Page 93 of 102 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I was concerned because that center plug looks so white. I would check for fuel spray in the carb throat before tearing the carbs apart again. IF you have a problem, then I'd pull the carbs to find out what's going on. If it's hitting 7000, it may be OK. After all you've been through with this thing, I just don't want you to burn up another jug.

Some carbs had caps on the pilot screws, some didn't. My Ultra 150 did not and when covered in grease and painted black, I never thought I would find them. Both of my
    STX 1100s had the caps. I've never had a hesitation problem with any of my CV carb equipped 'Skis.
    The white center plug has me concerned as well! I am not gonna panic yet since I know all cylinders are firing. When I was riding it I kept checking the triple pissers and the temp of all of them was equal. When I pulled the seat and "felt" the jugs they are all felt like the same temp. On the hose that is not the case but that makes sense. On the hose the water is not under the same amount of pressure as when in the water. Also, I have a well with fairly low water pressure.

With that said Kartracer has me concerned because when I rev the motor on the hose the pissers output pressure increases. I thought that was normal and correct but he says the pump shouldn't increase the pisser water pressure when the ski is on a hose. I don't know for sure but I assume the pump still has an effect on pressure in the coolant channels even on the hose. Maybe I am wrong. If you watch the video I posted you can see the pissers increase in pressure and output when I rev it.

Is that normal or is maybe something else wrong? Obviously in the water the pisser pressure will increase with revs but on a hose I am not sure it should change. My gut feeling is it should increase pressure since the pump is still running and forcing air and maybe some water into the cooling system.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    The white center plug has me concerned as well! I am not gonna panic yet since I know all cylinders are firing. When I was riding it I kept checking the triple pissers and the temp of all of them was equal. When I pulled the seat and "felt" the jugs they are all felt like the same temp. On the hose that is not the case but that makes sense. On the hose the water is not under the same amount of pressure as when in the water. Also, I have a well with fairly low water pressure.

With that said Kartracer has me concerned because when I rev the motor on the hose the pissers output pressure increases. I thought that was normal and correct but he says the pump shouldn't increase the pisser water pressure when the ski is on a hose. I don't know for sure but I assume the pump still has an effect on pressure in the coolant channels even on the hose. Maybe I am wrong. If you watch the video I posted you can see the pissers increase in pressure and output when I rev it.

Is that normal or is maybe something else wrong? Obviously in the water the pisser pressure will increase with revs but on a hose I am not sure it should change. My gut feeling is it should increase pressure since the pump is still running and forcing air and maybe some water into the cooling system.
    I have a theory on the pissers. Since the exhaust builds pressure when you rev it, that pressure creates back pressure on the cooling system because the cooling system is routed into the exhaust chamber. That would make the pissers piss harder...

On the pilot screws, there are no caps to drill. Take a closer look at the pics I posted. You can see on one of them the screw is visible, on the second pic you can see the grease packed into the hole. With the carbs installed, you could probably adjust them with a small screwdriver, maybe a flexible one, but to remove the o-rings they would have to be off the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by FL_Rider View Post
    I have a theory on the pissers. Since the exhaust builds pressure when you rev it, that pressure creates back pressure on the cooling system because the cooling system is routed into the exhaust chamber. That would make the pissers piss harder...After sitting around thinking about this,i agree with this,at the point where the water reenters with the exhaust theres gonna be back pressure that will make it change.

On the pilot screws, there are no caps to drill. Take a closer look at the pics I posted. You can see on one of them the screw is visible, on the second pic you can see the grease packed into the hole. With the carbs installed, you could probably adjust them with a small screwdriver, maybe a flexible one, but to remove the o-rings they would have to be off the boat.
    after thinking about it, I agree with this.

carbs.

you may have a set of carbs. that aren't in the best of condition,as far as the hesitation goes.a different set may work better.With that said i have just what you need.LOL

I shot a video of it running looking down the carbs. The slides are working but I can't see the fuel. Maybe I should use a better video camera than my phone?

I just got back from a 45 minute ride. I'm still taking it easy but I hit 6k rpms a few times briefly. No WOT at all this time. She seems to be running great. There is still that slight hesitation but I am willing to bet adjusting the pilot screw would fix it. I am going to wait to pull the carbs until I get to test it again with a fresh set of plugs. The season is almost over anyway so I can pull the carbs and tinker with them over the winter.

Here is a shot of the plugs after today's ride. They are looking good to me. I am curious how the new set is gonna look. Maybe it was just excess oil that got on the plugs in cylinders 1 and 3? I swapped the 2 and 3 cylinder plugs yesterday. There is still some black on the cylinder 2 plug but the electrodes all look good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3370.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	454275

+1
    Is the slight hesitation only when you punch it off idle? Or does it also do it if you're going steady at about 1/3 - 1/2 throttle and then punch it?

Quote Originally Posted by FL_Rider View Post
    Is the slight hesitation only when you punch it off idle? Or does it also do it if you're going steady at about 1/3 - 1/2 throttle and then punch it?
    I believe it is only off idle. I'll have to double check it the next time I have it out.

+1
    If that's the case, that would be an indicator that the lean condition is only in the low speed circuit. There are some threads on Greenhulk about carb tuning that are some real informative reading. Might be worth it to read up on it.

I'm glad to hear you were on the water and it was running great! Hopefully now you can enjoy the rewards of all the work you put in.

When can I do a WOT top speed run? Just for about 30 seconds or so. I want to see what it tops out at with this stock prop so I can give impros that information so they can repitch my Solas impeller. I was toping out at 7k rpms before the engine blew. I am curious if it revs any higher now.

Page 93 of 102 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast

Thread Information