Page 92 of 100 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FL_Rider View Post
    That is sound advice. Its better safe than sorry. Also, while your at it, see if the all the vacuum pistons move.

For that center plug, try to look way down inside the plug at the base of the porcelain. See if you see a brown ring starting. You might need a flashlight and magnifying glass.

By the way, did you ever turn or adjust the mixture screws when you had the carbs out?
    I know the "vacuum pistons" in the carbs are working. I checked them all with compressed air and they move as they should.

I never touched any of the adjustment screws on the carbs. Everyone here basically told me to leave them alone. Since the caps are still on the pilot jet screws I assume they haven't been messed with. I will happily remove the carbs and check whatever you guys recommend. With that said everyone here basically told me to leave everything alone. I've had the carbs off for two months. I fully cleaned and changed anything that looked off. I hope I don't have to remove them again since I could have done that when they were out but I will if necessary.

The best way I can describe my 'bogg/hestitation" is when I am cruising at low rpms and I increase the throttle quickly there is a slight delay before it reacts. Maybe that is normal for CV carbs. I know with a slide carb the response is instant. What I am experiencing might be considered normal for a two stroke ski with CV carbs and no power valve. I don't know. Maybe once I get her broken in I will try to shoot a video of it to help explain it better.

The mixture screws don't have caps. They do have the recesses filled with a dab of grease though so you don't see them. They are on the rearward face of the carbs right next to the oil line nipples.
    Did I somehow miss it or why does the service manual not mention anything about checking/adjusting these? More EPA bullshit?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    I know the "vacuum pistons" in the carbs are working. I checked them all with compressed air and they move as they should.

I never touched any of the adjustment screws on the carbs. Everyone here basically told me to leave them alone. Since the caps are still on the pilot jet screws I assume they haven't been messed with. I will happily remove the carbs and check whatever you guys recommend. With that said everyone here basically told me to leave everything alone. I've had the carbs off for two months. I fully cleaned and changed anything that looked off. I hope I don't have to remove them again since I could have done that when they were out but I will if necessary.

The best way I can describe my 'bogg/hestitation" is when I am cruising at low rpms and I increase the throttle quickly there is a slight delay before it reacts. Maybe that is normal for CV carbs. I know with a slide carb the response is instant. What I am experiencing might be considered normal for a two stroke ski with CV carbs and no power valve. I don't know. Maybe once I get her broken in I will try to shoot a video of it to help explain it better.
    I asked about the mixture screws to see if perhaps they were turned and maybe put the carbs out of calibration. Since you didn't touch them, they are probably still at stock settings.

I sent the pictures in case you decide to check them or fine tune the carbs.

And, after that I wondered if carb cleaner was sprayed into the low speed passages during cleaning. If so, it may have started eating the o-rings for the adjusters. That could cause an air leak. If you only used wd-40, then it wouldn't hurt the o-rings. With that being said, the o-rings may be old and hardened even without being hit by carb cleaner. I'm bringing this up just in case you are lean and have to hunt for the reason.

My Ultra responds instantly with no hesitation, so I don't think its normal. It may be a lean condition.

I asked about the mixture screws to see if perhaps they were turned and maybe put the carbs out of calibration. Since you didn't touch them, they are probably still at stock settings.

I sent the pictures in case you decide to check them or fine tune the carbs.

And, after that I wondered if carb cleaner was sprayed into the low speed passages during cleaning. If so, it may have started eating the o-rings for the adjusters. That could cause an air leak. If you only used wd-40, then it wouldn't hurt the o-rings. With that being said, the o-rings may be old and hardened even without being hit by carb cleaner. I'm bringing this up just in case you are lean and have to hunt for the reason.

My Ultra responds instantly with no hesitation, so I don't think its normal. It may be a lean condition.
    Interesting. I changed the orings on the valve seats but not either of the adjusters since I was told to leave them alone. I sprayed the carbs down with carb cleaner thoroughly many times while they were apart. I thought I had all the fragile bits removed when I did that. I wasn't aware the adjustment screws had orings on them. Maybe I should pull the carbs and inspect those orings and their current setting as well.

Are you sure there are two adjusters? The service manual mentions the pilot adjuster but that is it. The main jet doesn't seem to have an adjustment.

+1
    If you do decide to do it, the mixture screw has a spring, a tiny washer, and an o-ring on it. The washer and o-ring will likely stay in the hole and you'll have to make a tiny hook out of a paper clip to fish them out. You might want to put a large tray under the carbs when you do it in case the little parts fall out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    Are you sure there are two adjusters? The service manual mentions the pilot adjuster but that is it. The main jet doesn't seem to have an adjustment.
    There is a low speed adjuster for each carb. There are no high speed adjusters.

I only posted close up shots of two of the carbs instead of all three carbs. I didn't mean to imply there were only two adjuster screws.
    Last edited by FL_Rider; 09-28-2019 at 10:59 PM.

I only posted close up shots of two of the carbs instead of all three carbs. I didn't mean to imply there were only two adjuster screws.
    I know what you meant. I swear I posted asking what else I should check in the carbs and no one has mentioned this. Where were you then FL_Rider??? LOL

Since I saturated the carbs with brake and carb cleaner it sounds like I should be taking them off to inspect the orings you have mentioned.

I reread this post and this makes sense for my issue. My issue is not high speed related. It is a low speed issue. I am willing to bet my hesitation/bogg issue is related to either the orings on that adjustment screw or the setting itself. I think pulling my carbs and inspecting those low speed adjusters makes sense. I should check the pilot settings as well. I was told I have to drill out the caps to do that. Is that correct?

+1
    I was concerned because that center plug looks so white. I would check for fuel spray in the carb throat before tearing the carbs apart again. IF you have a problem, then I'd pull the carbs to find out what's going on. If it's hitting 7000, it may be OK. After all you've been through with this thing, I just don't want you to burn up another jug.

Some carbs had caps on the pilot screws, some didn't. My Ultra 150 did not and when covered in grease and painted black, I never thought I would find them. Both of my
    STX 1100s had the caps. I've never had a hesitation problem with any of my CV carb equipped 'Skis.

The pilot screws are the low speed screws. There are no high speed screws; to adjust the high speed mixture, you have to change out the internal metering orifice (jet). The pilot screws have the greatest effect on initial acceleration, not high speed. However, if the O-rings are bad I suppose it would make them run lean at all power settings.

Page 92 of 100 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast

Thread Information