Page 91 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
    I'm back in the water now. I installed the last new plug I had into cylinder 2. Here is after a 5 minute easy light throttle run highest rpm I hit was just over 5k. Mainly cruising around 4 to 4500 rpms with very minimal throttle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3356.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	454259
    I then swapped plugs with cylinders 2 and 3.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3359.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	454260

Quote Originally Posted by Bdesim View Post
    Check that fuel system for leaks. It leaks near the on off valve and the fuel filter. Check the fittings. Those air bubbles are trouble.
    I've been keeping an eye on it and I haven't seen any bubbles since I water tested it. Maybe there was some air in the system from when I installed the yellow line? I'll keep an eye on it whenever I'm running it on the hose.

If I wanted to test the fuel system for leaks how do I do it?

+1
    I'd pull the flame arrestor and run it on the trailer, in the water. See if you can see fuel spraying into the carb. You may have to use a mirror to see it.

I forgot to mention a tip for anyone that comes across this thread in the future. When testing the TPS the ski will cut the power after so many minutes of it not running. I was driving myself crazy because all of a sudden the meter would show zero. I wasted at least 20 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong with my meter before I figured out what was happening. So if your testing the TPS turn the power on the ski off and back on whenever your going to check it. If you walk away like I did then come back to test it and you get nothing now you know why.
    Last edited by beekermartin; 09-28-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I'd pull the flame arrestor and run it on the trailer, in the water. See if you can see fuel spraying into the carb. You may have to use a mirror to see it.
    Are you thinking cylinder 2 isn't getting fuel?

On the second water test today it seemed to be running very well. I held it at 6000 rpms for a few seconds and it was pulling strong and smooth. I blipped the throttle wide open for a half a second and it launched past 7k rpms and pulled very hard. Harder than it ever has before. If cylinder 2 wasn't getting fuel there is no way it would have pulled that hard.

I also removed the plug wires from one cylinder at a time. As we all know this ski will run on two cylinders easily on the trailer. But when I had the third cylinder wire disconnected and then pulled the second cylinder wire the ski died. Obviously running on only one cylinder isn't likely. Which means cylinder 2 was firing and must be getting gas because it ran fine with cylinders 1 and 2 only connected or 2 and 3 connected.

+1
    It didn't sound bad in the video. You say it runs good and smooth on the water? The center plug does look light in the early pic, but the later pic showed a little brown starting. Is the center plug wet when you remove it? It kind of hard to see a glare from the pic. Plugs 1 & 3 look darker than I would expect. Maybe they are getting extra oil on top of the 50:1 break-in premix plus injection... When you filled up the balancer chambers, is it possible a little extra oil went in, or was it measured?

Quote Originally Posted by FL_Rider View Post
    It didn't sound bad in the video. You say it runs good and smooth on the water? The center plug does look light in the early pic, but the later pic showed a little brown starting. Is the center plug wet when you remove it? It kind of hard to see a glare from the pic. Plugs 1 & 3 look darker than I would expect. Maybe they are getting extra oil on top of the 50:1 break-in premix plus injection... When you filled up the balancer chambers, is it possible a little extra oil went in, or was it measured?
    I measured. I did put a lot of extra 2 stroke oil in the crank case through the two holes on each cylinder in the base of the case. When I say a lot I mean I used a little squeeze bottle with a needle on it to squirt oil down onto the crank. The bottle is only 30 ml and I didn't empty the bottle. So not a huge amount but I did add extra oil to help with break in.

With that said I don't think I should worry yet. When I get a fresh set of plugs in there this week I will know a lot more. Maybe it is just extra oil that was burning off??? It did run very smooth and strong. Still a slight hesitation when hitting the throttle but that might be the pilot jets. I never touched them but I am wishing I had. Since they are still capped off I left them alone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    That is sound advice. Its better safe than sorry. Also, while your at it, see if the all the vacuum pistons move.

For that center plug, try to look way down inside the plug at the base of the porcelain. See if you see a brown ring starting. You might need a flashlight and magnifying glass.

By the way, did you ever turn or adjust the mixture screws when you had the carbs out?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    I measured. I did but a lot of extra 2 stroke oil in the crank case through the two holes on each cylinder in the base of the case. When I say a lot I mean I used a little squeeze bottle with a needle on it to squirt oil down onto the crank. They only hold 30 ml and I didn't empty the bottle.

With that said I don't think I should worry yet. When I get a fresh set of plugs in there this week I will know a lot more. Maybe it is just extra oil that was burning off.
    If you squirted it directly into the crankcase, I would think whatever you squirted would blow out shortly after starting the engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    I measured. I did put a lot of extra 2 stroke oil in the crank case through the two holes on each cylinder in the base of the case. When I say a lot I mean I used a little squeeze bottle with a needle on it to squirt oil down onto the crank. The bottle is only 30 ml and I didn't empty the bottle. So not a huge amount but I did add extra oil to help with break in.

With that said I don't think I should worry yet. When I get a fresh set of plugs in there this week I will know a lot more. Maybe it is just extra oil that was burning off??? It did run very smooth and strong. Still a slight hesitation when hitting the throttle but that might be the pilot jets. I never touched them but I am wishing I had. Since they are still capped off I left them alone.
    The mixture screws don't have caps. They do have the recesses filled with a dab of grease though so you don't see them. They are on the rearward face of the carbs right next to the oil line nipples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	454266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	454267  

Page 91 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread Information