Page 88 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    Easy enough to pop the spark arrestor on and try it. Maybe post a video
    I was thinking the same thing. I won't be able to until Friday night or Saturday though.

Is there anything I should do to help break it in on the trailer?

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Break it in on the trailer? .......You could back the trailer into the water to put a load on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    Break it in on the trailer? .......You could back the trailer into the water to put a load on the motor.
    I meant out of the water on the hose. I didn't know if letting it heat cycle a bunch of times would be helpful? Hopefully I'll have it in the water this Saturday.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Have you done a compression check on the new motor? It might be worth checking since you still seem to have something up on one cylinder.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Have you done a compression check on the new motor? It might be worth checking since you still seem to have something up on one cylinder.

Sean
    The first shot of the plugs was the old plugs. The second shot of the plugs was with the new plugs installed. The new plugs appear to be ok to me? I only used the old plugs to get it started in case they fouled do to the extra oil in the case.

I will do a compression test before I water test it.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    The first shot of the plugs was the old plugs. The second shot of the plugs was with the new plugs installed. The new plugs appear to be ok to me? I only used the old plugs to get it started in case they fouled do to the extra oil in the case.

I will do a compression test before I water test it.
    I was going off the fact you said you had hesitation or a bog. Something is causing it.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    I was going off the fact you said you had hesitation or a bog. Something is causing it.

Sean
    I gotcha. I will test the TPS and do a compression test before I water test it. I am also going to install a piece of clear fuel line where it enters the pump so I can see if there are any air bubbles in the fuel. After I am done with that I will shoot a video of it running on the hose. Hopefully the problems is the TPS isn't set properly or the TPS is faulty. If the problem isn't the TPS and everything else checks out ok I don't know what else it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    I ran it a few more times. There is still something not right in terms of throttle response. If I hit the gas quick it bogs before it revs up. This could be caused by the TPS. I haven't adjusted it yet but I will do that before I put it in the water. If that isn't the issue then I don't know what it might be. Definitely feels like either a lack of fuel or the spark curve isn't adjusting properly. This is with the spark arrestor off but I don't think that would cause this issue?
    I don't understand why you wouldn't have adjusted the TPS before you started the engine, you have everything to do it????

Quote Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
    I don't understand why you wouldn't have adjusted the TPS before you started the engine, you have everything to do it????
    I honestly don't know how much of an effect adjusting it properly actually does while running on the hose on the trailer. I didn't plan on water testing without checking it first. After all of this thread not one person has mentioned anything about the importance of the throttle position sensor being adjusted properly. I just assumed it really wasn't that big of a deal to get it running without that adjusted properly first. I set it in the middle of it's adjustment range figuring that would be safe to get it running.

I checked the compression tonight. All three cylinders are good. Here are some pics in order cylinder 1 then 2 then 3.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3333.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	454193

Name:	IMAG3332.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	454194

Name:	IMAG3334.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	454195

Edit: btw, I tested each cylinder with the plugs installed in the other cylinders and no throttle. I know there are different opinions on how test compression so I figured I would mention how I did it.
    Last edited by beekermartin; 09-26-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Page 88 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread Information