Page 86 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    The screws are also probably jis not phillips head. They look identical but are different.

Sean
    They probably are, however they don't have the JIS marking. I tried them with a JIS screw driver and it was a no-go.

2. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    No need to prime the pump. Put a teaspoon of gas into the carbs and it will fire off instantly. You'll probably have to prime it twice, but after it runs for 10 seconds, the fuel system will be full.
    that would be to simple?????????

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    The screws are also probably jis not phillips head. They look identical but are different.

Sean
    I replaced mine with stainless allen head screws since I almost stripped two of the Philip head looking screws removing them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
    that would be to simple?????????
    K.I.S.S.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    I replaced mine with stainless allen head screws since I almost stripped two of the Philip head looking screws removing them.
    That's what I had to do with my boat carbs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FL_Rider View Post
    Great news! Time to drop it in and ride.

Maybe you'll never know what caused the melt down now, but if everything checks out good now you should be good.

Since there was no pressure test last time, it could have been a gasket leak that killed it. Who knows.

One last thought on the meltdown...the solas prop may have been too steep. If you could only turn 6K with it on, it may have overloaded the engine. Just a thought.
    This is from Group K:
    The Group K write up on carb tuning can be found on this forum in a sticky in the Sea Doo section titled: carb tuning by the pros
    I just came across it again and figured I'd copy it into a post here.

Mid Range "Torque Peak" Seizure - This type of seizure is becoming much more common on modern pwcs. The newer boats have ignitions that are very retarded at idle speeds, then reach their advance peak around 6000-6200 rpm. After the peak advance, the timing retards slightly as rpms escalate. The rpm where ignition timing reaches maximum advance is usually the "torque peak" of the power band. That means that the engine is generating more sheer torque, per revolution, than at any other engine rpm. If your carburetion has an extreme lean condition in the mid-range, you can ride full throttle all day long. However the first time you release the throttle into that lean middle range, the combination of the lean mixture, and the heavy timing advance, can create detonation that will result in a swift piston seizure. The rider seldom suspects a lean mid range, and begins looking for other gremlins (air leaks, etc). It bears noting that a prop with too much pitch can cause exactly the same problem. The higher pitch will cause the rpms to be significantly lower (closer to the torque peak) at full throttle. The lower rpm number means more advanced timing, at full throttle, that can (once again) result in detonation ... and seizure. At Group K we recommend against aftermarket ignition components that have more "advanced" timing curves, because this added advance compounds this same "torque peak" seizure problem. We seriously question the benefits of any additional ignition advance (over stock) on modern pwcs, particularly in cases where pump gasoline is being used.

Again, just a theory...but something to think about during prop testing

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    K.I.S.S.
    YEP

The new WSM intake manifold and reed cage gaskets arrived. I gave them a light coat of Permatex aersol spray-a-gasket just to be safe. I am pressure testing it now but it appears to be good to go. It doesn't drop at all at 5 psi until at least 7 minutes. Then it drops just a tad bit between 7 minutes and 10. I am talking like .1 psi. That could easily be my cheap gauge test setup. Regardless it is appears to be good to go now. I put a thin layer of Three Bond over the small crack in the intake manifold. Again, the reed cage holds that cracked area in place in the unlikely event it was to break loose. The Three Bond should help secure it but if the Three Bond breaks loose it shouldn't harm the motor unlike JB Weld could if I had used that. It is rock solid now testing it with my fingers no tools. I think it will be safe.
    Hopefully this freaking thing will be in the water this weekend to test it out. I think I have done all I can do at this point to insure I have a successful test. My fingers are freaking crossed!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3261.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	453979

I couldn't get any help installing the motor today. I have a friend hopefully coming over tomorrow am. I will keep posting updates as I can. Hopefully I can at least get it started tomorrow. I won't have time to get it in the water unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    The new WSM intake manifold and reed cage gaskets arrived. I gave them a light coat of Permatex aersol spray-a-gasket just to be safe. I am pressure testing it now but it appears to be good to go. It doesn't drop at all at 5 psi until at least 7 minutes. Then it drops just a tad bit between 7 minutes and 10. I am talking like .1 psi. That could easily be my cheap gauge test setup. Regardless it is appears to be good to go now. I put a thin layer of Three Bond over the small crack in the intake manifold. Again, the reed cage holds that cracked area in place in the unlikely event it was to break loose. The Three Bond should help secure it but if the Three Bond breaks loose it shouldn't harm the motor unlike JB Weld could if I had used that. It is rock solid now testing it with my fingers no tools. I think it will be safe.
    Hopefully this freaking thing will be in the water this weekend to test it out. I think I have done all I can do at this point to insure I have a successful test. My fingers are freaking crossed!
    I don't see the three bond staying in place,the gas will lift it off once it gets saturated,it may not hurt anything if it goes through the engine,but whats the point of it even being there.I went to your first post yesterday & started reading,i'm sure theres gonna be a bunch of crying …….. after I tell you this,but it is whats it is,sounds like the first time out on this ski you came back happy as hell,you showed how the plugs looked,but then you listened to everyone tell you how you needed to do all this shit or you would be screwed,you had never worked on jet skis,but still listened to everyone,thats when all your problems started,one right after another,we have became pretty good friends through texting,from day one I told you, you were gonna hear some pretty extreme opinions on this forum,"for example" pull your pump every year to check it,B.S. you know a lot more about this ski now & should have something that's is gonna run good & should have plenty of fun on,either way if it blows up I have you covered with a engine, the offer still stands.Get it in,start it up,go have some fun, you deserve it.

Page 86 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread Information