Page 81 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

+1
    To test pump just hook your pressure tester to the pulse nipple. If it holds pressure, the diaphragm isn't leaking. Then apply pressure to fuel inlet nipple to verify air can pass. Then apply vacuum to fuel inlet nipple to verify check valve works. Then repeat pressure/vacuum on the outlet nipple.

The idea with the the fuel system check is to look for vacuum leaks in the fuel circuit. In the case of a small leak, the system can flow gas and not leak gas out, but air can in. This is because the supply line is under vacuum when the engine is running. In this test, you pressurize the whole circuit including the fuel tank. If you get a pressure drop, then you have a leak. Typical leak points are fuel selector valve and hose connections.

The test clear line is spliced in before the fuel pump or right at the return. It only takes a short piece for you to observe the flow of gas. Regular clear vinyl will work long enough for the test. Polyurethane fuel line will last a long time. I have one on my sea doo so I can check it visually at anytime. Its been on for a year.

Edit: The Kawasaki manual doesn't tell you how to test the pump, but the sea doo manual does. For the Mikuni carb, it says pressure test the pulse nipple to 4 PSI and it should hold for 10 seconds.
    Last edited by FL_Rider; 09-12-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: I wanted to add something

Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    I found the cooling side leak. It is the water pipe gaskets. They are brand new and I cleaned the surfaces but they aren't sealing. I flipped the gaskets around but that didn't help. Should I put some Three Bond on both sides of the gasket or is there something else I should use?

I connected the pump to one of the pisser fittings just because it was easier.
    I'm thinking I told you to snug those six nuts alittle before you tighten up the base nuts for the cylinders,it helps alittle to get the cylinders aligned,did you try to tighten the outside alittle more to see if it stops???don't tell me you tighten them to what the manual said blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
    I'm thinking I told you to snug those six nuts alittle before you tighten up the base nuts for the cylinders,it helps alittle to get the cylinders aligned,did you try to tighten the outside alittle more to see if it stops???don't tell me you tighten them to what the manual said blah blah blah.
    I did try tightening them a bit more while it was leaking but that didn't help. I didn't use a lot of force but more than enough. I sealed them with three bond last night. I'll be testing it tonight when I get home. Hopefully it is sealed now.

I just tested the cooling side and it is rock solid at 5 psi for well over 10 minutes! I think the motor is good to go.

I still want to test the oil pump and the electrical side but I am almost ready to put the motor back in the hull. I'm glad I did the pressure test and found the leak. Granted it probably wouldn't have leaked water but at least now I know for sure it is 100%.

+1
    Great news! Time to drop it in and ride.

Maybe you'll never know what caused the melt down now, but if everything checks out good now you should be good.

Since there was no pressure test last time, it could have been a gasket leak that killed it. Who knows.

One last thought on the meltdown...the solas prop may have been too steep. If you could only turn 6K with it on, it may have overloaded the engine. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by FL_Rider View Post
    Great news! Time to drop it in and ride.

Maybe you'll never know what caused the melt down now, but if everything checks out good now you should be good.

Since there was no pressure test last time, it could have been a gasket leak that killed it. Who knows.

One last thought on the meltdown...the solas prop may have been too steep. If you could only turn 6K with it on, it may have overloaded the engine. Just a thought.
    The Solas impeller was only installed for a short amount of time. The Piston failure, the second time, was with a ZXI 1100 impeller installed in the pump. In theory that impeller should have been bouncing off the rev limiter but it topped at 7k rpms. Another reason why I think cylinder 3 wasn't getting enough fuel since the ski wasn't pulling the RPMs it should have been.

The Solas impeller was only installed for a short amount of time. The Piston failure, the second time, was with a ZXI 1100 impeller installed in the pump. In theory that impeller should have been bouncing off the rev limiter but it topped at 7k rpms. Another reason why I think cylinder 3 wasn't getting enough fuel since the ski wasn't pulling the RPMs it should have been.
    I would think you would lose a cylinder firing if your fuel pump was just weak enough to do what your thinking,it takes 15 psi to open the NS so if your pump wasn't keeping up the pressure would drop & that cylinder would stop firing.IDK

+1
    I was thinking the damage could have started with the steeper prop, then finished off when you had the zxi prop installed. It can run fine in the beginning stages of meltdown and then seize after the damage gets a little more advanced. Just a theory...trying to think of all possible things.

It very well could be the pump too. I'm interested to know if that old pump diaphragm passes a pressure test.

Impeller caused none of this

10. +1 by:

223 hours, 17 years old.but it can't be crank seals?????

12. +1 by:

Page 81 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread Information