Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    After a solid minute of WOT at 7k rpms I let off the throttle and it died. I went to restart it and it just clicked. It then restarted but ran poorly for a second. Luckily I was close to the ramp so I went slowly over and shut it down. Cylinder 3 plug looks very different. Not like when it burnt the hole in the piston but it still doesn't look right. I think I am gonna pull the head to see if the piston is ok. My friend has a boroscope camera I could use. Maybe I'll try that first.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2789.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	451387

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    I bet shes hitting rev limiter not gunna go higher rpm
    It doesn't feel like it is hitting a rev limiter. I have a cheap rpm gauge I can throw on it to double check the factory gauge. Unfortunately I am nervous to ride it anymore until I check out cylinder 3 again.

I decided to just pull the head. Piston looks ok but there are some minor marks on the top above the arrow that I am not sure about. Zoom in on the photo. There are small white specks. I can feel them with my finger. I don't know what a piston with probably less than two hours on it should look like. I am thinking I should pull the carbs and go through them fully including a pop off test. I haven't done that yet.
    Edit: I added some shots of the cylinder head and the oimy residue on my finger.

Name:	IMAG2803.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	451388

Name:	IMAG2807.jpg 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	451389

Name:	IMAG2808.jpg 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	451390

Name:	IMAG2811.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	451391

Name:	IMAG2813.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	451392

Is there metal particles in the goop in your hand? Its hard to tell from picture. There shouldn't be goop like that in the cylinder

Is there metal particles in the goop in your hand? Its hard to tell from picture. There shouldn't be goop like that in the cylinder
    I couldn't tell but it is possible there is some metal in it. I just put it back together and it seems to be running like shit. It is actually cranking over oddly as well. I have a bad feeling about this.

I don't have a compression tester with me but all three cylinders seem to have compression when I crank it over with the plugs removed. All three feel the same in terms of pressure coming out of the spark plug holes.

I got a feeling that case should be split and that crank inspected i think you going to find some bearings on there way out

I got a feeling that case should be split and that crank inspected i think you going to find some bearings on there way out
    Your probably right. I changed the plug and it seems to be running better. It isn't idiling at the same RPMs it was. I haven't touched the idle adjustment.

Regardless it is obvious cylinder 3 isn't running as well as the other two. I mine as well pull the carbs and start there. No point in running it like this. Odds are I'll just create more damage.

The wash on the piston looks fine dont think you have a carb issue. unfortunately i think you have an issue with lower end. Continue to run you will window the case :/. Before going any further i would split that case.

Look at the carb on cylinder 3. Obviously something is wrong with that cylinder still. There shouldn't be oil and gas on the cap. The other two cylinders carb caps are dry. I am not gonna run this anymore until I find something wrong. Hopefully it is a carb issue. It seemed to be running normally again before I pulled the spark arrestor.

Name:	IMAG2816.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	451395

Name:	IMAG2815.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	451396

The wash on the piston looks fine dont think you have a carb issue. unfortunately i think you have an issue with lower end. Continue to run you will window the case :/. Before going any further i would split that case.
    I am gonna pull the carbs now and start working on them. If I don't find anything obviously wrong then splitting the case will be my next step. I will need a lot of help with that. I imagine I would have to send the crank out to be rebuilt.

Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread Information