Page 4 of 100 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    Oil lines get brittle with age and give no warning when they are going to break/split. I bet you will understand when you go to replace and see how they fall apart in your hands. I dont think you know how important it is to replace those, i have seen many come victim to a broken oil line.
    I do understand. I plan on replacing them before the season for sure. It is obvious at this point that the oil/fuel lines and the pump are the most likely to fail without warning. I will make sure both are good to go before the season starts. For now I'm going check the compression with a more accurate gauge. If they are within spec I will do an easy water test. If the water test goes well I will work on replacing the lines and greasing or rebuilding the pump.

+1
    beekermartin,

I have purchased over a dozen used 'Skis and restored them over the years. Some were intended for use by guests at the lake, some intended for vacation use in the Gulf, and several came as part of a package deal that I really didn't want but I figured I might make a few bucks off of them. Most of them required more parts & labor than I initially thought. I made money on a couple of them, but when you consider the hours involved, I was working for less than minimum wage.

2-stroke engines are basically simple, but the 1200 engine in your 'Ski won't tolerate anything amiss. Before you run it, I would ask if you know how to 'read' spark plugs. It is imperative that your engine not run lean or it will self-destruct very quickly. Look at the spark plugs as they are now. Probably won't tell you much since it's been running on the trailer. You'll want to check them several times during your first couple of hours to make sure it's not lean.

I think most of the people here hope you find this 'Ski to meet your needs without breaking the bank. It's not a bad machine, but it will need some TLC. If you're willing to learn how to work on it, we're willing to walk you through it. The oil lines, for instance, are not difficult, but time consuming to replace. The jet pump isn't difficult, but there are a few special tools you'll need. Same with the carburetors. The fact that it was running well before is good! The worst thing is if it doesn't run right and some numbskull tries to fix it without knowing what he's doing.

Before you begin, I would recommend that you buy a service manual. You can probably get a PDF copy on Ebay, or from someone here. A torque wrench is important, as it a spark plug gapping tool. Basic metric hand tools are needed. A flashlight and mirror are useful, too.

Good luck!

I will be testing the compression again tonight with this brand new Snap On tool. I work for a Honda car dealer and the shop just got this tool in for all the techs to use. This one should be dead on balls accurate since it is brand new. I will post my results after I test it tonight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1969.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	447755

Do I check each cylinder with all the plugs removed or leave the plugs in the two cylinders I'm not testing? Does it matter? Obviously I'll remove the plug wires.
    Last edited by beekermartin; 04-30-2019 at 02:06 PM.

+1
    Some people leave the other plugs in, some take them all out. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but it's less load on the starter if you remove all the plugs (which is how I do it). Ground the spark plugs on the grounding lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Some people leave the other plugs in, some take them all out. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but it's less load on the starter if you remove all the plugs (which is how I do it). Ground the spark plugs on the grounding lugs.
    Sounds good. I'm leaving work now so I'll have the results in a couple of hours.

I just finished testing the compression. They are all between 126 and 129! I believe that is perfect right?

I tested with all plugs removed and the engine cold. I had the battery on a charger so it was fully charged. I cranked for 6 seconds with the throttle held wide open for each cylinder. The spark arrester was removed during this test. I think it is safe to say compression is not an issue.

Name:	IMAG1979.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	447770

Name:	IMAG1977.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	447771

Name:	IMAG1976.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	447772

7. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    I will be testing the compression again tonight with this brand new Snap On tool. I work for a Honda car dealer and the shop just got this tool in for all the techs to use. This one should be dead on balls accurate since it is brand new. I will post my results after I test it tonight.

Do I check each cylinder with all the plugs removed or leave the plugs in the two cylinders I'm not testing? Does it matter? Obviously I'll remove the plug wires.
    dead on balls accurate you say?

here we go _again_

oh yeah, like steve said, plugs out on the compression test but be damm sure to stick the plug wires onto the grounding three plug wire posts that should be somewhere on the engine. iaf they readings seem low or off a couple of drops of injector oil down the jugs and a retest will tell you if the rings are just worn, or the bores are shot

start buying beer for the mechanic at the shop you're friendly with. that's gonna save you a bundle buying tools you'll likely use just one time a year. like that jinormous allen key you need for the pump inspection

btw, thats the same compression gauge used by the famous desert jetski wrench....mine is vinatge 1982! however and STILL DOBA. I had to eat steakums for three weeks to swing buying it back then( I was a rather young 24 then). the flat rate was $10 an hour for a kawasaki dealership tech

Yes those are very good numbers, wonder if the heads are milled since stock is about 110

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    don't crank an engine with a charger connected. you'll smoke the charger

DOBA, it's an industry term! One of my favorite movies.

Turboman, I have no idea. Is there a way to check without removing the heads? Should I run 91/93 octane since the compression is higher than it should be or is 87 fine?

Here is a shot of the gauge I used to test the compression before I bought it. Almost the same tool but much older and obviously the gauge is way out of calibration. I am lucky the shop just got this brand new tool for me to borrow. Talk about perfect timing!

Name:	IMAG1880.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	447775

Page 4 of 100 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread Information