Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Run it premixed air bubbles will work there way out.

I run an ounce per gallon always in my tank.

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    Run it premixed air bubbles will work there way out.

I run an ounce per gallon always in my tank.
    Running it premixed even if the pump is working properly won't cause any issues besides excessive smoke? You run it with an ounce per gallon always just for a bit of extra protection?

Don't worry about a little air bubble. What you need to worry about is the dinky little clamps holding the Oil Lines on. Eventually, those oil lines become more brittle over time; and one (or more) of those little clamps will fail and the Oil Line will off. This happened to me years ago on this very Ski.

Solution: Just leave the set up as is. Run a 60:1 mixture in your gas tank; that way when an oil line pops off you won't lose your engine. Obviously at that point you could replace with fresh Oil Lines / Clamps. The Plugs will be a little dark . . . but the Ski will still run great

BTW, this is a great Ski. I got well over 400 hrs on my engine. I did take exceptionally good care of it. JB

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Don't worry about a little air bubble. What you need to worry about is the dinky little clamps holding the Oil Lines on. Eventually, those oil lines become more brittle over time; and one (or more) of those little clamps will fail and the Oil Line will off. This happened to me years ago on this very Ski.

Solution: Just leave the set up as is. Run a 60:1 mixture in your gas tank; that way when an oil line pops off you won't lose your engine. Obviously at that point you could replace with fresh Oil Lines / Clamps. The Plugs will be a little dark . . . but the Ski will still run great

BTW, this is a great Ski. I got well over 400 hrs on my engine. I did take exceptionally good care of it. JB
    The clips I have on there now are brand new. They actually hold on very well. I tried to pull the lines off with the new clips installed and it is far from easy. The stock spring clips that I replaced were definitely worn out and didn't hold well. With that said all of the oil lines were still attached properly and the lines themselves were actually not brittle at all. I have no way of knowing if they were the original lines since I just bought the ski. I had posted an eBay link for the spring clips I used earlier in this thread. I plan on checking the oil lines frequently as I am aware of the risk now. I know there is a small possibility a line could pop off randomly and that would be catastrophic. With the new lines and spring clips installed I am willing to bet that will not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    The clips I have on there now are brand new. They actually hold on very well. I tried to pull the lines off with the new clips installed and it is far from easy. The stock spring clips that I replaced were definitely worn out and didn't hold well. With that said all of the oil lines were still attached properly and the lines themselves were actually not brittle at all. I have no way of knowing if they were the original lines since I just bought the ski. I had posted an eBay link for the spring clips I used earlier in this thread. I plan on checking the oil lines frequently as I am aware of the risk now. I know there is a small possibility a line could pop off randomly and that would be catastrophic. With the new lines and spring clips installed I am willing to bet that will not happen.
    My comment was really geared towards "cheap insurance". Two Stroke Oil is relatively cheap so why put some in the gas tank too. It completely removes the chance of a ruined engine if one of those lines pop off (it happened to me and all the clips / lines looked good).

Good luck with it. Again, great Ski. One of my all time Favs! JB

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    My comment was really geared towards "cheap insurance". Two Stroke Oil is relatively cheap so why put some in the gas tank too. It completely removes the chance of a ruined engine if one of those lines pop off (it happened to me and all the clips / lines looked good).

Good luck with it. Again, great Ski. One of my all time Favs! JB
    The cost of the oil isn't my concern. If the ski is designed to run at 50:1 with a proper working oil pump and you are running 60:1 in the tank than that seems like an excessive amount of oil. I don't know if that can damage the motor or not since it will be burning so much more oil. I honestly have no idea.

I do think I will take Turbo's advice and run 1 ounce for each gallon of gas in the tank because adding a bit more oil can't hurt. I imagine that 50:1 is the minimum the motor needs to be safe. The EPA is the main reason most 2 strokes run at 50:1 now which is low compared to what two strokes used years ago.

Running oil in the fuel and losing an oil line will not save your engine. Theres alot of things the oil system does then just lube those cylinders on the 1200's.

8. +1 by:

Steve45, any tips for removing the display so I can seal it up? I don't see how to remove it. The service manual doesn't seem to show how or I am missing it.

You have to take the whole top plastic off, remove display, unbolt rubber boot holdet and use 3m 5100

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    You have to take the whole top plastic off, remove display, unbolt rubber boot holdet and use 3m 5100
    Damn. Sounds like a bigger job than I thought.

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread Information