Page 137 of 138 FirstFirst ... 87127135136137138 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1372
    +1
    I'd be worried about damaging the compression tester.

long time viewer of this thread, just finished reading the last 20 or so that i hadnt caught up on.

Personally this looks like an ignition problem on that cylinder, the shape of the scaring in the center would have me looking at ignition everytime, i've blown up a couple of second hand ski's and most of them were due to ignition issues.
    Your issue seems to come from WOT runs? ignition breaking down.

My previous STX-R used to not run above 30mph for the first 2 or 3 mins untill the cdi box got warm and then it ran perfect(i replaced the cdi box and it fixed my issue)

My understanding is sometimes These wont fire a cylinder and it fill with fuel then suddenly will ignite it and cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by kawanewguy View Post
    long time viewer of this thread, just finished reading the last 20 or so that i hadnt caught up on.

Personally this looks like an ignition problem on that cylinder, the shape of the scaring in the center would have me looking at ignition everytime, i've blown up a couple of second hand ski's and most of them were due to ignition issues.
    Your issue seems to come from WOT runs? ignition breaking down.

My previous STX-R used to not run above 30mph for the first 2 or 3 mins untill the cdi box got warm and then it ran perfect(i replaced the cdi box and it fixed my issue)

My understanding is sometimes These wont fire a cylinder and it fill with fuel then suddenly will ignite it and cause issues.
    Thanks for reading and following! I know this thread has become extremely long. I appreciate anyone who reads it all and tries to help.

That is a very interesting thought about the ignition. I don't have the issue yours did though. Mine runs properly even when cold. I don't push it hard until it warms up for a minute or so but I never noticed any issues with lack of acceleration when cold. It also seems to run perfectly. In other words there are no signs of a misfire. I assume if there was a misfire I would be able to feel it but possibly not. You are right though my issue only happens when I go WOT for a minute or more. It does appear to be a lean condition but I guess an ignition issue is also a possibility.

So far it is running perfectly but I haven't gone WOT for more than a few seconds yet. Our lovely RI DEM busted my balls the other day for doing donuts on our local pond. I was the only one on the water at the time and he still gave me a hard time. My only option to ride aggressively near my home might be to put it in salt water. I really don't want to deal with salt water corrosion but I don't have much of a choice if I want to be able to haven any fun riding it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    It should be mentioned that cavitation the pump (by doing doughnuts) significantly reduces cooling water going into the engine

Iíve serviced plenty of skis of all models and makes damaged by the practice

A minute or two isnít going to hurt much but a slugfest can overheat the engine

I have spoken

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    It should be mentioned that cavitation the pump (by doing doughnuts) significantly reduces cooling water going into the engine

I’ve serviced plenty of skis of all models and makes damaged by the practice

A minute or two isn’t going to hurt much but a slugfest can overheat the engine

I have spoken
    I appreciate that info. I've never done it for that long. Now that I know it can cause the engine to overheat I will be sure to not do it for long periods. It sure is fun though!

Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    Thanks for reading and following! I know this thread has become extremely long. I appreciate anyone who reads it all and tries to help.

That is a very interesting thought about the ignition. I don't have the issue yours did though. Mine runs properly even when cold. I don't push it hard until it warms up for a minute or so but I never noticed any issues with lack of acceleration when cold. It also seems to run perfectly. In other words there are no signs of a misfire. I assume if there was a misfire I would be able to feel it but possibly not. You are right though my issue only happens when I go WOT for a minute or more. It does appear to be a lean condition but I guess an ignition issue is also a possibility.

So far it is running perfectly but I haven't gone WOT for more than a few seconds yet. Our lovely RI DEM busted my balls the other day for doing donuts on our local pond. I was the only one on the water at the time and he still gave me a hard time. My only option to ride aggressively near my home might be to put it in salt water. I really don't want to deal with salt water corrosion but I don't have much of a choice if I want to be able to haven any fun riding it.
    i still believe its ignition however - I wouldve given the carbs the biff for anther set i knew were good the first time anyway, something is causing is to get super hot in that centre spot., which is either ignition, octane issues(ignition), spark plug in too hot range(over voltaged and getting hot too) and possibly a lean condition.

a Lean condition would cause that cylinder to get super heated, however if you've been running premix aswell it shouldnt burn up like that, biff the carbs and fuel rail it will either fix the problem or it is ignition dont spend more money diagnosing it, its at the point of replace bits now.

+1
    Hmmm... When I ride my 150, I spend most of my time doing donuts, jumping, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kawanewguy View Post
    i still believe its ignition however - I wouldve given the carbs the biff for anther set i knew were good the first time anyway, something is causing is to get super hot in that centre spot., which is either ignition, octane issues(ignition), spark plug in too hot range(over voltaged and getting hot too) and possibly a lean condition.

a Lean condition would cause that cylinder to get super heated, however if you've been running premix aswell it shouldnt burn up like that, biff the carbs and fuel rail it will either fix the problem or it is ignition dont spend more money diagnosing it, its at the point of replace bits now.
    If I was to replace something ignition related what would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Hmmm... When I ride my 150, I spend most of my time doing donuts, jumping, etc.
    I imagine the 150 is even more fun than the STX-R for that. Maybe this winter I'll get started on rebuilding the 150 I picked up with all the parts. It will be a total rebuild it looks like but it is doable.

+1
    Never ridden an STX-R, but I've owned STX-1100s, STX-12F, STX-15F, etc. NO COMPARISON! The 150 is the most fun JetSki ever made!

Page 137 of 138 FirstFirst ... 87127135136137138 LastLast

Thread Information