Page 135 of 138 FirstFirst ... 85125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1372

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    I took it out again. This time I went a bit higher in the rpms but no more than half throttle. I mostly stayed between 3k and 4k rpms under light throttle. I did give it a few blips of about 3/4 throttle but only for a second at a time. It seems to be running perfectly. Of course I've been here before. It has always seemed to run great at this stage. I did bring a laser thermometer with me today. I checked the cylinders a few times and they were all between 108 to 112 degrees Fahrenheit. The water coming out of the triple pissers also felt the same.

The next time out I'll try a few WOT pulls for a second or two followed by some easy throttle to cool it down. I am obviously very nervous to go WOT. Is there a way I can check the plugs for a lean condition with only a short burst at WOT?
    I guess you could bring a fresh set of plugs out, swap them out on the water after the ski is warmed up, hit a full throttle run immediately after installing then pull and look?

Quote Originally Posted by SeawardToast View Post
    I guess you could bring a fresh set of plugs out, swap them out on the water after the ski is warmed up, hit a full throttle run immediately after installing then pull and look?
    That was my original plan but Steve made it sound like a short 10 second WOT run wouldn't be enough to tell me anything. I am afraid to go longer than that without knowing if I still have a lean condition in cylinder 3.

I finally got around to checking the compression tonight. I installed the compression gauge into one cylinder and left the spark plugs installed in the other two. This is with a cold engine and with me holding the throttle wide open.

Good news first. They are all within a few psi of each other. The bad news is they are all about half of what they should be. Cylinders 1 and 2 are about 71 to 73 psi. Cylinder 3 is at 75 psi.

I thought maybe the compression gauge was off so I tested it against another gauge I had using my compressor and it is spot on.

Why are they all so low? The battery light was flashing while cranking but it sounds like it is spinning more than fast enough. It also fired right up when I connected the spark plug wires. With the 42cc ADA racing heads I was getting about 150 psi before. Now I am half that. What gives??? This doesn't make any sense!

Before I completely panic I am going to charge the battery and try again. Maybe that is all it is?
    Last edited by beekermartin; 07-22-2021 at 07:01 PM.

+1
    I'm not sure that it would even run with compression in the 70's.

How does it run in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I'm not sure that it would even run with compression in the 70's.

How does it run in the water?
    I agree. It runs perfectly in the water. I have to assume the issue is the battery or the starter isn't cranking fast enough to show the real compression level. Can I safely check the compression by letting the motor run on the other two cylinders for a few seconds? That would eliminate the battery and the starter from the equation. I know the answer is probably no but I figured I would ask.

+1
    Well, I really don't know.

Tell us how it works!

I remembered that I checked the compression before installed the exhaust and carbs and it was in the 70s then too. It is highly unlikely a low battery is the reason for my low compression reading. I put the battery on a charger when I left for work. I will check the compression again when I get home but I doubt I will see any difference. Is it possible the rebuilt starter is the issue? I doubt the starter is the issue as well but I am running out of ideas.

I did reuse the original oring seals on the ADA racing heads. Is it possible the oring seals are the issue?

I do agree that if my compression is really in the 70s that the ski wouldn't be running as well as it is.

+1
    Long hose on the compression tester?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Long hose on the compression tester?
    I emailed ADA Racing about this issue and they told me it could be the compression tester hose. They said they had a Snap On compression tester that the hose failed on and was giving false readings. I am using a Snap On compression tester. I picked up a compression tester from Harbor Freight tonight. I am going to test it tomorrow with the new tester. Hopefully I get better results.

+1
    The longer the hose, and the longer the spark plug hole adaptor, the lower the compression number will be.

Page 135 of 138 FirstFirst ... 85125133134135136137 ... LastLast

Thread Information