Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Has anyone done it???

I have searched and searched and find one thread talking about welding the clutch solid, and a few mention it in other threads and breaking the shafts...

but what I want to know is, and I am sure I am not the first. But I donít understand with a blow off why the clutch is needed. I have supercharger car. And they donít break shafts or sheer teeth when you lift or come unhooked, or stall....

so has anyone actually tried it? Or is it all just talk? I assume some race tream tried it before making 2k clutchís...

and not just welding it, but machining a solid gear for the replacement of the clutch. Would be lighter too.. less rotational force to slow.. same for other gears. Heíll remake all 3 heavy duty harden.. and light. ??

+1
    my clutch just failed and locked solid, ski lost performance it was weird would rev up but had no go on the water almost like cavitation. hoping once i have replaced it all im back to running 70mph as i was before.

+1
    Weird not sure why it would do that... unless shaft s broken when it locked solid.

Mine just went out and is freely spinning both ways. All apart waiting in parts delivering today.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    Weird not sure why it would do that... unless shaft s broken when it locked solid.

Mine just went out and is freely spinning both ways. All apart waiting in parts delivering today.
    they can fail either way apparently and free spinning and no boost is more common (mine would still boost), hoping mine was just an old clutch and WOT and not more sinister......are you doing it yourself? Its taking me way longer than it should but i have to stop every time it rains......

refitting the oil pump was a challenge and i snagged gasket so had to order another...

+1
    Yes doing my self. Got it all the way down and the bottom bolt was rusted and stripped... so that was a battle. Got it out and oil pump out, and clutch. New one delivered today... so will clean old gasket off, and assemble back.

Will be carefull with gasket. How did you snag it?

Also how did did you torque the crank bolt? In debate on which way I want to hold the motor from spinning. One video I think the guy put a pipe wrench in the shaft? Ha

+1
    Yes doing my self. Got it all the way down and the bottom bolt was rusted and stripped... so that was a battle. Got it out and oil pump out, and clutch. New one delivered today... so will clean old gasket off, and assemble back.

Will be carefull with gasket. How did you snag it?

Also how did did you torque the crank bolt? In debate on which way I want to hold the motor from spinning. One video I think the guy put a pipe wrench in the shaft? Ha

Well very unscientific I watched that video wow he is quick! Took me an evening to get old gasket off real pita! I have a solas so can’t use pipe wrench buddy lent his tool and doesn’t know who too so I put some wood into the intake and wedged the pump seems to work just not sure if it damaged prop pipe wrench or buddy with spanner under ski will work or take the cone off pump and put a socket and bar the nut under the cone (good opportunity to check pump bearings and grease)

gasket moved sideways and I managed to nick it in 2 places with the threads of the bolts was rushing in bad light to try and get pump on that cost me put gasket on motor first with a dab of rtv gasket sealer to hold it still if you can that way won’t snag it with pump fingers crossed I didn’t snag it again! I’m also replacing the washers on the oil bypass line as they look shitty and I lost one (doh)

buddy who has done a few says getting old gasket off is worst bit of the job but critical also importance of priming the oil system and super charger before running there is a small 7mm bolt in the SC where you can add oil and should watch till oil makes there before running
    Last edited by HDAV; 04-26-2019 at 02:30 PM.

+1
    I just have to ask, does your car run at top speed for 5 or ten minutes at a time, at 8000 rpm then suddenly go to idle or back to hitting the rev limiter? Superchargers/turbine air compressors/centravac chiller units, devices with a turbine wheel(supercharger wheel) do not like air flowing backwards which happens when the load changes suddenly. It is called SURGE and it can push the impeller/wheel into the backing plate or the volute in front, damaging the supercharged. It is also hard on bearings and shafts, and it why the SHO/SVHO has a free spinning clutch which also lets the supercharger freewheel a bit when backing off the throttle fast. Otherwise the supercharger has to slow down as fast as the engine does and that also causes the damage listed above. If you weld one up and it works well you might start a new business making solid clutch replacements, but I would imagine there would be more broken supercharger shafts with no clutch.

I have searched and searched and find one thread talking about welding the clutch solid, and a few mention it in other threads and breaking the shafts...

but what I want to know is, and I am sure I am not the first. But I don’t understand with a blow off why the clutch is needed. I have supercharger car. And they don’t break shafts or sheer teeth when you lift or come unhooked, or stall....

so has anyone actually tried it? Or is it all just talk? I assume some race tream tried it before making 2k clutch’s...

and not just welding it, but machining a solid gear for the replacement of the clutch. Would be lighter too.. less rotational force to slow.. same for other gears. He’ll remake all 3 heavy duty harden.. and light. ??

but what I want to know is, and I am sure I am not the first. But I don’t understand with a blow off why the clutch is needed. I have supercharger car. And they don’t break shafts or sheer teeth when you lift or come unhooked, or stall....

so has anyone actually tried it? Or is it all just talk? I assume some race tream tried it before making 2k clutch’s...

and not just welding it, but machining a solid gear for the replacement of the clutch. Would be lighter too.. less rotational force to slow.. same for other gears. He’ll remake all 3 heavy duty harden.. and light. ??

You like me, apply everything we have done with our cars into these machines. After all, they are just internal combustion engines/ air pumps and everything should apply.

I agree 100% with you, that said I’m guessing with a non race ski this would hurt throttle response. The clutch acts somewhat like a torque converter too tight converter the motor bogs and you have turbo lag. On a 100% Race machine, I’m sure cost is the reason nobody has machined gears for these things.

Good luck

+1
    The fact how long it stays at 8k is not the issue.

and the fact it free wheels is actually working against the issue of throttle shut/air surge as it’s still spinning with positive boost... it does not free wheel the other way.

and yes I can rev the car to 6k and clutch dump it on slicks... the charger is fine even with instant rom changes.... and the point of running a light super charger spring in a BOV Is to stop compressor surge...

so thats where I am like... hmm why not?

+1
    It can be the issue because a supercharged car is not operating at 8000 rpm + skimming across the chop and coming unhooked time after time, hitting the limiter and rapidly hooking up again. The momentum and inertia are working overtime against the parts involved which are spinning at a way higher speed (25,280 rpm supercharger wheel at 8000 crank rpm) than the crankshaft. Nice write up about inertia below. However, I am all for you trying it out, because a lot of new ideas become the next big thing. Good luck!

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135552

The fact how long it stays at 8k is not the issue. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135552

and the fact it free wheels is actually working against the issue of throttle shut/air surge as it’s still spinning with positive boost... it does not free wheel the other way.

and yes I can rev the car to 6k and clutch dump it on slicks... the charger is fine even with instant rom changes.... and the point of running a light super charger spring in a BOV Is to stop compressor surge...

so thats where I am like... hmm why not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information