Red face 1998 SLTH 700 Twin, questions before 1st ride (new to the Polaris family)

Hi everyone, glad to finally join the Polaris family! I just purchased my first ski ever, a '98 SLTH 700 dual carb 2 cyl (domestic red engine). I was looking for an SLTX 1050 3 cyl but ended up w/this as I was able to get it for $700 w/trailer and I liked it. I am attaching some photos as I am trying to understand what's needed to be done ASAP. I am worried particularly about the Ignition Update Kit (which comes w/$600 bill), although the CDI & surrounding cables look new (can't locate the famous code that tells us whether it's stock or upgrade though). Gauge doesn't work, looks like it's been burned by the sun, and when I asked about the hours I was told "well..I just bought it like 4 months ago and I mean I've used it like 3-4 times in fresh and salt water, the motor is fresh and it rides just fine". Added to the fact that this machine is 21 yo sounds like "it still works and you should be happy about it" to me. Seller claimed he's done a carb rebuild (I did find extra new carb gaskets under the seat, which he said he also just upholstered) and that it's "ready to water" as it was last used 3 weeks ago. Ski turns right after pressing the ignition, at least as of now, but haven't checked the compression yet - won't put it on water until I'm confident the basics have been checked, hence my request for help from you experts. He also said it does only premix (no oil tank at all, not checked if the pump is still there but I did see 1 or 2 loose thin lines just hanging). I will have to see/learn what's the right & safe ration of oil/gas. The gas tank has 2 small holes for screws on top, any idea what they are there for? I'm trying to find the diagram but, if not needed, I'd just seal them. Are the lines the stock 'grey' ones that get stuck w/gas green 'glue'? Hull as some scratches here and there, woods of trailer are wrapped up though. I might sound hilarious but my idea was to get a decent reliable cruiser for short distance rides 'n some fishing in the Keys. Please let me know, any help/input would be really appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190419_195015b.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	447593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190425_194328.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	447594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190425_194335.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	447595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190425_194405.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	447596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190425_194529_Burst01.jpg 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	447597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190425_194623.jpg 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	447598  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190425_200507.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	447599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-04-19-16-26-55.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	447600  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Click here

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattia1988 View Post
    Hi everyone, glad to finally join the Polaris family! I just purchased my first ski ever, a '98 SLTH 700 dual carb 2 cyl (domestic red engine). I was looking for an SLTX 1050 3 cyl but ended up w/this as I was able to get it for $700 w/trailer and I liked it. I am attaching some photos as I am trying to understand what's needed to be done ASAP. I am worried particularly about the Ignition Update Kit (which comes w/$600 bill), although the CDI & surrounding cables look new (can't locate the famous code that tells us whether it's stock or upgrade though). Gauge doesn't work, looks like it's been burned by the sun, and when I asked about the hours I was told "well..I just bought it like 4 months ago and I mean I've used it like 3-4 times in fresh and salt water, the motor is fresh and it rides just fine". Added to the fact that this machine is 21 yo sounds like "it still works and you should be happy about it" to me. Seller claimed he's done a carb rebuild (I did find extra new carb gaskets under the seat, which he said he also just upholstered) and that it's "ready to water" as it was last used 3 weeks ago. Ski turns right after pressing the ignition, at least as of now, but haven't checked the compression yet - won't put it on water until I'm confident the basics have been checked, hence my request for help from you experts. He also said it does only premix (no oil tank at all, not checked if the pump is still there but I did see 1 or 2 loose thin lines just hanging). I will have to see/learn what's the right & safe ration of oil/gas. The gas tank has 2 small holes for screws on top, any idea what they are there for? I'm trying to find the diagram but, if not needed, I'd just seal them. Are the lines the stock 'grey' ones that get stuck w/gas green 'glue'? Hull as some scratches here and there, woods of trailer are wrapped up though. I might sound hilarious but my idea was to get a decent reliable cruiser for short distance rides 'n some fishing in the Keys. Please let me know, any help/input would be really appreciated!

3. +1 by:

+1
    Those spark plug wires are the type used with the update ignition coil- which means it should have the updated ignition.

The picture showing the front of the engine shows the oil pump block off plate. The threaded holes in the gas tank are used to hold the oil tank, they should not go INTO the fuel tank, I believe they are sealed.

5. +1 by:

+1
    I run all my premix machines at 40:1 ratio.

7. +1 by:

Thanks for your replies guys, so I see there are several owner's manuals but couldn't find the one for 1998 SLTH models (only found a file w/code for it). I did find the service manual covering 92 thru 98 though, which I guess I already need...

For some reason I am trying to start the ski but it only cranks (I turned it on 3 times in 3 different days while still at the previous owner's for like 5-10 seconds max each and it seemed ok, turning on pretty fast each time). I am doing my homework here and see almost of all you guys have posted tremendous threads addressing this issue over and over. 1st thing I did was testing the battery at the shop, it was up for replacement so I got a new one together w/a couple of brand new sparks just for laughs, but still nothing. I guess I will need to test the NEW one anyway although it sounds strong when I press the button.

2nd thing I did was removing the sparks & tried cranking to see if the spark is ok and guess what, NO spark in either plug! Not sure how after 4-5 days sitting on the trailer now it has this issue when I turned it on last Friday and it was turning on just fine, only thing I did meanwhile was towing it to my place...

My question is, can you provide me w/list of basic must-do steps/things to check before I go crazy on this thing (I will be checking the manual meanwhile, but maybe some practical advice based on experience of most common issues and order of "concerns" to be addressed)? I grew up among 2-stroke motorcycle engines but this is my first time on these machines - I do miss the kick start so far I'll tell you that.

3rd thing I did was opening the electrical box to take a pic of the CDI's front w/#:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190427_124014.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	447722  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    On the Polaris red two cylinder engines* BOTH spark plugs must be connected to the wires AND the metal shells on both spark plugs must be in contact with the metal of the engine. Touching a bare cylinder head bolt, for example, if the spark plug is not screwed into the head.

If either spark plug is missing or shell is not touching the engine you will not have spark.

* For updated ignition kits (on 1996-1998 engines) and two cylinder engines sold after 1999

I was being concerned for no reason, thanks for clarifying this. Spark's fine, I removed the carburetors' red cap, released the choke, pressed the ignition and it started in a fraction of a second - must have drowned the pistons under too much gas while it was cold and had no sufficient air to fire. I noticed there's a plastic screw on that cap, looks like I can use it in the future if it gives me starting issues like this again. Can't wait to ride this sea lion soon, will do the must-do checks in the page you linked me to make sure all is in order.

Thread Information