+1

Clutch gave out 09 FZR.....

So after fixing transom, wear ring, prop... then finding the Intermediate housing failed and was leaking solid streams of water.. moving motor and fixing that.

I rode it 2 hours or so, and today I only hit 9.4 lbs of boost on my way to the meet up spot... little odd. Was full of fuel and ice. Ok...
    then had some big rolllers from a barge so was fitting some hook up. Then once in a smaller area smooth water went to race a buddy’s new seadoo 300. (Host first day out with it) and clutch gave up the ghost.. rode 12 miles home at 5k, could get it to 6 but that’s it... so slow cruised home pulled intake and supercharger wheel spins both ways freely...

so there are a lot of threads on this and most are dated. So going to ask here.

whats the right replacement? I know certain years the teeth sheer off when they. Go(I would rather not replace with that one?) looks like it’s a 59 tooth from my reading...

so if some one can break it down what year changes did what and what options are so I can get part in order that would be great. As it’s 2019 and most threads are 2012 or older..

+1
    These are the needed parts with the upgrade clutch/drive gear for your older ski. The tool is just optional. You can get by without using the tool by removing the venturi nozzle, pump cone and then holding the engine from turning using the nut in the back of the pump. A how to on changing your clutch can be found by http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ghlight=clutch

2013+ Yamaha Clutch Kit with Drive Gear Assembly

This kit includes the necessary drive gear to update all 2012 and older skis to the new style clutch system. Kit includes: Yamaha Part #...
    99999-04107-00 $705.00 $647.75
    8% discount

OEM Yamaha Front Cover Gasket
    6S5-13563-00-00 $8.50

RIVA SHO/SVHO Supercharger Clutch Drive Holding Tool

The RIVA SHO/SVHO Supercharger Clutch holding tools makes changing out your supercharger clutch fast & easy. This tool allows the lower supercharger...
    RY17040-SCT $79.95

+1
    Thanks Jerry.

All parts but the tool are ordered. Hopefully the SVHO clutch can handle the small wheel I am running (C1) 10-11 lbs of boost.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    Thanks Jerry.

All parts but the tool are ordered. Hopefully the SVHO clutch can handle the small wheel I am running (C1) 10-11 lbs of boost.
    It will handle it MUCH better than your old style 09 clutch I assure you

+1
    Well it’s back together. One thing the service manual states the crush washers on the oil feed line are non reusable (4 total). Was not aware until I was assembling so I rescued them they looked ok. Hopefully they seal.

Getting the old gasket off sucked. The used a red scratch pad/air tool and that made it faster. Replaced bottom six bolts with stainless steal...can’t believe yamaha on that. I almost had to pull the motor as one bolt bottom under the pump was stripped/rusted no grip... after 5 different ease outs upside down I got it.

so swapped all parts, and changed filter and added new oil. Fired up with the bleed screw out 3-5 seconds I had oil. Shut it down, installed screw and cleaned up..

water test tomorrow. Any break in or anything special? Also I sucked out my fresh oil, and did this job, and changed filter. So I need to do another oil change after a few hours of riding? Does a clutch failing mean metal in oil or just if the teeth break and crap?

+1
    I would consider another oil change shortly, if you take the clutch apart you will see the sprag and roller bearings have a lot of wear on them and that worn off metal may all be in the filter but some of it is pretty small dust like and who knows what else came off it.

8. +1 by:

+1
    out of curiosity, to test the clutch if its bad or not you check if it spins both ways. If it spins both ways it means that the one way bearings is faulty. Then why not replacing just the one way bearings at a fraction of the cost?
    Last edited by dijsil; 04-30-2019 at 04:37 AM.

+1
    From what I have been told the earley gears are also the ones that can sometimes sheer teeth off.. so that would suck.. so this prevents that..

also told the inner race is not new and the new sprag will not last as long as the first...

also the earley set up is not as strong as the SVHO clutch..

so 200 bucks and 3 negatives, or 550 and preventive upgrades..

+1
    Ok clutch is working. All seems fine. Sounds a little different then the ole one, tighter larger gears meshing...

first time getting on plane plane felt a little off power but after that was normal. Max boost all day was 10.2 normally 10.0 which is ok. But before 10.4 was normal.

so my question is does the new gear ratios from the new SVHO clutch and idler vs the sho set up slightly change the over all spinning ratio? Which is making it a little less boost?

+1
    I have done 2 clutchers so far. Both sounded different for the last 12-14 hours of there life.

Thread Information