+1

Interesting hiccup on the lake?

Hello all,

My 2013 FX SHO sat up all winter, so this past week I had a summer service done on it to get it ready for the water. Oil change, new plugs etc. Sunday I put her in the water, cranked up fine, idled fine but as we headed out into open water I noticed she accelerated very slowly and at full throttle we were doing 44mph.. Ran like this for about 15-20 seconds and then all the sudden it just took off like being shot out of a cannon. Ran perfect for the rest of the day.. What would cause this? A bit of bad gas? Thanks for any input. First time I've had a ski do that.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewkylelewis View Post
    ... 2013 FX SHO sat up all winter, so this past week I had a summer service done on it to get it ready for the water. Oil change, new plugs etc.

Sunday I put her in the water, cranked up fine, idled fine but as we headed out into open water I noticed she accelerated very slowly and at full throttle we were doing 44mph.. Ran like this for about 15-20 seconds and then all the sudden it just took off like being shot out of a cannon. Ran perfect for the rest of the day...

.... First time I've had a ski do that.
    Does the ECU have an aftermarket tune?

I have had my 2017 GP1800 do something similar a couple of times. After launching, ride away from dock at modest speed. The throttle ‘works’ and the engine responds but when fully squeezed I realize it is only providing partial engine power. Not running rough, no odd sounds.

Release and let it idle for a few seconds and then the throttle response becomes normal. And stays that way the rest of the day.

Fresh fuel, ridden just a day or three previously with no issues.

Hello all,

My 2013 FX SHO sat up all winter, so this past week I had a summer service done on it to get it ready for the water. Oil change, new plugs etc. Sunday I put her in the water, cranked up fine, idled fine but as we headed out into open water I noticed she accelerated very slowly and at full throttle we were doing 44mph.. Ran like this for about 15-20 seconds and then all the sudden it just took off like being shot out of a cannon. Ran perfect for the rest of the day.. What would cause this? A bit of bad gas? Thanks for any input. First time I've had a ski do that.
    Hi

Could be a bunch of things but I will stick to the fact that it had not been running over the winter period so here is a short list of a few items.

1. Bad fuel - when fuel sits for a period of time it can get condensation on the top of the fuel, as water is heavier it sinks to the bottom where the pickup is. Another is E10 or any other fuel mixed with alcohol, when it sits around for any period it starts to separate - this is the most common cause of engine failure while on the water here in Aust. Just don't use it. Old fuel can be a problem also, be sure to top the tank prior to going out on the water. We have a problem here of cheap fuel outlets putting dodgy stuff in the fuel, I only use well known petrol stations and stay well away from the Seven Eleven type operators, they don' even pay their employees the min award payments over here!
    2. Blocked injectors - again, when not in use the fuel evaporates and can leave waxy deposits in carbs\injectors etc. Happen most often to lawn mowers after long time of no use.
    3. If it happens again, check for any moisture in the spark plug holes. Dry out any moisture around plugs and on leads and re-seat everything - Happened to me after I washed the ski down a couple of times. I however got a miss while under load (WOT) and was fine at idle so reverse of your symptoms.

Anyway it sounds like you have blown whatever "cobwebs" away and riding our ski is the best thing for them!

Season almost over here in Sydney, maybe just a few more weeks of decent weather.

Cheers

Dave

+1
    My uncle changed the tune on his ski ( Maptuner-X ) to test then went back to his original tune and his ski did exactly what yours did. must be an electrical ECU brain fart where the electron don't line up.

+1
    Might want to check that the plugs connectors are seated all the way, and check the injector plugs as well. My son when out for first ride and had a similar issues, found the #4 cyl coil connector not all the way seated after a winter plug change

+1
    Thanks for all the replies guys, the ski is completely stock. I called my local Yamaha shop and the tech said he thought either bad fuel or possibly a bit of debris since I was so close to the ramp when it happened. He said they have had multiple skis come in the seem low on power but have something caught in the grate. Anywho like I said it ran amazing after that so I'm not too worried about it. I was just curious

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... the ski is completely stock. I called my local Yamaha shop and the tech said he thought either bad fuel or possibly a bit of debris ...

... He said they have had multiple skis come in they seem low on power but have something caught in the grate. ...
    The most important information on the dash is not the speedometer. It is the tachometer.

If the engine is down on actual power the RPM will struggle to rise and the speed will not be fast.

If something is stuck in the intake grate (or in the impeller) the RPM can rise normally with throttle squeeze or even zing rapidly right towards the engine redline, but the water thrust is diminished and the speed is not fast.

When diagnosing possible engine power concerns, look to the tachometer. RPM lower or higher than it should be for a given amount of throttle is often a very useful clue to understanding what is wrong.

+1
    supercharger clutch was not locking up had my ski do the same thing from sitting all winter once the clutch locked and un locked a few times worked great the rest of the year.

Thread Information