Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamivxs View Post
    So in that regard, are you saying that one is not necessarily better than the other in most instances for recreational riders? The tunes are just mapped differently?
    Well it depends what you consider recreational, where im at a beach ski can go from as slow as stock to all the way up to 110+ mph on E85. I don't even know what ski you have cause that solas you listed i am not familiar with. What ski is it and what are your goals?

Riva Vs. Deans Reflash Need advice!

I have a 2015 vxs/vxr. Here are my goals: I would like to hit 68 consistently maybe 70 on a good day. I want better throttle response and for it to feel like it has gained some power as promised by Riva for their stage 1 kit for the vxr. And Of course I want no cavitation when I full throttle it from a stop. Iím not trying to be the next fastest thing on the water. I just want my ski to stay reliable and have some better response/acceleration and a little more top speed. But I keep hearing people talking about deans over Riva and I have read a few times that the riva stage 1 setup did not improve their ski at all. That could just be a fluke but I donít know. So thatís the small dilemma Iíve had.

+1
    Just dropping in to say my experience with the map tuner x and rivas tunes have been great. I have had plenty of support for Jesus from Riva. Even got an altered tune to help with warm start issue that even stock skis were experiencing. Running 8800 stage 2 agr tune. Loving the ability to flash the ski myself

Im sure both options are great

Lake Lion
    +1
    Just built a customers 2019 VXR. Using our High Velocity intake, removed ribbon, Jims plate, Riva rear exhaust on a gutted waterbox and the same prop you have, he hit 69.9 mph GPS on Deans 8300rpm tune. I have yet to test the running RPM. I am hoping the ski is hitting the limiter. It was my mistake choosing 8300, I usually ask for 8700 but will raise it after the 10 hour mark.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbutta View Post
    Just built a customers 2019 VXR. Using our High Velocity intake, removed ribbon, Jims plate, Riva rear exhaust on a gutted waterbox and the same prop you have, he hit 69.9 mph GPS on Deans 8300rpm tune. I have yet to test the running RPM. I am hoping the ski is hitting the limiter. It was my mistake choosing 8300, I usually ask for 8700 but will raise it after the 10 hour mark.
    The n/a point of diminishing returns on those higher rpms. HP starts decreasing. Found on mine past 8250-8300 I never reached higher then 72-73. Hitting constant 72 at 8k is the best I get.

7. +1 by:

Yeah on a VX i wouldn't bother splitting hairs, whichever flash is available run it. Im sure the Riva flash will get you what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by d00m View Post
    Yeah on a VX i wouldn't bother splitting hairs, whichever flash is available run it. Im sure the Riva flash will get you what you want.
    I hate to say it. But I think you gave me all the info I need.

10. +1 by:

+1
    If your going for speed why not just get a GP or a FX SVHO to start with? The VXR is N/A not much to tuning them besides timing and fuel

12. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you casting aspersions towards Jesus and the Riva/MaptunerX engine tuning group?

I use the MaptunerX product and have not noticed anything that would suggest inexperience or inappropriate configuration of the tunes. Nor have I heard of such things from other, mostly recreational riders.

If you are specifically recommending Deanís tunes for actual racing, that may be a different perspective.

Recreational riders looking for more (speed, power) may also have other (perhaps unsaid) requirements. Sensitivity to gasoline octane in one tune philosophy vs another comes to mind. An engine tune that is capable of running right on the edge for absolute maximum power might be unsuitable for recreational riding where gasoline octane or fuel quality may sometimes vary.

I would like to understand how the Deanís tunes actually differ from Riva. When both tunes are selected for the same purpose, in particular fast recreational riding.
    Well put K447 , I would also like to know the difference. I'm sure they are both excellent, but when it comes to tunes and racing I trust RIVA. Just my personal opinion.

14. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead74 View Post
    Well put K447 , I would also like to know the difference. I'm sure they are both excellent, but when it comes to tunes and racing I trust RIVA. Just my personal opinion.
    well i can tell you there is a lot of difference a lot of “tuners” no I’m not talking about any individual just talking generally simply use the fuel and timing tables to make tunes they need power they add timing and fuel, did you see the results from the markhaun the conditions we very cold a LOT of boats with certain tunes did not finish Mac and Troy won with a reflash that tune had a lot of parameters built in for safety you want to know why Dean ask so many questions about your flash like where you ride how you ride and what you want ? Because he can change and does change many things if you provide all the details needed about you situation you have to remember if you download a map from a site say a stage 2 that a person in Florida can download and a person that rides at 3000 ft elevation there will be a big difference in performance so if you are downloading a generic map that was tested in one environment i hope your environment is similar, map tuner is a good product for sure and Jesus will make custom maps, I run deans flash because he makes mine for the way I ride and where and for those who say his flashes have a lot of timing I can tell you he simply does not even when he tunes my drag skis timing is the last area he uses for power choices are good and hopefully we will continue to have these choices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information