Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Riva Vs. Deans Reflash Need advice!

Have the thru hull exhaust, ride plate, intake, and 11/15 solas impeller on ski. I have not yet uploaded the Riva tune to the ecu. I am actually now thinking about doing a deans reflash instead. Is there much of a difference between the two? And would his tune work with my current mods and impeller pitch? Thank you all!
    Last edited by Yamivxs; 04-19-2019 at 10:49 PM.

+1

3. +1 by:

+1
    Dean's team his work and reliability speaks for itself

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by gtile04 View Post
    Dean's team his work and reliability speaks for itself
    Besides reliability what makes the tune different or better than the Riva? I trust your overall judgement but Iím really trying to educate myself here. Thanks

Dean's team hands down. Its hard to beat someone who has been working with and racing Yamaha for the amount of time he has. I have his "starter pack" on my GP and its great. He will also talk to you and point you in the right direction if you are unsure about some things

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamivxs View Post
    Besides reliability what makes the tune different or better than the Riva? ...
    I think many other people would also like to understand the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I think many other people would also like to understand the differences.
    Differences i would assume is more of an aggressive map as far as timing from a Deans flash due to the amount of R&D put into his flash's. The amount of tuning he has done with the Yamaha platform has given him the knowledge to know the limitations of the platform. When you have a tuner who's less familiarized or maybe doesn't have as much time with a platform under his belt they will always be more conservative on timing etc.. cause of that limitation not being reached yet. This goes for all stuff cars, motorcycles, boats etc... when your looking for a tuner you usually go for the guy with the most records under his belt with said platform or at the very least specializes ONLY in your platform.

10. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by d00m View Post
    Differences i would assume is more of an aggressive map as far as timing from a Deans flash due to the amount of R&D put into his flash's. The amount of tuning he has done with the Yamaha platform has given him the knowledge to know the limitations of the platform.

When you have a tuner who's less familiarized or maybe doesn't have as much time with a platform under his belt they will always be more conservative on timing etc.. cause of that limitation not being reached yet.

... when your looking for a tuner you usually go for the guy with the most records under his belt with said platform or at the very least specializes ONLY in your platform.
    Are you casting aspersions towards Jesus and the Riva/MaptunerX engine tuning group?

I use the MaptunerX product and have not noticed anything that would suggest inexperience or inappropriate configuration of the tunes. Nor have I heard of such things from other, mostly recreational riders.

If you are specifically recommending Deanís tunes for actual racing, that may be a different perspective.

Recreational riders looking for more (speed, power) may also have other (perhaps unsaid) requirements. Sensitivity to gasoline octane in one tune philosophy vs another comes to mind. An engine tune that is capable of running right on the edge for absolute maximum power might be unsuitable for recreational riding where gasoline octane or fuel quality may sometimes vary.

I would like to understand how the Deanís tunes actually differ from Riva. When both tunes are selected for the same purpose, in particular fast recreational riding.

Are you casting aspersions towards Jesus and the Riva/MaptunerX engine tuning group?

I use the MaptunerX product and have not noticed anything that would suggest inexperience or inappropriate configuration of the tunes. Nor have I heard of such things from other, mostly recreational riders.

Nope. You're reading way too far into what i said, ive used plenty of jesus's flash's on seadoo stuff its good stuff and better IMO then the CRT flashes (junk). My statement was made in the general sense. But since you have his flash how many jesus flashed ski's have competed at the hydrodrags? Would really love to know!

If you are specifically recommending Dean’s tunes for actual racing, that may be a different perspective.
    Why else would someone flash their ski if not for performance gain and possibly a race every now and then?

Recreational riders looking for more (speed, power) may also have other (perhaps unsaid) requirements. Sensitivity to gasoline octane in one tune philosophy vs another comes to mind. An engine tune that is capable of running right on the edge for absolute maximum power might be unsuitable for recreational riding where gasoline octane or fuel quality may sometimes vary.
    This is something you can specify when reaching out for a deans flash, when i purchased my flash it was stated minimum 93 required as do many of the riva files. Just how you would reach out to jesus for a revision you can with dean....

I would like to understand how the Dean’s tunes actually differ from Riva. When both tunes are selected for the same purpose, in particular fast recreational riding.
    Tuning is not voodoo magic. These are flashes, not standalone ECU's where you can compare a bunch different software attributes of each ECU that allows for different inputs or outputs. The only thing that will "differ" on a flashed OEM ecu is a timing curve and a fuel VE table which is specific to each tuner and their knowledge. Now given that both are available simply look at the results people are having, records, etc.. and base your choice off that. The access you want is something that most tuners will not allow be seen for the fact that tunes get copied.

Quote Originally Posted by d00m View Post
    Nope. You're reading way too far into what i said, ive used plenty of jesus's flash's on seadoo stuff its good stuff and better IMO then the CRT flashes (junk). My statement was made in the general sense. But since you have his flash how many jesus flashed ski's have competed at the hydrodrags? Would really love to know!

Why else would someone flash their ski if not for performance gain and possibly a race every now and then?

This is something you can specify when reaching out for a deans flash, when i purchased my flash it was stated minimum 93 required as do many of the riva files. Just how you would reach out to jesus for a revision you can with dean....

Tuning is not voodoo magic. These are flashes, not standalone ECU's where you can compare a bunch different software attributes of each ECU that allows for different inputs or outputs. The only thing that will "differ" on a flashed OEM ecu is a timing curve and a fuel VE table which is specific to each tuner and their knowledge. Now given that both are available simply look at the results people are having, records, etc.. and base your choice off that. The access you want is something that most tuners will not allow be seen for the fact that tunes get copied.
    So in that regard, are you saying that one is not necessarily better than the other in most instances for recreational riders? The tunes are just mapped differently?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information