Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SHO issues

+1

SHO issues

So weird issue with my fx sho

running flat out pinned across glass water for 10 minutes, warning flashed up, I thought overheat but it was a oil warning, ski went into limp mode, let her limp for a while too cool, checked inside hull no oil visible, switched off and back on warning stopped. Took ski slowly to beach, checked oil and it was above min on stick (hard to tell with fresh oil..... exactly where it was). Oil was super clean, after the beach ski was revving but not going felt like cavitation, it might be coincidence but any issues that can cause oil faults (dash came up 01) and performance issues might have sucked something up while in limp mode which cleared when I recovered?

ski seems to be making boost on land and rpm are hitting 7k+ on water prop looks clean some discolouration but no major dings visible nothing on drive shaft, nothing in pump visible....

How old is your ski?? I was talking with a tech yesterday and he mentioned that in the Yamahas that run in hard water ( like we have in the lakes in Texas) the cooling water will, over time as it dries, leave deposits of calcium in the cooling passages and that over time these will build up on themselves and slowly close off the cooling waterflow in the internals. He said that people will take their skis out and run them for 30 min and they will oveheat and then after cool down be Ok till they are run hard again.

Sounds plausible to me as I used to work in a power plant and the hard water over time would completely close off the heat exchanger tubes from calcium buildup.

What do you think???

+1
    I’m sure my motor does have some clogging of the cooling passsges as it’s 10 years old and done 200 hours in mostly salt water, the warning which I expected to be over heat when alarm went off was oil pressure not overheat, had to replace 2 temp sensors due to failures in the last 2 years so I guess it’s not unexpected that the pressure sensor may have also failed annoying that unlike the one I relaxed recently in a car that was under $10 the Yamaha one is like $60

we run in typically cooler air and water temp which may limit overheat water we run in is typically below 14C (57F) (well at the moment it is under 10C 50F) and peak at 17C (63F)

+1
    Iím having a similar issue with my fzr. 22hrs on engine. On the hose and on trailer in water ski is fine. When actually moving oil alarm goes off. Fresh oil and filter. (Yamaha filter and Yamalube). Havenít really traced it down yet. Seems to only goes off when actually moving on water.

+1
    I’m hoping it’s either a dodgy filter (simple fix) it’s a genuine Yamaha but old stock with old part number, or dodgy sensor, have ordered a cheap oil pressure gauge to check oil pressure.

Hoping pressure is good and it needs a sensor as a new oil pump isn’t cheap...... the performance issue could be unrelated (hope it is) but don’t want to damage the motor by running it with low oil pressure

some useful info here
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=248115

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    Iím hoping itís either a dodgy filter (simple fix) itís a genuine Yamaha but old stock with old part number, or dodgy sensor, have ordered a cheap oil pressure gauge to check oil pressure.

Hoping pressure is good and it needs a sensor as a new oil pump isnít cheap...... the performance issue could be unrelated (hope it is) but donít want to damage the motor by running it with low oil pressure
    Imma do the same. I heard the the oil pressure regulator in the pump gets stuck sometimes. I need to connect a gauge on as well tomorrow and verify the pressure myself on mine.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gprdanny View Post
    Imma do the same. I heard the the oil pressure regulator in the pump gets stuck sometimes. I need to connect a gauge on as well tomorrow and verify the pressure myself on mine.
    What year that’s very low hours for an sho, can regulator be replaced separate to the pump?

+1
    What year thatís very low hours for an sho, can regulator be replaced separate to the pump?
    2012 and Iím not sure. I never took about a oil pump before. My buddy is going to guide me through the process. I have a spare oil sensor alto try first. Itís just weird it only goes off when Iím actually moving in the water and not on trailer or on hose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gprdanny View Post
    2012 and I’m not sure. I never took about a oil pump before. My buddy is going to guide me through the process. I have a spare oil sensor alto try first. It’s just weird it only goes off when I’m actually moving in the water and not on trailer or on hose.

Ive only had it happen once, weird you only get it when moving does it come on straight away or take a while? Could it be a broken wire for sensor? I think the sensor is a single wire unit so grounds when the low pressure?

+1
    Ive only had it happen once, weird you only get it when moving does it come on straight away or take a while? Could it be a broken wire for sensor? I think the sensor is a single wire unit so grounds when the low pressure?
    As soon as I hit the throttle more then 10% riding. When I put it on the trailer and tried to get it to do it wouldnít. Took it back out into open water and alarm goes off for oil. Kinda stumbled on this one. I need to get a live view of oil pressure to be sure.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information