2016 yahama vx cruiser ho

It started to sound a little louder and a vibration when I was flushing it out. My gf and daughter ride this ski they told me it sounded louder. I got the 5 year warranty with the ski. They are telling me it needs an impeller housing @ 750.00 done some mechanicking when i was younger and have a grip on how things work. you tube showed me how to replace one on my svho but not the vx. I'm assuming it is fairley close. Does this sound normal to have go out in 2 1/2 years
    The ski sees some salt water but is washed or come back to clean fresh water on the ride.
    I'm assuming there ar eafter market fixes and parts to save some monet unless it is not adivsed to and only use yahama parts idk please help I dont wantr to spend 750 on a 2and a half year old ski.
    What would happen if we continue to ride it the way it is.
    2016 vx cruiser 1.0 HO
    thanks for any advise

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

What exactly is wrong with the original part(s).

Lake Lion
    +1
    What city are you in?

The dealer said there was rust at 4 o'clock on the impeller housing
    Ft Myers Fl
    Can I just replave the housing or do I have to replace the impeller also gf and daughter ride it not really preformance issuses, can i get in there and sand it down?
    What will happen if we continue to ride it ?

+1
    Replacing the impeller housing on a VX would be very close to identical from a SVHO. The main difference is the SVHO has trim and just one less thing to disconnect.

If the dealer advised "rust at 4 o'clock, that is probably from the pump liner swelling. The factory pump housing is aluminum. The factory pump liner in the housing is thin stainless. If ridden in salt water, the salt eventually gets in between the liner and housing. This will causes the aluminum to corrode the aluminum pump and the liner to be pushed out to the impeller. Usually, you'll see it as small roundish bumps that get discolored by the friction with the liner contacting the impeller. You could sand it down but it will continue to corrode, be pushed towards the impeller, and needed sanding again. Once the corrosion starts, is seems to get worse faster.

Should it be changed. The correct answer is yes. The housing will continue to corrode and push the liner into the impeller. The impeller will keep getting worn. Finally, you'll need a housing and impeller. You can replace it with another factory housing, there are aluminum housings with a plastic liner, or Riva makes an all stainless housing. If in salt, I'd go all stainless. Check out the Greenhulk site and compare prices. You can probably do this yourself in a couple hours for about half that dealers price and if you have questions, the members here can advise.

Lake Lion
    +1
    Prop and liner. Less than 400 in parts.

Thread Information