+1

2007 Kawasaki STX-12F Meter Stays On

2007 Kawasaki STX-12F meter stays on, even when you turn the orange switch to the Off position.

With the orange switch in the On position, everything seems to work as it should.

When you turn the orange key to the Off position, the meter stays on. If the lanyard is out and you press the Start button, nothing happens. If the lanyard is in and you press the Start button, the meter resets. If the lanyard is in and you press and hold the Start button for a few seconds, the meter shuts off.

Tried a different orange switch and a different Start switch, with the same results.
    Last edited by grumpy_steven; 04-19-2019 at 12:03 PM.

+1
    Different ECU, different meter... same results.

It does shut off after a few minutes. But when you turn the switch to the On position, the meter doesn't light up again until you start the motor. This is what usually happens when you leave the orange switch On. Turning it Off seems to be disabling the starter circuit, but not the meter circuit.

I just checked my 2008 15F. The meter shuts off as soon as you turn the orange switch to the Off postion and comes back on as soon as you turn the orange switch to the On position. This is how every other Kawi ski I've owned functioned.
    Last edited by grumpy_steven; 04-19-2019 at 11:20 AM.

+1
    Problem solved. Plugged in a different main harness and it works as it should. There must be a problem with the harness.

Should I be looking for a short or a broken wire? Before I swapped the harness, I wiggled the harness where it connects to the orange switch. A few times it caused the display to come on, even with the switch in the Off position. I'm thinking that wiggling the wire completed the circuit.

I would look for two wires that have maybe chafed and have insulation rubbed through that are making connection. Follow that red with white tracer wire. Did you swap joint connector P? the one that a bunch of red and red/white wires go into? Its possible if you swapped that, it could be shorted between the red wires (battery) and red/white wires internally (ignition on)

+1
    I pulled that joint connector on the bad harness and it looks OK. I tried pulling it from the good harness to swap, but it's impossible to get it out.

But with the harness pulled out and connected to my spare parts, I played with the wires and the problem seems to be near that joint connector. If I wiggle the wires, I can sometimes get the meter to turn off. I'll pull the tape and harness wrap to see if I can spot something.

I have 2 spare harnesses, so I'll just swap the whole harness to fix the ski. I'd just like to figure out the exact problem in case I come across it again.

+1
    BTW - ski only has 22 hours... not enough use to chafe thru wire insulation.

+1
    Fixed. All it took was a paper towel. There was a little bit of water in the junction box with all of the red wires. It looks like the water was completing the circuit to turn on the meter. When I wiggled the wires, the water was moving around and causing the display to re-set.

Thread Information