+1

Reverse Adjustment

I have two new 19 GP1800R's and I have noticed one has plenty of power in reverse. The second one just doesn't have the same power in reverse. I'm wondering if there is any adjustments I can make to the reverse system that will affect this?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Carzan; 04-15-2019 at 10:41 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does the machine with weak RiDE reverse also tend to creep forward when idling in RiDE neutral?

+1
    no it doesnt

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carzan View Post
    no it doesnt
    Well, you can remove the reverse linkage rod and then extend each end (equally) by a few turns. Loosen the locknut, extend rod, retighten locknut. Make sure you keep enough rod end threads engaged into the fitting. Just do a couple of turns, then reinstall and test.

Ensure that the ball openings on the rod ends stay aligned with the ball studs for reinstallation.

Before you do the above, inspect and compare the two machines for differences in the nozzles and reverse bucket heights in reverse mode. Make sure the problem is not something incorrect with the basic hardware or factory assembly.

Also check that the reverse lever arm on the RiDE motor is tight and fully seated.

+1
    Thanks for the info. However this may a bit above my head. I don't even know where to find the linkage rod or the RiDE motor. The bad part is by the way its acting it seems like its just not engaged properly so I suspect the reverse lever arm may not be fully seated on the ride motor. It feels like something that was connected by old school cable but the cable is flexing and not fully engaging. May have to just drag them into the dealer. Its time for an oil change anyway and I think Im going to let the dealer do that while I'm in warranty so I have strong records if I have a warranty issue. I hear Yamaha isn't keen on paying warranty claims.

+1
    The reverse rod is connected to the black bucket linkage on the left side and goes to the RiDE shaft and lever on the left side of the tunnel. On my GP new the reverse rod was bent from not being adjusted correctly at the factory and bottoming out when in reverse. I would try the dealer if they are not to far away. I just straightened the rod and adjusted the length so it could go full travel without bottoming out.

+1
    Look in the owners manual. It mentions how to disconnect the bucket rod if the bucket became stuck in the down position. The manual describes where the rod is and how to disconnect the end from the ball.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3008768

+1
    Got it all taken care of!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carzan View Post
    Got it all taken care of!
    Post back after you water test the adjusted reverse.

+1
    I intentionally didn't say what I did to "get it all taken care of" because Im a little embarrassed about it. Upon inspection of the underside I found an Oystershell stuck in the grate. Whats weird about it is the machine was performing what felt to be normal in forward. It would practically throw you off the back if you nailed it and top end was normal. At least it felt that way.

But that dang shell was stuck in there at an odd angle. So anyway I removed it and today we took the GP's out on the river. And the reverse works exactly the same as the other one. Revs to 3000 rpm and feels perfectly normal. Sooooooooo, Thanks again for the help but I got to thinking that was the machine my son was on and he did get into some shallow water in one of the canals we toured looking at homes and boats on lifts. As we got to the end of one of the canals it got really shallow and he was in it pretty bad. So I started looking for anything that episode could've affected. That's when I found the oyster shell.

Thread Information