+1

Throttle Cable Replacement

I was wondering how to lube my throttle cable without damaging it. I tried removing my original cable from the finger perch and kinked it a little right where the little barrel mounts into the receptacle. I still couldn't get it out of the perch, so I decided to quit messing with it because I was riding the next day. I tried to adjust for a little slack per the manual but couldn't get any. Now when I turn my bars to the left it idles up a little and I seem to have run out of adjustment with the 2 nuts at the throttle body. I have a new oem cable on the way at about $90. Any tips on how to remove the cable from the perch?

+1
    I think that model has the 'smart' steering that increases the throttle when you turn the bars while idling. It can be disabled. I haven't replaced the cable on one of those, but can't imagine it being any more difficult than the other models.

+1
    It does have the smart steering. I forgot about that.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-is-the-man View Post
    I was wondering how to lube my throttle cable without damaging it. I tried removing my original cable from the finger perch and kinked it a little right where the little barrel mounts into the receptacle. I still couldn't get it out of the perch, so I decided to quit messing with it because I was riding the next day. I tried to adjust for a little slack per the manual but couldn't get any. Now when I turn my bars to the left it idles up a little and I seem to have run out of adjustment with the 2 nuts at the throttle body. I have a new oem cable on the way at about $90. Any tips on how to remove the cable from the perch?
    if the ski isnot moving the Smart steering wont / shouldnt activate.

by the sounds of it , the problem is that the cable routing has tension at LH lock.... IE pulling the throttle on slightly,

ensure the cable from the perch and down threw the upper hull has slight amount of slack at LH/RH lock
    if not pull a small amount of cable up threw the upper grommet .....( typical issue ) Assumong all else is good... May need to lube the cable outter to slide it

Smart steering is a easy 1 plug disconnet from under the steering column its a 3 wire plug on a long lead from the sensor mounted on the alloy steering base.

+1
    [QUOTE=sirbreaksalot;3010636]if the ski isnot moving the Smart steering wont / shouldnt activate.

by the sounds of it , the problem is that the cable routing has tension at LH lock.... IE pulling the throttle on slightly,

It was the routing. I took some tension off the cable coming from the bars. It's funny what a tight cable can do.

Thread Information