Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Second or upgraded battery for longer speaker use on RXT-X?

Has anyone installed a secondary battery or upgraded the original battery to use the speakers for longer duration's when the engine is off?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by miami salt life View Post
    Has anyone installed a secondary battery or upgraded the original battery to use the speakers for longer duration's when the engine is off?
    save your self the hassle and just grab 1 of these and keep on board.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/MiniMax-299...5.c10#viTabs_0

+1
    Brp has a 2nd battery kit , I have it installed just haven’t tested it for duration .

+1
    Assuming you will be keeping this somewhere you can charge it here are your two (easiest) options.

1. Buy a higher amp hour AGM battery and gain more play time. If you sit with it off too long and play music it will die.... charge when you get home (see reason why below).

2. Buy 2 high amp hour AGM batteries and have the second one on a battery selector switch. If the first battery dies do not continue to play your music while parked just use it to get home, NOT for more play time. Playing on the spare battery would increase your risk of time slipping by and getting stuck on the water. In this setup I’d highly recommend charging when you get it home with a smart charger. The reason for this is actually to top them both off because if you deplete both of these the charging system on the pwc will likely not top them off so they will actually not be full at the end of the day and need to be toped off.

I have installed several hundred complex battery systems on various watercraft with extremely demanding use from 2 battery setups to 25.

+1
    To each their own... I have a dual setup with a (off, 1, 2, both) switch. Couple of thoughts regarding your needs:
    Mine was done for redundant starting - incase I loose one of my batteries.... however, if you aim to power an audio system for hours, you might consider your 2nd battery to be the "deep cycle" type. One starting batt and one accessories batt is a typical fishing or cabin cruiser boat setup. The deep-cycle will also last way way longer with the slow amp draw too. Then put the deep cycle batt on charge when you get back home. I'd visit RV sites to see if a small deep cycle could be installed somewhere in the ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    To each their own... I have a dual setup with a (off, 1, 2, both) switch. Couple of thoughts regarding your needs:
    Mine was done for redundant starting - incase I loose one of my batteries.... however, if you aim to power an audio system for hours, you might consider your 2nd battery to be the "deep cycle" type. One starting batt and one accessories batt is a typical fishing or cabin cruiser boat setup. The deep-cycle will also last way way longer with the slow amp draw too. Then put the deep cycle batt on charge when you get back home. I'd visit RV sites to see if a small deep cycle could be installed somewhere in the ski.
    uh... thats literally what I just said with a bit of misinformation. Please defer to what I said Miami Salt Life. Also if you aren't charging it up at home additionally to the dual setup I proposed you would want an ACR (automatic charging relay.

My advice buy these——-(I’m going to do this same setup with an upgraded power hungry stereo)

2 motobatt 21ah battery
    Sea Doo additional battery kit
    Noco smart charger for at home
    Blue Seas battery selector switch. (off 1 and 2)

How to use it?

charge at home
    keep on battery 1 unless it dies in which case you switch over to your spare only to keep riding and not to keep bumping the tunes with it off.

I may just buy a portable bluetooth speaker for now just to use when parked for long periods and later down the road i will look into installing another battery and switches. Thanks for the suggestions!

+1
    Yeah, not sure about the so-called "misinformation" jab there Mr Confrontational. And we are not saying the same thing.
    If we are speaking lead-acid chemistries, "deep cycle" -vs- "starting" batteries, the lead plates are physically constructed differently to be advantageous/tolerant to EITHER quick release of energy -vs- long & slow discharge (more importantly DOD). Sure, you can use a "starting" battery (aka the Motobatt you quoted above) to run speakers, but the key to my post was to highlight that high AH is not really the sole factor, but rather deep cycles will have nearly 3 times the RC of typical starting batts, and THAT is a highly desired characteristic in running accessories for long durations without risk of damaging the battery itself in doing so.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Yeah, not sure about the so-called "misinformation" jab there Mr Confrontational. And we are not saying the same thing.
    If we are speaking lead-acid chemistries, "deep cycle" -vs- "starting" batteries, the lead plates are physically constructed differently to be advantageous/tolerant to EITHER quick release of energy -vs- long & slow discharge (more importantly DOD). Sure, you can use a "starting" battery (aka the Motobatt you quoted above) to run speakers, but the key to my post was to highlight that high AH is not really the sole factor, but rather deep cycles will have nearly 3 times the RC of typical starting batts, and THAT is a highly desired characteristic in running accessories for long durations without risk of damaging the battery itself in doing so.
    I was aiming to provide a easy to use system. If he did an AGM start and a deep cycle yes there is higher AH and more RC however he would need a custom mount for the deep cycle and it would take more awareness of the battery switch to not make mistakes or link them together. If both the batteries are the same then less can go wrong. A typical boat yea sure you do your lead acid on battery 2 and save that for when the boat dies and it will start. The rest of the time you have the selector on bank 1 with 2+ AGM Deep cycles on for tunes and normal use. With limited space on the PWC and not going custom I was trying to give a simple useful solution.

Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    Dayum, that is pretty cool (ha-ha, I don’t just “learn something new every day”; I learn it here, on the GH boards ...!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information