Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fzs vs vxr vs vx cruiser

Hi, I would like to know your opinion. I want to buy a yamaha. I can buy a Fzs 2010 with 150 hours. For the same price, I can have a vx cruiser 2011 with 50 hours.
    I had a GTX Di 2002 before. I need something reliable. Thats why I sold my GTX. At the end, I found it slow at 51 mph. But reliability will be my primary concern now.
    I will be fishing a lot on lakes and rivers. I want to know if the FZS will be reliable and stable because the performance of that ski is incredible. Or maybe I should wait to find a VXR? Let me know what you think.

Ty.

+1
    The FZS is very reliable. However, I'm not sure if it makes a good ski to fish from. Limited storage, hull design, and overall ergonomics don't really make it suited for fishing. That being said, it's a challenge to fish from just about any ski imo (save for the new Sea Doo Fish Pro which I haven't ridden). I've stopped trying since it's such a pita lol

Are you getting the ski will the sole intention to fish from it or ...?

I will use it to do long ride too. That's mostly why I need it reliable. The sea doo in here is 20k so it will be a long time for a good price drop. I made a rack for my last sea doo. Maybe I could build one for the FZS

+1
    Get the FZS... However, keep in mind the difference w/ fuel usage. The SHO/ SVHO motors use significantly more fuel than say the 1.8 N/A or MR1.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillmyself View Post
    I will use it to do long ride too. That's mostly why I need it reliable. ...
    Where are you located?

I live in Montreal.my season is 3 month long so I cant afford going to mecanics. I read that the svho can last 300h without trouble. What you think about that?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I live in Montreal. ...

I read that the svho can last 300h without trouble. What you think about that?
    Click on My Profile in top right of web site, add your location.

Our two 2017 GP1800 have about 170 hours each. At this rate they will have 1000 hours in another four years.

Regarding recommendations;
    Yamaha upgraded the SVHO engine timing chains starting with 2016, so I would recommend SVHO 2016 and newer.
    SVHO oil cooler was upgraded in 2017 (the ‘stacked plate’ oil cooler used on prior years was leak prone)
    Supercharger was improved starting with 2018 (one piece volute, so no volute pinning needed, and some other improvements ).

The non-supercharged VXR hull was upgraded for 2015 (same hull as GP1800) so it rides and handles better than the pre-2015 VXR hull, especially in somewhat rough waters. 2019 VXR ride plate and intake grate can be retro-fitted to the 2015+ VX hulls for improved ride and handling.

Pre-2015 VX hull runs a little faster with the same engine power.

The optimum Yamaha model for cruise distance and long term reliability would be the 2015+ VX models or the larger FX HO model.
    1.8 litre engine is quite strong even without the supercharger.

The three cylinder Yamaha TR-1 engine in the VX apparently has excellent fuel economy. Not a speed engine but not terribly slow either.

Supercharged SVHO models 2016 and newer also have rather good reliability. Require 91 octane gasoline.
    Last edited by K447; 04-17-2019 at 09:10 AM.

8. +1 by:

Wow couldn't ask for a better answer. I will probably wait to have a good deal on a VXR. I will be patient. Ty all for your answers.

+1
    Wow couldn't ask for a better answer. I will probably wait to have a good deal on a VXR. I will be patient. Ty all for your answers.
    You can't go wrong with any of these ski's. Yamaha makes a quality product and its only getting better as the years move forward.

+1
    The 2010 FZS is a SHO and does NOT have any issues with timing chains nor the oil cooler. One potential issue if ridden hard is the original supercharger clutch could be an issue, but if its been replaced with a 2013 and up would be better, although if ridden reasonably the original one can be ok. Good ski, my 09 FZS which I just sold to my son has been trouble free. (since replacing the clutch in 2013). Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information