Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life

+1

Battery Life

I just picked up a 2012 VXR. It has 125 hours on it. It has original battery. Former owner says its fine, and ski fires right up. Am I wrong in thinking strictly by age alone I should replace that battery?

+1
    Replace...No way I'm going out where I go with a 7year old battery..
    $100 bucks is CHEAP insurance when out on the water

+1
    Thanks you, I was not comfortable with a battery that old. I will replace. Is there anything I should look for so far a replacement?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post
    Thanks you, I was not comfortable with a battery that old. I will replace. Is there anything I should look for so far a replacement?
    Many people are much higher tech levels than me..

I went to a place locally called "battery and bulbs" and bought the absolute best 24month Duracell full replace battery they had w the most cranking amps Gel battery. $100 each

Its important to get the Correct Left/Right versions for your machine..some cables on these machines have very little Extra cable length on them.

+1
    The Deka gas mat battery are very popular for watercraft...
    Just find the cheapest one and make sure you give it a full charge before you put the battery in to service.

+1
    The AGM, sealed batteries seem to last longer than the normal style with a vent hose. I switched to a Deka brand, battery number ETX16L, 325CCA, and it has done well for two years so far. Other members have mentioned good service from the Deka. It also holds a charge way longer than the vented style when not in use but a trickle charger is recommended for any battery that isn't used often. There is an ETX16 also. Same size but the terminals are reversed. The ETX16L terminals match the original.

+1
    I am looking at this battery. 20AH, 500 CCA. Is this overkill?

https://powersportbatteries.com/yama...00cca-agm.html

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane1000 View Post
    The Deka gas mat battery are very popular for watercraft...
    Just find the cheapest one and make sure you give it a full charge before you put the battery in to service.
    The cheapest?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane1000 View Post
    The Deka glass mat battery are very popular for watercraft...
    ... make sure you give it a full charge before you put the battery in to service.
    Quote Originally Posted by trckdrvr View Post
    ... bought the ... Duracell ... battery they had w the most cranking amps Gel battery. ...

Its important to get the Correct Left/Right versions for your machine..some cables on these machines have very little Extra cable length on them.
    The Duracell powersports batteries are factory sealed AGM type, made by Deka. The unique terminal post design is only made by Deka.

The Deka ETX series AGM (and therefore also the Duracell branded version) is an excellent battery - robust, reliable, strong starting power. Just keep it properly charged and it can provide excellent service.

The Deka ETX series batteries are made with negative terminal on the left or on the right. The presence of an L suffix in the part number (such as ETX16L) indicates which side the negative post is on.

Note: These are not ‘gel’ batteries, which is a good thing. Gel batteries are not a good choice for PWC riding, the gelled electrolyte is not suitable for high impact and vibration conditions.

Sometimes you will see AGM batteries referred to as as ‘dry’ or ‘gel’ batteries, since AGM batteries will not leak electrolyte if punctured. Gel batteries also do not leak liquid acid, but AGM is not gel.

+1
    I am looking at this battery. 20AH, 500 CCA. Is this overkill?

https://powersportbatteries.com/yama...00cca-agm.html
    I'm not sure how they are getting 500cca from a battery the same size as the Deka or similar and it's weight is about a pound less. Must be the internal construction. The factory battery had @275cca and the engine doesn't need the 500 but it's up to you for a try. Let us know how it lasts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information