Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Definitely good food for thought. I suppose I can hold out this season for a 1.8L to buy one in the fall. Are all years pretty much the same? I believe the 1.8L came out in the FXHO in 09? Aside from that and the VXR, what other models is it in? Thanks for the info.

I might actually pick up a 2005 VX 110 freshwater ski with 225 hours for $2000, good deal? It’s within the budget and will get me fishing this season, maybe I’ll sell it later and get a 1.8L in the fall for cheap.

Just realized it’s a sport and doesn’t have reverse, that’s something I’d want for when other people (mainly the wife) ride it and try docking it. Not sure it’s worth the money now, ugh! Can’t believe they’d make a 3 seater 4 stroke sit down without reverse!
    Last edited by JetSkiJeffC; 04-18-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSkiJeffC View Post
    ... 2005 VX ...

... doesnít have reverse, thatís something Iíd want for when other people ... ride it ...
    I will mention that the Yamaha RiDE system (which has only been available for a few model years) is way nicer that the mechanical reverse systems. RiDE is much easier for others to use, and more importantly, intuitive enough that they can safely maneuver around docks and launch ramps with some confidence within minutes.

I would not buy a Yamaha without RiDE. I learned years ago on watercraft that did not have reverse at all, and then I had mechanical reverse for a bunch of years. I can handle a PWC in tight areas without touching the mechanical reverse, yet RiDE just makes it so much nicer.

So far the RiDE system, despite having an electric motor and some electronics (all contained in an integrated module) has been quite reliable. Very few reports of trouble. No long control cable like a mechanical reverse, RiDE is actually quite simple mechanically.

I have yet to go on a Waverunners with the RiDE system. What year did they implement that? I am tired of cables getting stuck or difficult to open.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSkiJeffC View Post
    I have yet to go on a Waverunners with the RiDE system.

What year did they implement that? ...
    2015 was the first year Yamaha offered RiDE.

I consider the RiDE ‘braking from speed’ aspect to be less important than the excellent low speed operator control and precise maneuvering in tight areas.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3011363

+1
    Agreed.... I simply would not get a ski without reverse. Now ride is awesome, but I get by fine with a manual reverse. My main issue with the manual reverse is that it does not have a neutral position or detent. However I've gotten accustomed to holding the lever in a "neutral-like" position to feather the ski near the dock or maneuver gently onto the trailer bunks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post

When one thinks of personal watercraft it’s not often that functioning brakes and computer-controlled reverse systems come to mind. While not the first to offer a functioning braking system, Yamaha’s RiDE Dual Throttle Control system provides the vehicle operator supreme control over their watercraft’s ability to slow, stop and maneuver through tight confines.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    RiDe is the best But I would try it out with a rod in your hand first-
    I think you will like the (old) lever reverse for fishing.
    Before RiDe I could pull 2 skis from the trailer to the dock at 1 time- Cant do it as well with RiDe now . too many hand switching.
    Just my 2 crappy cents..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    RiDe is the best But I would try it out with a rod in your hand first-
    I think you will like the (old) lever reverse for fishing.
    Before RiDe I could pull 2 skis from the trailer to the dock at 1 time- Cant do it as well with RiDe now . too many hand switching.
    Just my 2 crappy cents..

That's a good two-cents . . . Me, loading the ski back onto my trailer, sometimes (depending on how steep the ramp is) I'll run it partially up onto the bunks (gently), leaving it running (in fwd) so it doesn't slip back off whilst I hook-up the wench strap to the bow eye and crank it on fully.
    On a Ride ski, releasing the two throttles puts the ski in neutral, so it wouldn't stay against the bunks in this situation - unless the ski also had a no-wake mode perhaps.

Out on the water, I think Ride would be good, as there are times I might quickly site-cast into a bait-school and not want to shut-down fully just to only start back up again. Being stuck in forward sucks, not just because I'll be moving, rather means I have to constantly mind the steerage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    wench strap

11. +1 by:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information