Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Im back and rebuilding my 1300

So last year I was a little depressed and in the process of buying a new truck so I let my 03 sit all summer and Winter. The Best guess I could come up with what happened at the time was I lost a locating pin and had a piston blow. What really happened was my oil Pump cable loosened all the way up and nearly fell off. I thought I needed one piston, it turns out I needed 2. So I'm going to do 3 oem. Im getting all the cylinders cleaned and honed. My power valves were considerably dirty for using amsoil. With all that being said i I have a few questions going forward.

1st I am getting my crank checked, but one bearing the inner race is moving on the crank is that even OK considering they are held in place with set pins?

2nd while I'm in there is it worth putting a timing key if so what degree is the safest for not running a fuel controller and I only have access to 89 gas most of the time. The ski has a Riva air filter and that's it for engine mods. 13/20 sb impeller was running about 7100 on tach

3rd anyone have recommendations of a complete gasket and seal kit for the mtor and exhaust? Ive been told they are reusable but are the all reusable? Motor has 170hrs on it.

4th with this thing completely apart, anyone have any other reccomendations of anything to do?

Im looking forward to letting this thing rip. And hopefully not blow it up again. It will probably run the best it ever has since i owned it.

slower lower Delaware. And have a cottage on finger lake in upstate NY.
    +1
    Which Amsoil oil are you using? The interceptor oil is designed for power valve motors.it should keep the valve area fairly clean.

+1
    The oil pump was not the reason for the engine blowing. When the cable breaks/comes off the pump goes to maximum stroke to prevent an oil starvation. I dont think the inner race should be moving on the crank, as they are pressed onto the crank assembly. Without a fuel controller and no access to 93 octane I wouldn't use an advanced key.

Ive been using interceptor. I switched a few seasons ago from oem stuff. Also the cable backed all the was loose. As in it wasnt engaging the cam but half way and calling for more oil. How else do i blow holes through pistons on a stock motor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in DE View Post
    Which Amsoil oil are you using? The interceptor oil is designed for power valve motors.it should keep the valve area fairly clean.
    Friendly curiosity: where you got the source on the Interceptor vs. Dominator. I've done searches when purchase time comes, multiple times, and can't remember ever understanding the actual difference.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steelmesh View Post
    Friendly curiosity: where you got the source on the Interceptor vs. Dominator. I've done searches when purchase time comes, multiple times, and can't remember ever understanding the actual difference.
    I get my oil directly from Amsoil. I've made no comparison of Amsoil interceptor vs dominator??
    If you read there product info though the interceptor was designed for power valve motors. It has added detergents to keep the valve area cleaner. After conversing with Amsoil tech I was told the interceptor would be best for the application.
    If you join up as a preferred customer you get there products at a discount.
    Last edited by Dave in DE; 04-12-2019 at 05:13 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waveflyer 90 View Post
    Ive been using interceptor. I switched a few seasons ago from oem stuff. Also the cable backed all the was loose. As in it wasnt engaging the cam but half way and calling for more oil. How else do i blow holes through pistons on a stock motor?
    If the Cable loosened up then yes you were running lean. When the cable is set up correctly, at idle your around 200/1. At full throttle around 50/1.
    If the Cable breaks the pump goes wide open and way over oils to let you know there's an issue but doesn't cook the motor. With it just loose it made it under oil or lean out.
    There's a set of marks on the pump cam and body that will line up with throttle closed when the cable is set correctly.
    Last edited by Dave in DE; 04-12-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Fu@$in little set screw costing me 1200$ i thought i needed 1 piston and a crank inspection. Turns out i need 2 so im doing 3. And i spun the bearing on the crank. But i have a lead to known good running used one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in DE View Post
    I get my oil directly from Amsoil. I've made no comparison of Amsoil interceptor vs dominator??
    If you read there product info though the interceptor was designed for power valve motors. It has added detergents to keep the valve area cleaner. After conversing with Amsoil tech I was told the interceptor would be best for the application.
    If you join up as a preferred customer you get there products at a discount.
    Opps I mis-represented you in my question, I shouldn't have said the versus part. The point was that there is no clear answers for dominator vs. interceptor in general, but the implications of your comment may have contributed to answering this for all of the interweb

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waveflyer 90 View Post
    What did the hole look like? A nice, neat hole somewhat in the center of the piston? Or maybe the piston being eaten away next to the exhaust port? If so....both if those failures are caused by a lean fuel/air ratio. Not by oil. Lack of oil causes things to melt. To correct the problem you must first understand the problem. If you don't properly diagnose it, it will blow up again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information