Thread: New computer

New computer

So if you buy a new computer,tuned, from one of the aftermarket and have a problem, what are the pitfalls in keeping warranty in check?
    I have a 2016 FZR, and just bought a 2019 FX SVHO and would like to add a lil more performance to it, but hesitate to throw away my warranty. I hear thru the grapevine that Yamaha is checking files, RPM ranges, and hour meters on computer to match the ski, is this so?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspeeddemon View Post
    So if you buy a new computer,tuned, from one of the aftermarket and have a problem, what are the pitfalls in keeping warranty in check?
    I have a 2016 FZR, and just bought a 2019 FX SVHO and would like to add a lil more performance to it, but hesitate to throw away my warranty. I hear thru the grapevine that Yamaha is checking files, RPM ranges, and hour meters on computer to match the ski, is this so?

Go with the MaptunerX system and use the bone stock tune. It keeps RPM under 8000 so it's not detectible by your dealer. The nice the about the MaptunerX system is you can upgrade tunes at any time, and even flash back to stock when you bring the ski in for warranty work and it costs you nothing extra.

Let's also clear up a misconception on "Voiding Warranty"
    If you tune your ski your dealer cannot deny your whole skis warranty. There's something called the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act that protects consumers. Basically this Act states that the modification has to be proven to have caused the failure for them to deny coverage on the failed item.

Let's say that you flash the ECU, and your instrument cluster goes out, a sensor fails, or a trim piece breaks. It's quite obvious that the tune on the ECU could not have caused any of those failures, therefore they cannot deny coverage on it. You DO NOT lose your whole skis warranty. Now, if you flashed the ECU and you run sub standard fuel and you burn up your motor, then they could absolutely deny warranty coverage on the motor repair.... but you do not lose your entire skis warranty.

Hope this helps!
    Jerry

RIVA Maptuner X Tuning Bundle Pack 1.8L Yamaha Waverunners

The MaptunerX Bundle delivers instant plug-in horsepower! Quickly and easily load performance tunes into your Yamaha PWC eliminating the need to ship...
    RY110SC $1,067.12 $939.95
    12% discount

... more info

Great information a Jerry, thank you. I have the Maptuner X on my 2016 FZR, My local dealer is easy to work with however they said that Yamaha is now looking at rev Ranges and are also looking at the hour Clock on the computer and make sure that it matches the ski! So the concern is if you would Rev it to 8000, the factory ski revs goes to 7600 would that not be something they can pick up on?
    As mentioned above my idea was to put a whole new computer and it from Deans teams for $950, I know he has them listed on his website and then swap the factory computer back in it if there was a problem. I’m just trying to figure out what the pitfalls of doing that would be as far as losing warranty?
    Last edited by Jspeeddemon; 04-12-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Thread Information