+1

Winch straps for Triton trailers

When I ordered the F2 jack I also ordered some boatbuckle PWC winch straps. Unless I am a complete freaking idiot they won't work because the soft loop is 2" longer than the stock Triton/ Knox straps which puts to hook up over the winch drum.

I guess that is why the Triton straps cost $23 each.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Soft loop?

I directly clip the metal snap hook on the Triton winch strap to the metal bow eye. I do not trust the narrow fabric ‘hand loop’ to be as strong as an actual metal to metal connection.

I also have added aftermarket guide rollers below the bow roller. Some Tritons came with a skinny guide roller, others apparently do not have one at all.

The guide roller creates a better angle for the winch strap connection to the hull bow eye. And it provides some distance for the winch strap hook hardware.

Tip: The factory bow rollers which Triton supplies from the factory are blue color, and I find the blue material is rather abrasive on the hull finish. I have replaced all my Triton blue bow rollers with Stoltz orange. Much software material, less paint damage on my Yamaha hulls

+1
    I always can count on your answers. There seems to be some confusion or discrepancy with some of the PWC winch straps and the short loop. Some are clearly labeled as tie downs and others are listed as pull straps. The Triton/Knox and the BoatBuckle are supposed to be actual soft tie attachment points.

I know you have posted many times that the blue stock rollers are hard on the finish. So far, knock on wood, they don't seem to be roughing up the finish on either of my yamahas. I will keep a close watch on it though.

I have not seen any of the current tritons that have the strap guide like you added, when did they stop putting those on?

Speaking of straps I am sure I am going to regret this but I bought 2 more pairs of the crappy stock rear retractable ratchets that the trailer came with since mine don't retract anymore (guess I cinched them down too tightly) but Walmart has them for $20 a set instead of the insane prices Triton wants for them. When these go bad I will put the boatbuckles on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toledoupsguy View Post
    I always can count on your answers. There seems to be some confusion or discrepancy with some of the PWC winch straps and the short loop. Some are clearly labeled as tie downs and others are listed as pull straps. The Triton/Knox and the BoatBuckle are supposed to be actual soft tie attachment points.

I know you have posted many times that the blue stock rollers are hard on the finish. So far, knock on wood, they don't seem to be roughing up the finish on either of my yamahas. I will keep a close watch on it though.

I have not seen any of the current tritons that have the strap guide like you added, when did they stop putting those on?

Speaking of straps I am sure I am going to regret this but I bought 2 more pairs of the crappy stock rear retractable ratchets that the trailer came with since mine don't retract anymore (guess I cinched them down too tightly) but Walmart has them for $20 a set instead of the insane prices Triton wants for them. When these go bad I will put the boatbuckles on.
    I absolutely love my boatbuckles. I would never want a trailer without them. Ive only launched in salt water like 2 times, but ive had them nearly a year with no problem at all.
    I do want to look into other options for hooking up the ski though. I might just switch to using the metal hook. The bow eye is replaceable if it gets too beat up.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Replacing the Triton factory winch strap hook with 4" Wichard SS 2482 snap hook

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper9789 View Post
    ... boatbuckles...

... I might just switch to using the metal hook. The bow eye is replaceable if it gets too beat up.
    I use the stainless steel G2 boat buckles. 2" wide strap. Easy on the hands, holds the ski firmly in place.

I also use one as a safety strap at the bow.

Note: The hooks on the Triton factory winch straps that came on my WC2-2 trailer would not actually fit around the chubby Yamaha bow eyes (GP1800). So I did use the fabric loop for a while, but the loops began to fray.

I bought some high grade stainless steel snap hooks (over 2000 pound working load) that had a wide enough opening to fit around the ~16mm Yamaha bow eye.
    Wichard 4 inch #2482

I removed the factory snap hooks from the winch strap (careful cutting with an angle grinder) and used a twisted stainless shackle to link the new snap hook to the winch strap. 5/16" size IIRC

Much nicer to handle, especially with wet hands and/or working by feel, with solid and secure attachment to the ski.
    And the metal hardware is now all SS, unlike the factory winch strap hardware.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P04482196_1500.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	446923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	116079.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	446924  

Thread Information