Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil change

Oil change

Hey guys, just a quick question. I have 2- Kawasaki Ultra LXs 2007. Needing to do an oil change before the start of the boating season. Is it easier to just go have it done , spend $300, or do it myself, buy the oil pump extractor, filter, oil, etc.? Is it easy to do?. I took my boat in and had it done . Just curious about the skis. Thanks

+1
    The filter is the hardest part. If it on tight, its a biotch to get off. You can't see it so its all by feel. If you have large arms, they won't fit to reach the filter.
    Put several rags under the filter to catch any spillage.

Sucking out is easy and so its installing the new filter if your hands can reach it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    get some oil filter pliers. you'll never get it off with a cap wrench if it's an OEM filter that has never been removed

+1
    The original oil filter on mine was on tight. I had to drill a hole in my cup type oil wrench and and screw in a self tapping hex head screw into the filter.

+1
    Ultra LX is a piece of cake, if the filter isn't stuck. The trick is to work from the left side. Slide a puppy training pad under the front of the engine, then up the right side under the filter to catch any drips.

The STX-12F & -15F are a lot tighter than the Ultra hulls. If you can't get your hand in, remove the glove box and reach in through that hole.

The real pain in the ass is the 310. The intake manifold hangs down in front of the filter preventing a ratchet from getting in there. I spent 2 hours today trying to get the filter off of mine. No luck. I've got a brand new nylon strap wrench that I could cut down and it would work great, but I can't find it. I've got an old one, but don't want to shorten it.

Oh, yea, to get as much oil out as possible, jack up the left rear corner of the trailer. I got over 4 quarts out of each 'Ski by doing this. I have a pneumatic oil extractor that works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1
    I go with theses..wire them to your hand so you don't drop them. swivel the fuel line clamp oaut of the way or it will cut you good.

+1 working from the port side..keep this in mind if they are on a double trailer. I've managed from both sides with minimal pain

about $15 on average.

try not to drop the filter when it comes off

+1
    Well, my strap wrench didn't work. I've used it for more than 40 years and this is the first time I couldn't get the filter to budge. The strap slipped on the filter. I wrapped electrical tape around the filter and still couldn't get it. I finally my Knipex slip-joint pliers and got it. Not much room for 16" pliers in that engine compartment!

+1
    Glad you got it!

FWIW, I have had success with a cut-to-width and cut-to-match internal circumference strip of really low # grit sandpaper inside either a strap or tension (the constricting metal band type) oil filter wrench when either those types slip on the filter, by themselves. It works!

Man, hearing how difficult some of these filters can be to remove, I can think of SOME service shops or individual employees that I’d NEVER trust to do the job either correctly or, without doing some level of damage, somewhere inside the compartment ...

Glad you got that sucka!

+1
    Seriously guys, get one like this if you don't already have it. https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS...1K95NSCNYGE8H6
    I use it on everything, including the 310x. The hex part comes off and has your 3/8” drive right on the tool.

+1
    nice bit..IO still prefer old faithful, which allows me to grab the filter near the bottom. I can see this being really handy for my trucks however....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information