Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    I hope I made the right choice! first ski 2012 RXT 260

    I've always had throw away jet skis, seado SPI (500$ ride for a bit etc.) not very stable, bad haul designs..


    I just went and bought a MINT 2012 RXT260 supercharged with 60 hours!! local powersports shop, they replaced the cluster, fresh oil change, new batter, and impeller brand new trailer

    I got a really good deal on it.. i'm a bigger guy (270 lbs) so i think this will fit my needs.. everyone says this thing will fly!!, i haven't read many issues... so tell me a little about it..


    What kind of maintenance am i looking at?

    every 100 hours oil change?


  2. #2
    Congrats on the new machine. Look at getting your supercharger rebuilt forsure due to the age. For an oil change I do one every season. Only put on 30 to 40 hrs a year. Expect to change the wear ring in the coming future. I change spark plugs every year in the spring. Other than that you should be good to go. If you havent taken it on the water yet hook it up to a hose and run it for a few mins with the seat off looking for leaks and to insure your first outing will be a success. Make sure your plugs are in

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ski doo zx 800 View Post
    Congrats on the new machine. Look at getting your supercharger rebuilt forsure due to the age. For an oil change I do one every season. Only put on 30 to 40 hrs a year. Expect to change the wear ring in the coming future. I change spark plugs every year in the spring. Other than that you should be good to go. If you havent taken it on the water yet hook it up to a hose and run it for a few mins with the seat off looking for leaks and to insure your first outing will be a success. Make sure your plugs are in
    the powersports place do a lot of water testing on them before selling to insure quality , so i'm assuming the super charger dont need maitence right this moment, he insured me, i didn't have to touch it for awhile.

    I'll have to ask, i would assume they did a wear ring when they put a new pump it? i'll have to get a print out of the records, to be sure

    I pick it up tomorrow, it was getting detailed today, any special water hookup i need? (hose adapter?) where would the port be located? on the back on the ski?

  4. #4
    I dont want to sound like a no it all but I almost lost a friend due to a dealers ignorance on selling a used machine. 06 rxt brain failed 30 seconds after start up. He went back to the dealer that day and they admitted they never even fired the machine up. No fire extinguisher even that they said it had in it. Flood waters on the mississippi river next to a lock and Dam. Great combo. Most just take them in and throw them up for sale. The super charger should be 100 hrs or every 2 yrs. Whatever comes first. I would assume a new wear ring was installed with the impellar but you can do without it. Crawl under the ski and look in. You will be able to tell right away

    Sc. When they go they are on the air intake side of the motor. The clutch washers fail and go though the engine. Total loss more than likely. That's the reason its important to rebuild them. Also bearings wear out.

    Another thing I'd do before you take possession of it is have them hook it up to a hose and fire it up. Make sure it has a fire extinguisher, spare keys, any storage bins. Also why did they put a new impellar in it? They would be a question to ask. Then ask did they do a new driveshaft? Drive shaft spines fail. 2009 skis had that issue big time.

  5. #5
    The port should be on the left side of the ski on the very back fiberglass edge. It's a regular garden hose hook up.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ski doo zx 800 View Post
    I dont want to sound like a no it all but I almost lost a friend due to a dealers ignorance on selling a used machine. 06 rxt brain failed 30 seconds after start up. He went back to the dealer that day and they admitted they never even fired the machine up. No fire extinguisher even that they said it had in it. Flood waters on the mississippi river next to a lock and Dam. Great combo. Most just take them in and throw them up for sale. The super charger should be 100 hrs or every 2 yrs. Whatever comes first. I would assume a new wear ring was installed with the impellar but you can do without it. Crawl under the ski and look in. You will be able to tell right away

    Sc. When they go they are on the air intake side of the motor. The clutch washers fail and go though the engine. Total loss more than likely. That's the reason its important to rebuild them. Also bearings wear out.

    Another thing I'd do before you take possession of it is have them hook it up to a hose and fire it up. Make sure it has a fire extinguisher, spare keys, any storage bins. Also why did they put a new impellar in it? They would be a question to ask. Then ask did they do a new driveshaft? Drive shaft spines fail. 2009 skis had that issue big time.

    Great to hear! im not sure on the details, on to why it was replaced, if it was due to wear or just some sort of "maintenance"

    when i looked at the ski, before detail it looked great, no seat tears, no damage to haul, grips looked good, no damage to the skins/plastics,

    So at the age of the SC, you recommend a rebuild already? or drive it for a bit then do a rebuild? are they easy for a mechanically inclined person?(i work on cars for a living) if not, whats the avg rebuild price is there any sort of check i can do to see the wear? as costly as it sounds, i'm wondering if i can have some fun till mid summer and then rebuild it, (being the ski only has 60 hours?)

    so basically before i pick it up tomorrow, crawl under it check the great/impeller out, and get them to bench run it for me for a good minute or so

    this company has ALOT of great reviews and satisfied customers, it seems like they are really down to earth, so im inclined to believe a little bit, the deal seemed right as well

  7. #7
    I'd recommend rebuilding it. You roll the dice with it. Yes you will be able to pull it out. Rebuilding it isnt terrible. Several youtube videos on it. But by the time you buy the rebuild kit and speical tools needed you can send it out for the same price about. Pulling it is tight and a pia. Not a ton of room to work either. As most guys say in the industry it's the age of the bearings and wear on the clutch washers. Rebuilds should be somewhere in between 350 and 600 depending on what shop and if you pull it yourself. I would definitely ask why an impellar was done. Did the ski suck up rocks? Rope go though it? Or did the drive shaft fail? Several reasons. I've replaced one impellar on a used rxp. It looked like rocks went though it. I'd ask if the dealer is will to throw in new spark plugs. Super simple to change. No indexing even. Just one less thing to buy.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ski doo zx 800 View Post
    I'd recommend rebuilding it. You roll the dice with it. Yes you will be able to pull it out. Rebuilding it isnt terrible. Several youtube videos on it. But by the time you buy the rebuild kit and speical tools needed you can send it out for the same price about. Pulling it is tight and a pia. Not a ton of room to work either. As most guys say in the industry it's the age of the bearings and wear on the clutch washers. Rebuilds should be somewhere in between 350 and 600 depending on what shop and if you pull it yourself. I would definitely ask why an impellar was done. Did the ski suck up rocks? Rope go though it? Or did the drive shaft fail? Several reasons. I've replaced one impellar on a used rxp. It looked like rocks went though it. I'd ask if the dealer is will to throw in new spark plugs. Super simple to change. No indexing even. Just one less thing to buy.
    Thank you for the input, I'll ask and get service records, I dont think I'll get them to throw in anything else haha.. I got them for a couple high dollar life jackets. Plugs are cheap, I can do that myself.

    As far as that sc does yah..I guess its one of them things, I definitely want to ride it for a bit make sure everything is good before dumping another 500$ I got the ski for 8500 seems like a hell of a deal for my location and the brand new trailer, a d low hours

    Another thing, I found out insurance is cheap for theses.. does full coverage cover anything like engine damage?

  9. #9
    jww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Port Severn
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by grss429 View Post
    Thank you for the input, I'll ask and get service records, I dont think I'll get them to throw in anything else haha.. I got them for a couple high dollar life jackets. Plugs are cheap, I can do that myself.

    As far as that sc does yah..I guess its one of them things, I definitely want to ride it for a bit make sure everything is good before dumping another 500$ I got the ski for 8500 seems like a hell of a deal for my location and the brand new trailer, a d low hours

    Another thing, I found out insurance is cheap for theses.. does full coverage cover anything like engine damage?
    what part of the world are you from

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dalton, Ga.
    Posts
    92
    +1
    16
    Don't listen to the fear
    This is a repair/mechanic Forum and some very knowledgeable people here..

    But


    Go enjoy your new ski..and Congratulations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rxt 260 2010-11 same mm opening nozzle as 2012-up Rxt 260?
    By zpeedray in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-29-2016, 03:41 PM
  2. Made the choice 2015 GTR 215
    By X96mnn in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-27-2015, 03:22 AM
  3. Difference between 2010 RXT X 260 vs. 2012 RXT X 260
    By WY Sea Doo nute in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2015, 05:39 PM
  4. Choice between a GTR 215 or an RXT IS 260???
    By terrymcg in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 10:14 AM
  5. FS 2012 RXP-X 260 & RXT-X 260 iS/aS - Riva Free Flow Exhaust
    By saltyqld in forum Sea Doo 4Tec Skis
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 05:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •