Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Schertz, TX
    Posts
    291
    +1
    26

    Noob here - How difficult is it to change your own spark plugs?

    I have two GTI 130's, my dealer wants $300/ski for oil and plugs. Its so expensive, I'm considering doing my own oil/filter and plugs. I've never seen any good videos on how to change the plugs, could someone direct me to a good how to video? Or is it too much for a noob like me?


  2. #2
    ptscon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,650
    +1
    1,005
    It's so easy a caveman could do it.

    There's nothing to it really, unclip the wiring connector, pull the coil out it's just snug in there, unscrew the spark plug with a plug socket and extension, screw in new spark plug finger tight then I do additional 3/4 turn to crush the washer, reinstall the coil by pushing it in till it bottoms out, reconnect the connector. Done.

    It's also a good idea to verify the spark plug gap on the new plugs.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Schertz, TX
    Posts
    291
    +1
    26
    I figured it had to be somewhat easy but the lack of info was worrisome. What is a spark plug gap?

  4. #4
    ptscon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,650
    +1
    1,005
    Quote Originally Posted by cxk View Post
    I figured it had to be somewhat easy but the lack of info was worrisome. What is a spark plug gap?




    They are usually pretty close out of the box, should be 0.030" or 0.75mm

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Schertz, TX
    Posts
    291
    +1
    26
    Thanks! Is there a need to put anti seize or dielectric grease on them?

  6. #6
    Site Admin Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Morgan City, LA
    Posts
    38,192
    +1
    3,256
    Quote Originally Posted by cxk View Post
    I have two GTI 130's, my dealer wants $300/ski for oil and plugs. Its so expensive, I'm considering doing my own oil/filter and plugs. I've never seen any good videos on how to change the plugs, could someone direct me to a good how to video? Or is it too much for a noob like me?
    This will help you
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ht=spark+plugs
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ght=oil+change

    Below are the correct spark plugs and oil/filter kit for your ski.
    Thanks for supporting the GreenHulk forum and store!

    Sea Doo NGK DCPR8E Spark Plug for all 4-Tec Skis

    NGK Spark Plug for all Sea Doo 4-Tec Engines. (total of 3 required)
    DCPR8E $3.50

    XPS Sea Doo 4-Tec Oil Change/Maintenance Kit (for 130, 155, 185, 215, 255, 260 HP)

    Sea Doo XPS 4-Stroke Oil Change Kit. For use with all 4-stroke 4-TEC Sea Doo Engines. You expect your Sea-Doo watercraft to slice through countless...
    295501157

  7. +1 by:


  8. #7
    "It's easy when you know how"! For a total noob, the big danger it overtightening the plugs. Get a good torque wrench and stick religiously to the factory specs (I believe it's 17 ft-lbs but be sure to double check).

  9. #8
    SplishSplash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Belle River Ont Canada
    Posts
    1,953
    +1
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by cxk View Post
    Thanks! Is there a need to put anti seize or dielectric grease on them?
    A little anti seize on the treads is always a good idea.

  10. #9
    Xspook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Space coast, FL (Brevard County)
    Posts
    1,694
    +1
    343
    Trust me - do it yourself. $300??? Jeebus. You can do it yourself for about $90 each. (you can buy cheaper oil, but I prefer OEM, especially if it's under warranty)

    Tools you will need:

    1. Oil extractor, as there is no drain plug like cars have.

    You can either buy a manual pump extractor, or better yet buy an electric oil extractor. With 2 skis it will pay for itself in no time. I use mine to pump out the oil on my lawn tractor, generator, etc.

    2. e10 torx socket to remove the oil filter housing cap screw.

    3. Socket wrench with an extended handle to reach the spark plugs.

    4. Spark plug socket.

    5. Spark plug anti-seize. Careful not to put any on the end of the plug....just the threads.

    6. MolyKote for the ignition coils.

    Follow the excellent how-to in the links from post 6 above.

    Before you remove the spark plugs, I recommend using an air compressor to blow out any debris in the ignition coil "holes".

    Re: spark plug gap...I change mine every 50 hours (just did it last week) and I don't bother messing with the gap. Rode last weekend and it was smooth as butter. I guess it wouldn't hurt to gap them; I just don't bother.

    Oil change procedure:


    Spark plug procedure:

  11. #10

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Schertz, TX
    Posts
    291
    +1
    26
    Thanks, it is pretty outrageously priced. I checked with another dealer and they said $250 but thats still a lot. The MolyKote is for plastic looking top where the wire connects?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    Trust me - do it yourself. $300??? Jeebus. You can do it yourself for about $90 each. (you can buy cheaper oil, but I prefer OEM, especially if it's under warranty)

    Tools you will need:

    1. Oil extractor, as there is no drain plug like cars have.

    You can either buy a manual pump extractor, or better yet buy an electric oil extractor. With 2 skis it will pay for itself in no time. I use mine to pump out the oil on my lawn tractor, generator, etc.

    2. e10 torx socket to remove the oil filter housing cap screw.

    3. Socket wrench with an extended handle to reach the spark plugs.

    4. Spark plug socket.

    5. Spark plug anti-seize. Careful not to put any on the end of the plug....just the threads.

    6. MolyKote for the ignition coils.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 657 is difficult to turn over with plugs?
    By nsschwenk in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 11:42 AM
  2. spark plugs in cracks twice, spark plugs out cranks really good wth??
    By nickflo7 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 09:43 PM
  3. Spark plug difficult to install
    By xray328 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 07:40 PM
  4. how to change spark plugs stx 15f
    By imax in forum Kawasaki How To & FAQs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM
  5. Noob Oil change question
    By drtbk4ever in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 09:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •