93 Sl 750 Water and Oil In Block

I went to start my sl 750 that I bought (unknown history) after replacing all the fuel lines and putting in a triple output fuel pump and, long story short, found the exhaust was full of water and the pulse line off the block has a water/oil mixture coming out of it. The engine will crank for a few rotation then "bind up" to a full stop. I take it this likely means the crank case is full of oil and water. I did have it run for a few seconds after pouring gas down the carbs before realizing there was water in there, but all 3 holes still have compression, so I don't think I wrecked a piston.

Do you guys have any suggestions for getting the water out? I tried removing the exhaust as I read there were drain plugs on the exhaust side but I haven't gotten it off as it seems to be a PITA to remove with the engine in the hull.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Hmmm, not sounding good. Read up on how to recover from a water flooded engine.

Basic steps;
    take out spark plugs
    crank engine in 20 second intervals until very little water mist is coming out.
    Let the starter motor cool between cranks.
    keep the battery charged.

put spark plugs in snugly (does not need to be fully torqued) and attempt to start engine.
    if no fire, take the spark plugs out and dry the tips (probably water soaked)
    Repeat until it actually begins to fire.
    keep battery charged
    Dry spark plugs, try to start again.

a tiny dribble of gasoline (pre-mixed with 2-stroke oil) put into each cylinder before re-installing the spark plugs can sometimes help it fire up
    Do not use engine starting fluid. Very hard on the engine and can backfire.

HOWEVER, the bigger concern is how long the water has sat in the engine crankcase. There are steel crankshaft bearings down there, and they do not like water. If any of the bearings have even started to rust, the engine will likely not last long, even if you do get it running.

If you do get it running and take it for a water ride with rusty crankshaft bearings, and a bearing seizes up while riding, it can cause huge additional damage to the engine. How long will rusty bearings last at speed? Maybe a few hours, maybe minutes, maybe just a few seconds. No way to predict.

Just revving it on the trailer does not prove anything, other than it has not yet seized up entirely

You can do some external visual inspections of the crank area though the crankcase air intake ports.

If you are at all uncertain about what condition the crank is regarding rust, the proper method would be to remove the engine, tear it down, and directly inspect the bearings.

Thanks for the detailed response. From what came out of the pulse line port, the mixture did look to have a lot more oil than water in it. Maybe that will have saved some life on the crank and bearings.

When the starter "binds up" though, could that be caused by too much fluid in the crank case? It still binds when the sprak plugs are out. If you let it site a while then it's usually freed up again.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by starsfan9 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed response. From what came out of the pulse line port, the mixture did look to have a lot more oil than water in it. Maybe that will have saved some life on the crank and bearings.

When the starter "binds up" though, could that be caused by too much fluid in the crank case? It still binds when the sprak plugs are out. If you let it site a while then it's usually freed up again.
    With spark plugs removed and the engine not cranking easily (binding) the primary suspects would be bearing seizure inside the engine or the jet pump is binding.

Note: There are lots of other possible causes.

Remove the jet pump and driveshaft. See if the engine will then crank.

With jet pump removed the impeller should turn easily. Any grinding feeling or noise means the jet pump bearings are bad.

Thread Information