Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Update: Went out on the water today, Ski fired right up and seemed to run great for the most part. I think I have the low end carb adjustments too rich, as after idling for a while it bogs like crazy. I still can't get it to rev past 3/4 throttle though(same problem originally, but it is idling and starting much better now). When out on the water, 3/4 throttle and full throttle act exactly the same, except you can hear it bog a little bit when it is wide open. I can consistently hit 42mph hour now on the "speedometer", so that is an improvement. Tach tops out at 5500rpm in the water still, revs to 7k no issues on the trailer. Any ideas? Should I lean out or richen the high end needles? Not sure what else to do here so appreciate any ideas.

On a side note, I also now have a major fiberglass repair on my to do list. Huge dumb@ss attack, and very unlike me. I was playing around on some waves, and failed to pay attention to where I was going. I bailed before it hit the pylon, so luckily I only have fiberglass repair instead of a head injury(extremely lucky, could have been much worse...). Definitely shook me up, and was a huge wake up call. Embarrassing to admit, but if anyone else is reading this my hope is that they don't do the same stupid thing. Key takeaway is watch far in front of you, not just on the waves you are playing on, and those pylons come up quick and are easy to not see(apparently...). I'm not too concerned with this old Ski looking perfect, so I will just repair it myself and the damage will be a constant reminder to me while I'm out to be careful.

Really would appreciate any insight on it not revving past 5500rpm though, as I know continuing to run it like this could cause internal engine issues....

+1
    Let's see a pic of the spark plugs.

Pictures of the plugs. Definitely looks to be running rich, just not sure if it's only running rich at idle or WOT as well. When I punch it, the ski responds immediately but caps at 5500rpm.

And while I"m at it, this is the bulk of the damage from the impact. Also have some damage on the side that I need to repair, but that will be a cakewalk in comparison. Going for function over form, and will probably plasti-dip the nose and add shark decals or something to make it look halfway presentable. It's an old ski, so as long as it is water tight and safe I'm good.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57688847202__DA33A44C-CFDA-4AA7-AB05-CC149ED5731C.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	447011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0369.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	447010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	447009  

+1
    Plugs appear a bit rich but not enough to cause your issue. Is the power valve servo motor working? If you start up the ski, let it idle several seconds, then shut it off.....you should hear the servo motor and see the pulley on the rear cylinder move back and forth.

Power valve is working, I can also see it move when I rev it. I assume a fuel delivery issue would show lean plugs, so is it safe to rule that out?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Plugs appear a bit rich but not enough to cause your issue. Is the power valve servo motor working? If you start up the ski, let it idle several seconds, then shut it off.....you should hear the servo motor and see the pulley on the rear cylinder move back and forth.

My thoughts too. Seems like a power valve issue possibly. Have you had the covers off to inspect them? They need to be cleaned as well most likely. Also, you can do a “plug chop” to check for a fuel delivery issue at that rpm range without having to wonder if your rich idle is covering it up. Run it for 30seconds or so at the problem area then hit the kill switch while at speed. Coast to a stop and pull the plugs and take some pictures. Easiest just to run without the seat and bring the wrench with you.

Yeah I had the covers off to install the waveater clips. Everything seemed intact, albeit sludgy. I removed as much sludge as I could without letting it fall into the engine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information