Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    +1
    Well clammed the syphon tube, pulled some stuff so I can see the bottom of the bearing.....

video says its leaking around the edges and inside..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    So how much of a pain is it to replace that. Can you buy the whole part or just have to rebuild it all bearings and seals?
    "If it is said that a picture is worth a thousand words... your video is worth a million." - thanks for posting that.

First, I've not seen the whole IB assembly sold fully assembled by a parts depot. It seems to be only sold in separate parts. You can contact a Yamaha dealer to order all the parts, then have them build an IB assembly for you - yet I'm sure that is equally as costly as just going to a reputable non-yamaha repair shop drop your entire ski to them and have them fix your ski for you.

That said, let me explain what has happen with your current IB assembly....
    The housing is aluminum, and there is a black rubber boot formed into this housing as one piece. The issue is that the aluminum and rubber can begin to separate, and this causes the exposed aluminum to oxidize & expand. The expansion deforms the mating surfaces and leaks occur. You have leaks in the mid-wall partition & inside the housing, which means the rubber boot is compromised. This cannot be repair - only a new housing is your option.

I can tell you from your video, that you will need a brand new IB housing replacement... as this includes the attached/inner rubber boot as one molded piece. You can likely transfer your existing mid-shaft, and I'd go ahead and order a new bearing and seals while you are there. Finally, you need to either do the repair procedure yourself (which is going to likely be not possible due to the hard-to-find special tools and Press necessary), or take the new (and your old) parts to a mechanic already familiar with this type of repair.

Another option is to look online for ski part-outs, to see if you can find a decent used fully assembled IM/mid-shaft assembly. This is a common part on many Yamaha models, so lookup the parts fiche to see which other skis share this same part can widen your search for a used part.

As far as replacing the IB - your will need to (at minimum) remove the jet pump shaft & disconnect the engine mounts and shift the motor forward in order to obtain enough room to swap it out..

+1
    I have a press, shop, engine hoist...
    i do not have the special tools to remove coupler from the shaft...

from the way I understand it, have to remove my fizzle intercooler, intake manifold, exhaust header. Then take electronics box off mid wall, lay on motor... then remove motor mounts and lift motor and shift forward. ( not sure if super charger its elf has to come off or not...
    also remove pump all th way to wear ring, that I just reinstalled, and get prop and shaft out.

then I can remove the IM bearing housing and it will come with the back half of the coupler attached??? But how or if I need the special tools at that point I don’t know or does the shaft and coupler slide out of the bad bearing? Then I can buy new housing and bearing and seals, re assemble, and install? Someone explaining the bearing and coupler side and how they come apart would be helpful as well.

Have to make sure engine alignment is perfect as the bearing it’s self does not adjust or the pump.

then put all the shit back...

or take to non yamha dealer service guy i know and pay 300-600 for laybor he would quote once he sees ski....

+1
    Sounds like you are halfway there - tool-wise.
    For those "special" tools, the manual lists two for this job : 1) a coupler-wrench and 2) a mid-shaft holding tool.
    All they do is help you spin the coupler off the mid-shaft, because the coupler side is what gets pressed out. And yes, the bearing is simply pressed onto the mid-shaft, so measure/note the distance before pressing it out.
    Tool #1 is pretty easy to find - including aftermarket. #2 I couldn't find one for the life-a-me! I ended making one from a cored pump shaft and weld a big nut on the end.

Engine alignment : I pretty much got my technique for this one and its easy. Start aft, and work your way fwd...
    1st install the pump, bolt it tight. THIS establishes the alignment foundation.
    2nd, install the IB unit.... will slide right onto the shaft poking thru the mid wall. The three bolts should automatically line-up with the mid-wall. If not, you may need to revist the pump install. Tip: I like to add a thin thin smear of Moto-Seal where the backside of that IB rests flush against the mid-wall for added insurance. Bolt the IB unit down. The manual illustrates the IB can be shimmed as needed, YET if one does this, it is clearly observed this will hold it away from the wall preventing a good seal - so I tend to never shim the IB.
    3rd, slide the engine aft joining the couplers without the rubber union first, as the rubber can often "hold" the engine in a false-alignment. So align it with an air-gap 1st, shim and note your shimming locations. Measure the couplers perfect!
    4th, back the motor back off the couplers and reinstall the rubber union, and repeat what you discovered/noted in step 3.
    It's not that hard of a job really - its just a PITA.
    Last edited by TimeBandit; 04-01-2019 at 08:14 AM. Reason: corrected press-direction

+1
    So if I don’t need the coupler off the shaft can I just press the shaft with the coupler off together? And then buy my new housing and bearings and seals, press shaft andncoupler back on together or no.

+1
    Coupler must be spun off the mid-shaft, then the threaded side of the mid-shaft gets pushed into and out the aft side of the housing.
    Correction : mid-shaft gets pressed out of the fwd direction.
    A one seal, cir-clip, bearing comes out the fwd side of the housing.
    A cir-clip & two seals, gets pulled out of the aft side of the housing.

Reverse the above with the new housing.
    Last edited by TimeBandit; 04-01-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: corrected press-direction

+1
    I just rebuilt the one for my GP1800 and you can leave the coupler on the shaft. It presses out the threaded side. There is one seal on that side and the circlip for the bearing is in there that has to be removed. The rest are out the back of the housing. Also I did not remove anything from the motor. I just unbolted the electrical from the wall to allow access to the intermediate housing. I lifted the engine and moved it about 2" forward everything still intact.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	446506  

8. +1 by:

+1
    superair - thanks for the correction on the press direction - it been a while since I did mine.
    I do remember a need to remove it however, and I want to say I needed to because otherwise it was near impossible to situate/support the housing body on the press table I had.

10. +1 by:

+1
    So header still on?
    intake manifold still on?
    intercooler still mounted?
    I have a fizzle.

+1
    Yes everything is still in place. I will try and get a picture this afternoon it is still all apart.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information