Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Safe double ski trailer for single car garage

I have a RXT and RXP on a standard double ski trailer which is 98Ē wide and the standard single garage door is 96Ē. I know this has come up before but I still havenít seen a safe acceptable option for two big heavy 4 stroke skis. I know about this trailer http://directboats.com/donawipwctr.html but it really doesnít seem like it will accommodate the skis (only rated to 2000lbs) and at only 78Ē wide thereís room for a wider more stable trailer. I was considering finding a boat or utility trailer that is slightly under 96Ē and have one ski sit slightly higher than the other so they will fit side by side and everything will fit into a single car garage. Anyone done this safely? If it canít be done, Iím considering selling one ski and replacing it with a new SX-R 1500 thatís only 30Ē wide so a trailer under 96 wide will accommodate both safely, just need to find the right dimensions.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    This is a classic problem with standard US single garage doors at 8 feet wide.

Many full size double PWC trailers (meant for use with modern sit down PWC) are 102Ē (8.5 feet) wide, or just a tad less.
    102Ē is the maximum allowed width for highway travel without any special permits, so many trailers are right at that width.

Why the garage single door standard opening is not 9 feet wide?

A related problem is the hull width of full size modern PWC. Two hulls side by side, with just a few inches air gap between, can already be wider than 8 feet. There needs to be some airspace between the hulls as the trailer will flex and jiggle going down the road.

Positioning one hull higher than the other to allow for some width overlap, you may find the necessary height difference to be more than you may be comfortable with. The upper hull will have a sponson hanging down below the rub rail, which must clear the gunwale of the lower hull. And allow a vertical air gap for trailer flex.

If you want the hull sidewall to be above and overlap the lower ski, that might require a big bunk height difference.

If you own the garage in question, it might be better to enlarge the garage door width.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Oh yes, welcome

Thanks! Unfortunately it is a townhouse and there is no widening of the doors. Next house will definitely have room for all the toys though! I was thinking if the heavier ski (RXT in my case) was maybe 6” lower than the lighter RXP, it might work to overlap them. Could be an expensive mistake to find out. Next option would be to trade one of the big skis for a new SXR at only 30” so you’re looking at roughly 78” wide, not a bad width for a 96” wide garage door. Probably is finding a boat trailer that is wider but isn’t ridiculously long. I really don’t want to have to pay over $2000 for that narrow double PWC trailer.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Most standard single garage doors are 9 feet wide. 8 foot is kind of an oddball

Where I’m at (east coast) the standard single garage is 8ft, 9ft is very very rare unless it’s a double car single door garage.

+1
    Hey, Welcome, Jeff!

I don’t know if this is “a solution” for your situation but,

one thing I am looking at is putting together two (or three) of the DIY “bombproof pwc dolly”(ies) the plans for which are in a thread here at GH (and which I will try to paste the link to below).

In essence, getting both skis inside where I want em long-term storage means sliding them off the trailer and leaving the trailer outside (#1 priority for me is skis inside, not the trailers so, the minor inconvenience of sliding the skis off and on between trailers and some well thought out dimensioned dollies (100% by myself) is well worth it, FOR MY PARTICULAR SITUATION. Hope it may assist you, also?

I’m faced with learning how to do more and more work on my own skis which is going to mean me having covered access to them 24/7 and after giving it some thought I’m leaning towards moving our skis onto the aforementioned dollies during our long (Oct thru April) off season and that way I may actually be able to fit not just 2 but possibly, even 3 skis in one side of our 2-car garage.

A lot depends on my getting the height of bunks on the dollies to mate up nicely with the bunks of the Triton trailers (1 single ski trailer and a second, 2-ski trailer) but, if I get it right, it will solve my garage storage problems, fer sure!

Just tossin’ it out there ...

Here’s the thread:
    “BUILT SOME BOMBPROOF STANDS TONIGHT”:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76954

And, the detailed Plans and Cut Guide can be found Post # 142 on thread page # 15 : http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=76954&page=15
    Last edited by Thor; 03-28-2019 at 09:42 PM.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    ... getting the height of bunks on the dollies to mate up nicely with the bunks of the Triton trailers ...
    I have several carts for my watercraft.

I currently use Aquacart AQ-19 which nicely match the bunk height of the Triton double PWC trailers. The Triton single trailers are lower.

Tip: Triton themselves make a storage cart. It is not shown on the TritonTrailers.com web site but any Triton trailer dealer can order them from Triton.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2982089

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2973293

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2975825
    Last edited by K447; 03-28-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Thor, I have definitely thought about the stands, but my biggest issue is restrictions where I live donít allow trailers outside. Iíve even thought about putting the skis on stands and lifting the trailer in sideways but that would be a major pain. I might try to swap one ski for a SX-R, that cuts down 18Ē of jet ski beam but Iíd need to get a boat trailer and customize it to work for both skis. Iíve been looking everywhere for a solution, donít think Iím going to find one.

+1
    I think its magic tilt that makes a double trailer that splits into 2 single trailers. This might work for you. back one in and put the other one in nose first so the trailers are opposite each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information