Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

rebuilding a 2003 GP1300R

I just purchased a used 03 GP1300R with the rear piston melted. I was told it was a rebuilt SBT motor that a customer did not break in properly. After further investigation I found the front 2 cylinders are sleeved and the rear cylinder was orignal Nikasil plated. Would you even try running a motor like this ??? Anyway I purchased another sleeved cylinder and I am going to bore all three out . Now my question is do I run Pro X pistons (which i like) or do I go a cheaper route and run WSM platinums. I am also looking for a vendor who could supply them and a complete gasket kit (Hint Hint) I am also looking to replace my cylinder head or get a used Riva aftermarket cylinder heads to raise the compression to 150 psi. Let me know if anyone can help me put this ski back together again. Any recommendations are truly appreciated.
    Thanks

slower lower Delaware. And have a cottage on finger lake in upstate NY.
    +1
    I wouldn't build one that way and that's why I wouldn't use sbt either. I'd go with pro X. Especially if your upping compression.

+1
    I have seen ring pins come out of those exact pistons on a GP1300

Do you guys know a good place to buy Pro-x piston kits and a reputable place that bores and hones cylinders. I am also looking for some Riva girdled cylinder heads if anyone has them for sale.

+1
    Possibly a silly question: Can you nikasil steel sleeves? Is this how you rescue old cylinders to make them OEM spec again?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dlsderoo View Post
    Do you guys know a good place to buy Pro-x piston kits and a reputable place that bores and hones cylinders. I am also looking for some Riva girdled cylinder heads if anyone has them for sale.
    I purchased mine from SVS Power Sports. Free shipping and $124.73 each - I couldn't find a better price out there.

Beware - I just did a rebuild with Pro-X pistons and they came with the wrong rings. They accidentally packed Wiseco tapered rings instead of the Pro-X notched rings with a large batch of these. Make sure you take a look for this when you open your boxes.

Pretty sure WSM does nikasil boring/honing?

Why not just have the stock head milled? It's less expensive and works great.

+1
    Scratch that part about WSM doing cylinders...I see you're going sleeved for cylinders.

Thanks Kmaher I was reading the post with someone receiving wiesco piston rings with there pro-x pistons. I have also found Pro-x pistons 01.2519.050 for 94.95 each shipped these are .020 over or 84.50mm on Ebay new

Steelmesh

I don't think you can replate over the steel sleeve. And why would you when you can bore and hone it for way cheaper.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dlsderoo View Post
    Steelmesh

I don't think you can replate over the steel sleeve. And why would you when you can bore and hone it for way cheaper.
    I was thinking for longevity, isn't one of the issues with steel sleeves is they wear out quicker?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information