Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vcbb10 View Post
    I am curious, what kind of bracket did you use to mount the transducer? And how did you end up running the transducer cable into the hull?
    I made it out of a piece of 1/4 thick flat aluminum. Shimmed on top of the plate to set it to the right depth in the water. I have the candoo gps speedo module so I got rid of the paddle wheel sensor and used the cable entry into the hull for that. Or you could drill another hole and use something like this

Blue Sea Systems CableClam - 0.68 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UEOIW..._sExMCb34RWW7V

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by vcbb10 View Post
    Gotcha, behind the ride plate. My real goal with the chartplotter and depth is actually for water skiing probably more than fishing. Our lakes here get shallow in weird places and I'm hoping to use this to keep out of areas that get too shallow. For the skiing aspect I was trying to avoid having a transducer that interferes with the back of the ski because I'll be getting on and off quite a bit. I'll have to do some testing to see how well my mount location holds bottom, but, as of now I'm hoping to keep it in the hull even if I have to sacrifice transducer performance. I may well be posting on here in a month or so on a new mount location if it doesn't work out.

These new Garmin transducers are just really dang long making it difficult to mount on the stern.

It sticks out the back a little bit but the boarding step clears easily and there is plenty of room to use the step. You just need to be aware that it’s there when using the step but it hasn’t been an issue for me when using the step

+1
    Very nice and through thread. Thanks for taking the time to do that for us!

+1
    Thanks, Jerry! I've learned a ton from the community here and figured I'd try to give back.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    This is how I did it

I just did this ski over over the weekend. I have set up 3 skis like this now
    How well does it work when the ski is in neutral? I think im going to try this, unfortunately my raymarine doesn't mount like that, so i will have to figure something out. right now im mounted with a bracket from the boarding step, but i dont like it. it only reads to about 25 and seems like it gets beat up when turning and stuff. also doesn't work in neutral.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper9789 View Post
    How well does it work when the ski is in neutral? I think im going to try this, unfortunately my raymarine doesn't mount like that, so i will have to figure something out. right now im mounted with a bracket from the boarding step, but i dont like it. it only reads to about 25 and seems like it gets beat up when turning and stuff. also doesn't work in neutral.

It it seems to work ok in neutral. The turbulence from the reverse bucket can affect it. It still shows depth but if you are using the graphing function on the fish finder it gets a little fuzzy. Reverse makes it fuzzy or even lose contact with the bottom. I ride fresh water but my only testing done with this setup was in salt water when I took a trip to Florida in February. I think it may actually work a little better when I get it in fresh water.

+1
    Took the ski out last weekend and I think it held depth at around 30-40. I'm not exactly sure how well, and it might depend on how smooth the water is. It looked like it gave me a dashed line at higher speeds, and maybe flat lined depth at higher speeds too.

Well, I'm afraid I won't be able to collect much data on which speeds the transducer works well at. While I was testing the chartplotter by slowly accelerating, my ski decided to blow it's brains out, going to jet ski heaven and turning me into a former owner.

Her poor brains all over the hull:

The death of her:

The last good high speed run 5 minutes earlier:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Done.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	448590  

+1
    As far as the bracket goes: I went some decent chop and it obviously held and didn't break anywhere. Being mounted horizontal instead of vertical, it did vibrate up and down quite a bit, making it somewhat hard to read at higher speeds. If I were to do it again, mounting to a a vertical surface would likely reduce vibration, or at least having something bracing the bottom of the chartplotter when the ski hits and bounces in chop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information