Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    +1
    Wow

It appears I have way less space than I was really thinking was there. I have ~ 33" from fwd wall to rear wall. I forgot my midshaft was removed on the side with no motor currently. But eye-balling the other sides motor coupler (the cover was on so hard to see) it looked like from the end of the intermediate coupler fingers to the fwd wall was ~ 26". I was really thinking I had over 30" from coupler to wall but I guess not...

The oil filter is on the back of the block on the TR1. Its inverted. Its always full of oil and when you unscrew it oil goes everywhere. In a boat, the oil filter will be over behind and below the cylinder head right against the back wall. The oil fill and dipstick is back there too (yellow thing) See:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yamaha_TR1-007.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	446008  

On the positive note, the hulls are absolute garbage and damaged VERY easily. So I can see two TR1s coming available quite soon. I love yamahas and I am super disappointed by the difference between the older VX hull and the newer TR1 powered hulls. Especially from a rental boat perspective.

+1
    I can completely understand that perspective. Sacrificing hull thickness/durability for weight savings would not have been high on my list of priorities.

Looking at that picture it appears the oil pan sump is very low in the rear. Its hard to really identify where the rear engine mounts are but straight lining from the front appears to put it just behind that exhaust manifold. I knew some cutting of the lower bed area would be required but that makes it look pretty substantial. I've not seen a similar photo angle of a MR-1 motor or a 1.8L motor. Wonder how much difference there is with their oil pan depths?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raven007 View Post
    On the positive note, the hulls are absolute garbage and damaged VERY easily. So I can see two TR1s coming available quite soon. I love yamahas and I am super disappointed by the difference between the older VX hull and the newer TR1 powered hulls. Especially from a rental boat perspective.
    The VX and VX-C models are not Nano hulls whereas the other VX models are, Just a side note.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernies10 View Post
    The VX and VX-C models are not Nano hulls whereas the other VX models are, Just a side note.
    The TR1 SMC hulls seem thinner when repairing. Some of the same dock hits that peel the paint off old (like 2008/2009) VX110s punch right through the TR1 VX boats.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderteen View Post
    I can completely understand that perspective. Sacrificing hull thickness/durability for weight savings would not have been high on my list of priorities.

Looking at that picture it appears the oil pan sump is very low in the rear. Its hard to really identify where the rear engine mounts are but straight lining from the front appears to put it just behind that exhaust manifold. I knew some cutting of the lower bed area would be required but that makes it look pretty substantial. I've not seen a similar photo angle of a MR-1 motor or a 1.8L motor. Wonder how much difference there is with their oil pan depths?

I think its a perception thing. The TR1 oil tank is bulkier down low, but the scavenge galley on a MR1 hangs pretty low too. Take it with a grain of salt but the inside of the hull doesn't seem that vastly different between the two. Didn't yamaha offer the same hull with both engines for one year? (i really am not sure on this) Either way, engine bumpers will be a crap shoot.

+1
    I do believe Yamaha offered/offers both the 1.8L and the TR-1 in the VX Series hulls. I am sure they did something similar with the 1.8L and MR-1s. But in terms of this boat model Yamaha never offered this particular hull design with a 4-stroke.

Once I get a 1.8L engines dimensions from coupler to furthest fwd point I will be able to look a bit more into things for feasibility research.

+1
    1.8L NA :
    I could not conveniently measure from the engine coupler. That said, all engine should be the same starting from the aft mounts:
    From the rear engine mount bolt-center, to the fwd-most engine body (the oil pump) is 25 inches.

Height : I measured from the inside keel of my ski (lowest point), and up to the highest part of the motor (the plastic shroud atop the valve cover) for 24" tall.
    If your motors are out, repeat this to get the need up/down space.

I wonder how similar the LS2000 engine bay is to the smaller exciter 220.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information