Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    +1

Hydro locked 2015 ultra LX

Pretty sure I hydro locked my 2015 ultra LX. Itís got just shy of 400 hours so I decided it would be a good time to pull the engine and do a thorough rebuild. Didnít help that the tow in my hose clamps didnít do the job and all 4 cylinders and crank case ended up with saltwater in them.

with reliability being the highest priority-what stuff should I replace/upgrade while I have it out. And what are my best options to prevent another hydro lock on the water? In the summer I end up as far as 45 miles offshore fishing for tuna so performance to me is extreme reliability & modest fuel mileage.

and finally, why did Kawasaki move away from dual water boxes? Iíve considered adding a second to knock down on the noise but am not sure what effect this will have on reliability. Could the second water box help or hurt the hydro lock issue? Or is it not gonna make a difference either way?

+1
    Best advice I can give you on reliability is.....Get a Yamaha or Seadoo.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    what an idiotic comment .............

the guys from DANGEROUS WATERS tried the othe brands , any just kept falling apart .......... they stayed with the LX platform for good reason

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pnw_jetski_fishing View Post
    Pretty sure I hydro locked my 2015 ultra LX. It’s got just shy of 400 hours so I decided it would be a good time to pull the engine and do a thorough rebuild. Didn’t help that the tow in my hose clamps didn’t do the job and all 4 cylinders and crank case ended up with saltwater in them.

with reliability being the highest priority-what stuff should I replace/upgrade while I have it out. And what are my best options to prevent another hydro lock on the water? In the summer I end up as far as 45 miles offshore fishing for tuna so performance to me is extreme reliability & modest fuel mileage.

and finally, why did Kawasaki move away from dual water boxes? I’ve considered adding a second to knock down on the noise but am not sure what effect this will have on reliability. Could the second water box help or hurt the hydro lock issue? Or is it not gonna make a difference either way?
    rebuild the pump to 2018 specs with OEM parts ( not ebay or cheap bearings )
    As in any rebuild process …. use good quality water hose and stainless hose clamps are a must. ( replace any hose that has soft spots )

the waterbox has nothing to do with preventing hydro locking the engine...………. that comes from towing the ski to fast ( fit tow taps )

these engines with correct maintenance do 800-1200 hours with out being opened up

Waz

The second waterbox is just wonky. It adds weight and takes up space. I never noticed a huge sound difference between a stock single box boat and a stock dual box boat.

I would go through and replace worn bits and put it back together. Check end play on the crank, inspect the timing chains guides, etc etc. Relap the valves and install new seals. Adjust all the valves back to spec. Its run 400 hours. It will do that and more.

While you are at it, if the pump hasn't had some love lately, give it a once over.

+1
    Thanks for the input. Was planning on doing the pump as well, perfect timing with the engine out. The 1st hydro lock happened before the tow. Was drifting for about 20 minutes fishing, then tried to start up and couldn’t get the engine to rotate. I run a dual battery, both had plenty of juice, and it wouldn’t budge. I do have a fair amount of buildup in the water jackets around the exhaust ports of the head, and was able to find a thread that describes how that would lead to hydro lock. Was planning on OEM parts unless there is a good reason to get a more reliable option. I’m sure once I start tearing it down I’ll have pictures & questions...1st small engine, only done V8’s in the past.

+1
    You still haven't torn it down with saltwater sitting inside? That motor should have been stripped asap.

Back to hydrolock, how exactly can you hydrolock while drifting?

If you get water into the motor from towing all you would have to do is take out the spark plugs and turn it over to spit all the water out of the cylinders. Change oil a bunch of times.

+1
    Flushed the engine with diesel fuel the next morning, saltwater shouldn’t be a problem at this point. If the picture I’m trying to attach is readable, it explains fairly well how the hydro lock happened.

I can’t find the thread I have the picture of (buddy sent me the picture). But there’s a few threads with similar issues after sitting in the water not running, here’s one http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=223227

I considered just pulling the plugs and doing an oil change, but it’s due for an overhaul. And I want to find and fix the original problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B314E8C-769E-4483-9575-D747A3F47F03.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	426.7 KB 
ID:	445960  

+1
    I hydro-locked an old Ultra LX I had the exact same way. Pulled the plugs, changed the oil and ran it another 2 seasons.

In the summer I end up as far as 45 miles offshore fishing

This guy's got guts or is crazy! I would be leery of going that far out in a single engine boat. If you put in around West Palm Beach, FL and go out 5-6 miles, then have engine trouble, you wind up in New England week or two later (like the two teenage boys off of Jupiter, FL couple years back). Just sayin.........to each his own though. I personally would need two motors, two sets of independent batteries, multiple radios, and an emergency locator transmitter to boot.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information