Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    +1

Found a small pin hole in the interior wall of the water box - it’s just inside the exhaust outlet port.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0278CE96-C698-4676-94CD-32CDAE428903.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	448775  

Nice job. Now we talking. Can you show on Seanís beautiful sketch where the hole is located. I am guessing I have the same problem. But donít have a boroscope so will have to chop mine up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    I dont have a loose waterbox to check right now but if I remember I will pickup one on saturday and stick my borescope in to confirm.

Standard disclaimer, the drawing is not to scale, is proprietary and confidential, and should be used for misinformational purposes only. It is also known to the state of cancer to cause California in lab rats.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blakegjones View Post
    Nice job. Now we talking. Can you show on Sean’s beautiful sketch where the hole is located. I am guessing I have the same problem. But don’t have a boroscope so will have to chop mine up.
    I don’t think the sketch is quite accurate as to how water travels through the water box, but is more a conceptual drawing. The one thing I’m confused on, is when I spray water into the inlet it almost immediately started to build up at the outlet... but when I poured water into the outlet, I had to fill a considerable amount before it started to drain from the inlet...I think that would be an indication that it was good?

Yes that does indicate that it is good.

I was hoping you could use Seanís sketch to pinpoint exactly where the hole is that you found.

Itís hard to tell from the images you uploaded.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blakegjones View Post
    Yes that does indicate that it is good.

I was hoping you could use Sean’s sketch to pinpoint exactly where the hole is that you found.

It’s hard to tell from the images you uploaded.
    i don’t have much to report till I get my new water box in and do a side by side comparison on how water flows through them. But from my research anything that breaks the seal of the exhaust port to the 1st chamber of the water box will allow water to build up in the exhaust manifold when it equalizes with the water level...once that happens, surging or shifting weight will let water push into the cylinders with open exhaust valves. The items that can cause this condition would be the exhaust gasket, exhaust manifold water jackets, exhaust collector water jackets, or a hole in the 1st chamber of the water box.

gasket, likely caused by over heating & warping the head
    manifold or collector, likely caused by freeze damage or corrosion
    water box, corrosion or freeze damage

this is is purely based off reading several threads about similar problems by others, and thinking through my issues.

8. +1 by:

Not to trying to hijacking this thread but I believe it pertains to the subject because I believe it's technically about the same engine. I was looking at the service manual and on the exhaust section for the stx15f. It appears the noted water inlets in your drawing are called water hose joints connections, one top and bottom that hook up to two hoses each. I am trying to trace it back in the manual but it does not reference it to another section. Are these the hoses that are connected from the water box, the hoses that go back the by bilge system by the stern? Also the manual explicitly states to turn onto the left side and rolling it on to the right may let water into the engine. How common is it to get water back into the cylinders by just having the motor off and getting rocked around by the waves by being anchored off shore? or killing the engine from wot and having water rushing in from the back? I think that drawing gave me cancer...

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Not to trying to hijacking this thread but I believe it pertains to the subject because I believe it's technically about the same engine. I was looking at the service manual and on the exhaust section for the stx15f. It appears the noted water inlets in your drawing are called water hose joints connections, one top and bottom that hook up to two hoses each. I am trying to trace it back in the manual but it does not reference it to another section. Are these the hoses that are connected from the water box, the hoses that go back the by bilge system by the stern?

On the ULTRA LX (think same applies to the 12 and 15 F), one of the hoses on the top come from the cylinder block and the other on the top goes out to a bolt at the back of the ski just above the it pump nozzle. The bolt has a hole drilled through it so this line is effectively an open drain line. The bottom line comes from the opposite side of the cylinder block.

Also the manual explicitly states to turn onto the left side and rolling it on to the right may let water into the engine. How common is it to get water back into the cylinders by just having the motor off and getting rocked around by the waves by being anchored off shore?

Very common which is why this thread is still going. I am waiting for more information on the waterbox internals from the previous poster, but I am of the view that it is quite easy to overfill the waterbox through the open drain line (the one that goes to the bolt with the hole drilled through), especially when there are two people on the ski and the bolt is submerged below the water line.

I have also found that while rocking the water box with water in it, water spills out the water box hole and into where the exhaust internals are.

or killing the engine from wot and having water rushing in from the back? I think that drawing gave me cancer...

Hey I have embedded my comments in our quote. Sorry on my phone so donít know how to change font and color for my comments etc.

If it would help, I'll have a boroscope tomorrow and will update with a drawing of water the single waterbox looks like on the inside.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information