Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    +1

+1
    With so many reports of this being an issue Iím curious if anyone has contacted Kawasaki directly? Is there even a way to do that? Unfortunately most dealer/shop mechanics I talk to donít have any more definitive ideas for a cause than what has been discussed here.

i would like to believe that capping the exhaust outlet is the fix, but Iím having a hard time buying that this is the cause...just a possible solution to mask it. I say that because I have 3 years & probably a couple hundred hours of drifting in the ocean, engine off, off the Oregon Coast Fishing without incident. Even to the extent of putting my fishing rod in the holder & shifting my weight side to side to jig while eating lunch-which would have been causing a considerable amount of back pressure on the exhaust & still no problem.

which leads me to think the problem is stemming from corrosion and/or a faulty water box, warped head, etc ...just donít know how or where this would happen.

Hi Pnw_jetski

I havenít reported it, I would even know where to start and donít think they would care because my ski is so old (2007).

Thanks for the feedback above, did you ever experience hard starting issues whilst out there? More difficulty than normal to start or rough idling for a few seconds before normalizing?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blakegjones View Post
    Hi Pnw_jetski

I haven’t reported it, I would even know where to start and don’t think they would care because my ski is so old (2007).

Thanks for the feedback above, did you ever experience hard starting issues whilst out there? More difficulty than normal to start or rough idling for a few seconds before normalizing?
    Its been a very reliable machine up till this issue. Never thought twice about it not starting

Well then something has definitely changed. I would start by removing the exhaust and testing with a hose pipe to detect any leaks. If that is not the issue, then it is most likely corrosion at the water box.

+1
    Made this modification to the exhaust outlet. Look kinda ugly, but should be a decent improvement on the back pressure- also added the reed valve that was stock on the 08-09 ultra between the aluminum piece & the hull exhaust fitting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	642ABB26-52C1-4601-99A5-E95EF869222F.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	448676  
    Last edited by pnw_jetski_fishing; 05-22-2019 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Added pictures

I really hope it works for you.

Are you able to post some photos of your waterbox and the drain cooling line from the waterbox out to the back of the ski?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by blakegjones View Post
    I would like to know if there is ANYBODY out there that can tick the following boxes;

1. Has a 2007-2012 ULTRA LX or 12F naturally aspirated ski (the one where the exhaust manifold goes down towards the bottom of the hull)
    2. AND that uses the ski in the sea
    3. And shuts the ski down whilst on the sea for extended periods of time, say +10 mins
    4. AND not had any issues with the engine getting water on top of the pistons
    4X check.
    Only 1 X did I have a start up issue and I took the seat off and waited like 2 minutes and was able to start so it was hot start issue I believe.
    Was a bit dicey though as waves were 2-3' which is not bad but cross-chop made it uncomfortable.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Something to consider as well, if you have a corroded primary waterbox or leaking exhaust collector and you try to start the engine, it will pull any water in the exhaust up the header and into the engine. I found this out while testing a straight pipe. Even on calm flat water.

I don't doubt that water can be forced up the poop chute in waves or by bouncing on the back but its not something I ever had to deal with.

Most of the time, I run without the rubber flap insert and exhaust tip anyways.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Something to consider as well, if you have a corroded primary waterbox or leaking exhaust collector and you try to start the engine, it will pull any water in the exhaust up the header and into the engine. I found this out while testing a straight pipe. Even on calm flat water.

I don't doubt that water can be forced up the poop chute in waves or by bouncing on the back but its not something I ever had to deal with.

Most of the time, I run without the rubber flap insert and exhaust tip anyways.

Sean
    Which piece is the exhaust collector?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information