Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Yes that was the idea of what I was talking about...

it is 100% the surging effect on the exhaust , the exh outlet I used was a metal version on the outside but had the flappy rubber bit and it actuall had some bars on the inside to allow it to seal and not deform........... was not the prettiest outlet... but I didnt bother to modify the OEM turn down to cover it ... it made a massive difference.....
    As for the for the COOLING lines ( flat earthers )being the cause ……. those lines yes drain into the EXH and then the pressure on the outlet forces it back up into an open exh valve ( path of least resistence)

as these flaps was what was needed to stop exact same issue on my centre mount ski boats...…..

Waz

I would like to know if there is ANYBODY out there that can tick the following boxes;

1. Has a 2007-2012 ULTRA LX or 12F naturally aspirated ski (the one where the exhaust manifold goes down towards the bottom of the hull)
    2. AND that uses the ski in the sea
    3. And shuts the ski down whilst on the sea for extended periods of time, say +10 mins
    4. AND not had any issues with the engine getting water on top of the pistons

Mine is a 2015 with single water box and no reed valve/backwash flapper on the exhaust outlet. I did order up a reed valve from the 08-09 ultra that should bolt right on - will this be enough? Or should I go with the flapper version?

I can sit on a drift in the ocean fishing for as much as an hour with the engine off.

Quote Originally Posted by pnw_jetski_fishing View Post
    Mine is a 2015 with single water box and no reed valve/backwash flapper on the exhaust outlet. I did order up a reed valve from the 08-09 ultra that should bolt right on - will this be enough? Or should I go with the flapper version?

I can sit on a drift in the ocean fishing for as much as an hour with the engine off.
    If you can sit on the ocean and drift for an hour and have no issues I wouldnít worry about it provided you keep your ski well maintained and flush properly every time.

What are the sea conditions like? Where I live there is usually quite a bit of swell around and lots of bobbing up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by blakegjones View Post
    If you can sit on the ocean and drift for an hour and have no issues I wouldn’t worry about it provided you keep your ski well maintained and flush properly every time.

What are the sea conditions like? Where I live there is usually quite a bit of swell around and lots of bobbing up and down.
    I ran the ski for almost 400 hours without issues, then it hydro locked 2nd trip this year...now I want to make sure it won’t happen again. I fish the Oregon Coast and typically go out in as big as a 6’ swell with 2’ wind wave...most the time is 4-5’ swell 2-3’ wind wave.

Quote Originally Posted by pnw_jetski_fishing View Post
    I ran the ski for almost 400 hours without issues, then it hydro locked 2nd trip this year...now I want to make sure it won’t happen again. I fish the Oregon Coast and typically go out in as big as a 6’ swell with 2’ wind wave...most the time is 4-5’ swell 2-3’ wind wave.
    Did you find any water leaks from corrosion or other problems that caused the hydro lock. It seems you have fished many times without incident. Something must have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrider View Post
    Did you find any water leaks from corrosion or other problems that caused the hydro lock. It seems you have fished many times without incident. Something must have changed.
    There was a bit of buildup on the water jackets around the exhaust, but no red herring leading to what caused it. I got a couple hundred hours of drifting on the ocean without the ski running with no issues

What about the port side water box muffler? Did you look at the inlet spigot to see if there was any corrosion on the internal pipe that leads into the waterbox?

Maybe someone else on here can comment whether water could flow back into the exhaust pipe from the water box muffler if it is corroded internally - I donít know enough about the internal configuration of the waterbox to comment.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information