Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pnw_jetski_fishing View Post
    Flushed the engine with diesel fuel the next morning, saltwater shouldn’t be a problem at this point. If the picture I’m trying to attach is readable, it explains fairly well how the hydro lock happened.

I can’t find the thread I have the picture of (buddy sent me the picture). But there’s a few threads with similar issues after sitting in the water not running, here’s one http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=223227
    I have known this to be an issue. Particularly when the transom is constantly submerged for some time while sitting.
    I believe the water makes it's way through the exhaust system, not the pump pick-ups.
    I considered just pulling the plugs and doing an oil change, but it’s due for an overhaul. And I want to find and fix the original problem.

I have known this to be an issue. Particularly when the transom is constantly submerged for some time while sitting.
    I believe the water makes it's way through the exhaust system, not the pump pick-ups.
    Outside of a ball valve I do not know what you would do. But I bet if you pulled the plugs and hit the starter until water did not push out in an emergency then replaced the plugs then it would fire. I know that could be dicey if waves or wake are present.
    Nonetheless I'd put a ball valve in there. Since the exhaust outlet was moved to the starboard side I think the issue may be worse then before.
    I have used ABS on my secondary water box bypass and it does not melt so I would not be afraid to use sched. 40.
    Get others input and in reference to above post always file a float plan with the USCG especially when riding alone.

Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    Outside of a ball valve I do not know what you would do. But I bet if you pulled the plugs and hit the starter until water did not push out in an emergency then replaced the plugs then it would fire. I know that could be dicey if waves or wake are present.
    Nonetheless I'd put a ball valve in there. Since the exhaust outlet was moved to the starboard side I think the issue may be worse then before.
    I have used ABS on my secondary water box bypass and it does not melt so I would not be afraid to use sched. 40.
    Get others input and in reference to above post always file a float plan with the USCG especially when riding alone.
    Hey

I have this same issue with my Ultra lx 2007.

If you look at the cooling outlet (drain) line from the port side water box, you will clearly see it is below the water line under any weight condition.

So sitting on the ski, the cooling outlet is submerged below the water level, this means that the port side water box is going to fill up with water and eventually back up into your exhaust.

It is a really stupid design.

The supercharged Ultras donít have this issue because the exhaust manifold routes high above the engine, so not so easy for water to makes itís way back into the engine.

There are four possible solutions here;

1. Replace head of Ultra lX with the supercharged head and then use the supercharged exhaust manifold, exhaust pipe, and port side water box

2. Fit a SPRING LOADED non return valve on the cooling outlet drain line, between the outlet at the hull and the port side water box t connection.

I tried a non return valve that wasnít spring loaded and this option didnít work, which is why my engine is currently on a bench.

3. Route the cooling outlet line high just below your passenger seat and drill a small hole to break the siphon. You will then need to route a line for this small hole out the hill of the ski.

4. Install a ball valve on the cooling system outlet line. - I donít like this option because of the risk in leaving it closed.

These are my thoughts and eagerly awaiting the thoughts of others to get this design flaw resolved.

PS. I pressure tested my exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe and no leaks. I did a second pressure test of my compete cooling system (including exhaust system but excluding port side water box muffler obviously cause itís open ended) and there were also no leaks.

+1
    Great feedback guys, thank you! I’m definitely gonna look at the options of getting that line plugged! On a side note, I found brass shavings in the oil when changing it, so engine is pulled & getting a thorough inspection/rebuild.

Please please donít forget to post your findings here.

I will also continue investigation into why water gets into the exhaust pipe if there are no issues with the head.

+1
    Not sure how much it will help, but I am looking at adding a reed valve from a 2008 LX in an attempt to keep pressure from building up from the exhaust port exit on the hull.

this thread gave me the idea
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...59#post2896759

+1

+1

Which "cooling outlet drain line" are you referring too? The one with the T on water box inlet or the bottom water box connection? Are the flow direction arrows at the T in error? Here is a flow diagram from the service manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooling2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	446974  

Quote Originally Posted by blakegjones View Post
    Hey

I have this same issue with my Ultra lx 2007.

If you look at the cooling outlet (drain) line from the port side water box, you will clearly see it is below the water line under any weight condition.

So sitting on the ski, the cooling outlet is submerged below the water level, this means that the port side water box is going to fill up with water and eventually back up into your exhaust.

It is a really stupid design.

The supercharged Ultras don’t have this issue because the exhaust manifold routes high above the engine, so not so easy for water to makes it’s way back into the engine.

There are four possible solutions here;

1. Replace head of Ultra lX with the supercharged head and then use the supercharged exhaust manifold, exhaust pipe, and port side water box

2. Fit a SPRING LOADED non return valve on the cooling outlet drain line, between the outlet at the hull and the port side water box t connection.

I tried a non return valve that wasn’t spring loaded and this option didn’t work, which is why my engine is currently on a bench.

3. Route the cooling outlet line high just below your passenger seat and drill a small hole to break the siphon. You will then need to route a line for this small hole out the hill of the ski.

4. Install a ball valve on the cooling system outlet line. - I don’t like this option because of the risk in leaving it closed.

These are my thoughts and eagerly awaiting the thoughts of others to get this design flaw resolved.

PS. I pressure tested my exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe and no leaks. I did a second pressure test of my compete cooling system (including exhaust system but excluding port side water box muffler obviously cause it’s open ended) and there were also no leaks.
    See my post below.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    It has NOTHING to do with the cooling line....
    I fitted an exhaust outlet from a ski boat style and it mad a b8g difference..... as 8t stopped the water pressure and the majority of water going back up the exhaust....

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information