Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    It seems that all the problems are on the Ultra LX. Has anyone had this problem on the STX-15F?
    Yes. Quite a few of my customers with 15fs have this but usually the collector corrosion was the problem

+1
    Well, I recently picked up a pair of -15Fs and I'm getting familiar with the exhaust system quickly. One of them had a blown out hose over the coupling. I tore into it tonight and found that the 'piston rings' were intact, but stuck in the grooves. Apparently someone had messed with it before and messed it up. They didn't get the rings compressed enough to get the manifold into the waterbox pipe, and the water box was about an inch farther aft than it should have been. Anyway, I've got another LX for parts and will rob what I need to get the -15F going.

This begs the question, would it be a good idea as part of winterization, to loosen the blue hose over the coupling and squirt some penetrating oil, ATF, or similar lubricant in there to keep those rings in better shape?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Well, I recently picked up a pair of -15Fs and I'm getting familiar with the exhaust system quickly. One of them had a blown out hose over the coupling. I tore into it tonight and found that the 'piston rings' were intact, but stuck in the grooves. Apparently someone had messed with it before and messed it up. They didn't get the rings compressed enough to get the manifold into the waterbox pipe, and the water box was about an inch farther aft than it should have been. Anyway, I've got another LX for parts and will rob what I need to get the -15F going.

This begs the question, would it be a good idea as part of winterization, to loosen the blue hose over the coupling and squirt some penetrating oil, ATF, or similar lubricant in there to keep those rings in better shape?
    You could probably accomplish the same thing by partially packing the waterbox inlet with grease.

Sean

+1
    Thanks, Sean!

I just robbed a hose from my wrecked Ultra LX parts 'Ski and I'm going back together with it now. Got the 'piston rings' and grooves cleaned up. I'll give the grease a try. I hope to try it on the water again tomorrow.

+1
    I use the really thin blue painters tape on the rings to hold them in for install. It has worked well on all the ones I have had to service.

Kawi calls for some paper tape that I didn't have so I gave it a try with no issues.

Sean

6. +1 by:

+1
    I was able to get it together fairly easily after I figured out the secret of removing the 4-1 pipe from the exhaust manifold. I removed the rings from the 4-1 pipe, slid it into the waterbox and measured how far it went in. Then, I put the rings and hose on, carefully slid it back into the waterbox, measured for proper length, then clamped the hose. Then I bolted the assembly to the manifold.

I'd like to test it in the water before winterizing it, but it's running badly on the trailer. I think it's the high pressure filter. I had removed it and backflushed it after finding water in the gas, but I think it's still bad. I drained the tank and got a bunch of water. I pulled the fuel pumps out of both 'Skis and was amazed at how good they looked. They didn't look like they were more than a year or two old. My parts 'Ski (Ultra LX) doesn't have the high pressure filter, so I'll have to order one.

+1
    I was able to get it together fairly easily after I figured out the secret of removing the 4-1 pipe from the exhaust manifold. I removed the rings from the 4-1 pipe, slid it into the waterbox and measured how far it went in. Then, I put the rings and hose on, carefully slid it back into the waterbox, measured for proper length, then clamped the hose. Then I bolted the assembly to the manifold.

I'd like to test it in the water before winterizing it, but it's running badly on the trailer. I think it's the high pressure filter. I had removed it and backflushed it after finding water in the gas, but I think it's still bad. I drained the tank and got a bunch of water. I pulled the fuel pumps out of both 'Skis and was amazed at how good they looked. They didn't look like they were more than a year or two old. My parts 'Ski (Ultra LX) doesn't have the high pressure filter, so I'll have to order one.
    I snagged a wsm one but am currently missing the rest of the fuel system so I can't comment on how well it works. There was a thread a while back that had the auto equivalent that was available in parts stores but I am not sure what the p/n was.

Sean

So has there been any updates on this my 08 ultra lx has been doing the same thing.
    It will run happily all day. But if you stop for 5 mins- difficult to start any longer than this hydro-locked.
    I am about to remove the exhaust and have it pressure tested.
    sirbreaksalot are you in Bris? I'm on the Sunny Coast I would really like your thoughts.

Does anyone know if the flap on the exhaust worked?

Last edited by First Ultra LX; 01-23-2022 at 03:49 AM.

+1
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    what an idiotic comment .............

the guys from DANGEROUS WATERS tried the othe brands , any just kept falling apart .......... they stayed with the LX platform for good reason

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread Information