Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Impeller Removal

OMG.......nothing should be this difficult. I shattered a vice! The design of this is in much need of improvement.

I really don't have the proper tools to do this correctly, so I will be making a trip to my buddies shop or the dealership. Funny how it's always what would appear to be the simple things that hold you up.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I made my own prop removal tool for the hitch on my tow vehicle, 20mm impact socket welded onto a reciever, then I use a small stool to rest pump on......best tool ever no vice needed

3. +1 by:

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Spline tool goes inside 20mm socket, the reciever locked with pin won't give and will allow you to stand on your wrench lol remember it's reverse thread, and always use antisieze on threads for ease of removal next time

Quote Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
    OMG.......nothing should be this difficult. I shattered a vice! The design of this is in much need of improvement.

I really don't have the proper tools to do this correctly, so I will be making a trip to my buddies shop or the dealership. Funny how it's always what would appear to be the simple things that hold you up.
    Hi there

I investigated changing my prop and looked at various threads on here and found other who had broken vices or not been able to remove the prop etc.
    I did find one thread where it mentioned driving your car on to your spanner\wrench which is holding the shaft and then using a large breaker bar on the prop. I copied that and thought it was over kill until we kept looking for a longer breaker bar. Ended up using a piece of pipe over 6ft long as a breaker bar and 2 to do the job (you will need someone down low at the prop\shaft if someone 6ft away) it gave loose with a loud snap and I was sure we had snapped the shaft or shattered the removal tool.
    To my surprise the Prop was loose and fitted the new one with ease. I regret not putting some anti-freeze on the threads before tightening as I would not like to do that job again.
    Make an afternoon of the job and invite a mate over to assist and have a few beers and have a laugh. I recall having to buy a big kick arse ring spanner and a quality "deep" socket to fit the shaft holding tool and the removal tool, but don't remember the sizes. Cheap sockets\spanners not going to cut it and a standard vice will simply break.

Cheers

Dave

+1
    Seriously the stupid locks on the ecu connectors had me stumped for a solid 20min I almost said eff it I’m not gonna tune it figured I could pop it out in 5min...not! But now I can in 5min once I figured it out lol

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28958046-FE01-47EB-902D-58E1510F7965.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	445928  

+1
    FYI...Not sure if they still have any, but I found these still in stock at Island Racing last month.

Name:	20190319_150142.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	445945  

8. +1 by:

+1
    There are still some on eBay, just bought one last nite, very well worth the money. BTW, I tried the placing the breaker bar under a tire with a socket on the splines, and a VW axle wrench on the impeller tool, came off like butter. Much easier to put serious weight on the impeller with it on the ground. And no more turning the work bench/tool cart over while breaking the vise.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    FYI...Not sure if they still have any, but I found these still in stock at Island Racing last month.

+1
    I changed my prop in 1 hour the other day. large breaker bar, splined shaft socket, and a 1 1/16 six point wrench. put the breaker bar/socket , and drive shaft end under the tire of your trailer. heat the prop with some map gas, put the six point 1 1/16 wrench on the prop and stomp the shit out of it ( backwards threads, right loose, left tight) it should pop and be free. once you do a few it gets real easy. have fun
    Last edited by txgp1300r; 03-20-2019 at 11:07 PM.

+1
    I use a 6 foot breaker bar in a solid vise and it still take my full body weight to get props off. The trick is to use anti-seize and make sure to torque the prop back on when you re-install... otherwise the engine will crank it super tight.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Here is my home made tool....i never have a headache, I put my spline tool in socket, secure it to my hitch on my car, and get them loose all day long.......but you all keep putting the wrench under the tire thingy........seems like fun

Name:	20190319_180123.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	445949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190319_180110.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	445950  

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information