xlt 1200 carb rebuild/primer pump

Hello all.

I put and SBT motor in my xlt 1200 last year. The carbs had been rebuilt the year before so I didn't rebuild them (wish I had). It was very hard to start after putting the SBT motor in. I was considering either putting a primer pump on it to help alleviate the starting problem, rebuilding carbs, or both.

My Question, do you have to remove the exhaust to add the primer pump? If I have to remove the exhaust anyway, I may go ahead and bite the bullet and do a complete carb rebuild.

Thanks.

+1
    Yes you need to remove the exhaust.
    You have a few options:
    A) If you have not done the Oside Bill recipe re-jet on the carbs and still have the stock accel pump on the carbs you can use that as a primer by rapidly pumping the throttle about 1/3 way while starting. The accel pump then acts as a primer of sorts, it squirts into carb 1&3 and is activated by the first 1/4 or so of the throttle. You can use the choke as well. No $$$ and no wrenching to try the above.

B) Rejet with FA's and remove the chokes - or go premix to have a place on the carbs to put primer lines (or rejet and do premix)

Most folks here will tell you to do the Oside Bill recipe (no shortcuts, follow it exact) to eliminate a mid-range lean condition and add a touch of performance.

To add an external primer you have to either remove the chokes or go premix.

+1
    Dont add a pump ball.

Do it right & rebuild the carbs. Do half ass work & expect half ass results.

+1
    I'm with water worx. Don't add a primer. I feel like unless you're running an agressive port job or racing, there's no need for anything else except the stock choke assembly. Definately upgrade to O'side Bill's carb recipe. You can do everything by only taking the rear 1/2 of the pipe off. If the bolts and rubber boot aren't stubborn it's off in 15 minutes.

+1
    He wants to put a pump ball like a outboard....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    Def not an outboard primer ball...

Plunger type if anything. I added one as a result of removing both the chokes and accel pump. Replaced the fuel selector w the primer as for location. I put small 1/8 check valves on both sides of the plunger to address the notorious leaky plunger pumps. Same one has been on for 3yrs in salt environment, no issues keeping fuel system pressurized. Pretty sure I'd have probs w/out the check valves on the primer lines.

Each ski is a little different, some benefit from a primer, some don't need one. Feel the same w rebuilding the carbs regardless @ 2 yrs since last done. Oside Bill recipe and the fuel return mod are worth doing - both are in the how-to stickies.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia088 View Post
    Hello all.

I put and SBT motor in my xlt 1200 last year. The carbs had been rebuilt the year before so I didn't rebuild them (wish I had). It was very hard to start after putting the SBT motor in. I was considering either putting a primer pump on it to help alleviate the starting problem, rebuilding carbs, or both.

My Question, do you have to remove the exhaust to add the primer pump? If I have to remove the exhaust anyway, I may go ahead and bite the bullet and do a complete carb rebuild.

Thanks.
    I did what someone already suggested: went pre-mix and hooked the plunger primer hoses to the three oil injection nipples. I retained the choke so I didn't have to plug the choke shaft holes. Starts up right away every time. I also apply half-choke when priming, to help deflect fuel towards the intake side.

9. +1 by:

I'm having issues with my xl 1200 beging of the year the ski ran great fired quicker than my four stroke now I've been having issues starting it, I just put a new starter in and don't want to she'll it out so was planing on putting in a plunger but is the only way to do this is by removing the choke assembly? I guess I was unaware that was the only way my skis is not pre mix either

Thread Information