Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil level RXTX 300. Please help!!

Hi I have a new RXTx 300. The oil level was on minimum when I checked it last week (cold) so I decided to add some more till it came on the half way mark on the dipstick. Yesterday I went for a long ride and when I came back I checked again with engine hot, the oil level was over the max line on the dipstick by approx 1/2 inch.

1) should I check oil when engine is hot or cold?
    2) Is there a specific procedure how to check oil level.
    3) If there is too much oil in the engine would that damage the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

+1
    You overfilled it always aim for halftime to 3/4 full never all the way up , they tend to breath oil , idle for 1-2 minutes on the hose or at the ramp when engine is warm .

Quote Originally Posted by SeanA View Post
    Hi I have a new RXTx 300. The oil level was on minimum when I checked it last week (cold) so I decided to add some more till it came on the half way mark on the dipstick. Yesterday I went for a long ride and when I came back I checked again with engine hot, the oil level was over the max line on the dipstick by approx 1/2 inch.

1) should I check oil when engine is hot or cold?
    2) Is there a specific procedure how to check oil level.
    3) If there is too much oil in the engine would that damage the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you are playing around with your oil level. I recommend you get a catch can ASAP.
    Unbeknownst to you, I strongly believe you are loading up your intercooler with sludge.
    An unfortunate Seadoo 300 manufacturer's defect that possibly is being exasperated by your attempt at solving your oil level issue.

RIVA Sea-Doo 4-TEC Catch Can/Engine Breather Kit

Easy to install catch can/oil breather eliminates power-robbing crankcase fumes and oil vapor from your engine's air intake. Increases horsepower by...
    RS19050-BCC-2 $149.95

Last edited by Dreadknotz; 03-18-2019 at 09:16 PM.

4. +1 by:

I re checked before reducing oil by idling it for 30 seconds. Now oil level was 3/4 which is good. can it be I got a false reading because I checked it after tailoring and did not idle it for a few seconds?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanA View Post
    I re checked before reducing oil by idling it for 30 seconds. Now oil level was 3/4 which is good. can it be I got a false reading because I checked it after tailoring and did not idle it for a few seconds?
    Put in on the hose idle for 1-2 minutes make sure craft is leveled turn off let it cool down make sure to turn the water off if the unit is off, do this 1-2 minute idle warm up 2-3 times with 4-5 minutes cool Down in-between to prevent the carbon ring from over heating etc, this should Bring you very close to engine operating temperature You will get a good reading .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    Put in on the hose idle for 1-2 minutes make sure craft is leveled turn off let it cool down make sure to turn the water off if the unit is off, do this 1-2 minute idle warm up 2-3 times with 4-5 minutes cool Down in-between to prevent the carbon ring from over heating etc, this should Bring you very close to engine operating temperature You will get a good reading .

only problem with running on the hose for that long is you’ll cook your wear ring..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbranella View Post
    only problem with running on the hose for that long is you’ll cook your wear ring..
    Say whattttt??? Explain .

Say whattttt??? Explain .
    https://watercraftjournal.com/debunk...bon-ring-seal/

+1
    I think you both misread the instructions . Owners manual 1-2 minutes on the hose , I then said let it cool down for 5 minutes and idle again for 1-2 minutes then again 5 minute cool down , doing this will not burn the Carbon ring .

+1
    I think you both misread the instructions . Owners manual 1-2 minutes on the hose , I then said let it cool down for 5 minutes and idle again for 1-2 minutes then again 5 minute cool down , doing this will not burn the Carbon ring .
    Yes it will. Says so on the internet!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information