Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

18 FXHO water in hull

I have a 18 FXHO I purchased new and now has 100 hours on it. 2 Times ago I took it out and when i pulled the plugs in the hull about a gallon of water came out. I thought maybe when I washed it i did not dry it out completely. So I tilted the trailer and removed the seats and put a fan in the opening and let it sit a week. I made sure there was no water in it. Took it out again today. Pulled it out at the ramp and again about a gallon of water came out the hull plugs when pulled. I checked the hull over and there is no damage at all to the hull where water could get in. At home while flushing it i checked all the cooling hoses and no leaks seen. Any known issues or suggestion to find out where it might be leaking? I appreciate any help.

+1
    Transom could be leaking.

+1
    There isn't near the water pressure from a hose as when the ski is running in the water. A gallon is a good bit of water. One member had his gopro camera in the hull facing the rear and then finally saw water when up to good speed. It was a cooling hose to a fitting on the transom plate, right side if I remember correctly. I had my flush fitting on a VXR stick and leak. One of the best ways to start looking for a leak, after checking all the hose clamps everywhere, is raise the front up and try for at least a 30' angle. Then start filling the hull with water and see if it leaks outside of the hull. You just need the water in the rear 1/4 mainly and that's why raising the front up high is important. I found the VXR leak by using no seat and just idling it for 50 yds. Leaks are a pain and can take time to find. Is it still under warranty? Let the dealer hunt for it and repair. My wife rides a 2018 FXHO. So far, 25 hours, no leaks.

+1
    Transom leaking

+1
    I have the 5 year warranty but do not trust any dealer near me. If i have to take it someplace its a 3 hour round trip. If it ends up being a hose I can call my good dealer and they will send me the part no charge, If it ends up being much more ill send it to the dealer. I will try filling the hull with water today thanks for the suggestions.

+1
    Filled the hull with water and put the ski on an angle. Found a constant drip from the steering cable where it goes through the hull. Looks like the steering cable will need to be replaced.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by C42480 View Post
    Filled the hull with water and put the ski on an angle. Found a constant drip from the steering cable where it goes through the hull. Looks like the steering cable will need to be replaced.
    Is the water seeping out around the steering cable where it passes through the hull?

There is a gasket/seal where the steering cable grommet passes through the hull transom. Perhaps the seal just needs to be investigated.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190317-101853_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	445826
    The first arrow is where it's coming from you can see the stream and the second on is where the drip forms from the stream.

+1
    Glad you found the leak. I too would think it's the seal as mentioned by K447 but the way you explain it, it seems like a faulty cable housing. I'm surprised, with the ski being a year old, that you're having the cable leak like that.

+1
    Just figure out how to post the video its much clearer in the video its coming from the cable. I was hoping i could just reseal where it comes through the hull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information