Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rule Automatic Bilge Pumps

I got the below information from The Rule website.

The question is, do the Automatic pumps perform both of the below actions.
    Ie turns on every 2.5 minutes and if needed, will start pumping If there is
    1-3/4’’ of water in the hull.
    Or does it have something to do with the switch ?

These pumps operate automatically with no need for an external switch, turning on every 2˝ minutes for a approximately 1 (one) second. If the bilge contains water, the pump will sense resistance and will continue to run until no water is present. The computer will then reset itself and the cycle will start again.

What are the on/off settings of the Automatic Bilge Pumps 25S, 27S and 53S?
    The automatic pumps will start pumping only if there is 1-3/4" of water and will pump down to 3/4" (timed based operation)

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    My initial take is that BOTH conditions must occur for the automatic pump activation cycle to recognize water is present.

If less than 1 3/4“ of water depth is present then the automatic pump motor sensing cycle may not notice the water.

There is no switch needed, the bilge pump with water sensing can be directly connected to (fused) battery power. That said, the periodic pump motor cycling will eventually drain down a watercraft battery over time. During storage the bilge pump battery power should disconnected. This is why a switch is sometimes added to the bilge pump circuit.*

In my own watercraft I have the bilge pump connected via an inline waterproof connector plug (Deutsch or WeatherPack). In the off season I unplug the bilge pump.

I dislike having an electrical switch installed inline with a bilge pump. If the switch is inadvertently left in the OFF position then the pump will not auto-sense water, and cannot ‘save’ the boat.

A bilge pump switch adds additional wiring and wire connections, which means more points of potential failure. Especially if the switch has exposed wiring terminals (typical of switches sold for use on ‘boats’). And often the actual switch used is not both marine grade sealed and ignition proof.

* Some automatic bilge pumps have a third wire. It is intended to be connected via a switch to (fused) battery power, and will override the automatic water sensing, forcing the bilge pump motor to run even if no water is sensed. This is optional.

+1
    I use this one here https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pump-.../dp/B00CUOAEIW

It has a electronic water sensor so it doesn't turn on to test for resistance. There are two spots on the body of the pump that when bridged, contacted by water, will trigger the pump.

I also have a 3 way switch wired; off, auto, on

Before every ride I do a test cycle by switching it ON to make sure it runs and then to AUTO.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    I use this one here https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pump-.../dp/B00CUOAEIW

It has a electronic water sensor so it doesn't turn on to test for resistance. There are two spots on the body of the pump that when bridged, contacted by water, will trigger the pump.

I also have a 3 way switch wired; off, auto, on

Before every ride I do a test cycle by switching it ON to make sure it runs and then to AUTO.

I agree with this methodology also!

I have been using the same marine grade Auto-Off-On switch on both of my ski’s for many YEARS.

The Professor can be very opinionated.........

Ok thanks guys

+1
    I use this one here https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pump-.../dp/B00CUOAEIW It has a electronic water sensor so it doesn't turn on to test for resistance. There are two spots on the body of the pump that when bridged, contacted by water, will trigger the pump. I also have a 3 way switch wired; off, auto, on Before every ride I do a test cycle by switching it ON to make sure it runs and then to AUTO.
    According to the description on Amazon, this pump has a built in float switch and NOT 2 points that detects the water? I also use the auto Rule... It has nothing to do with the volume of water in the ski... If there's water, it will keep pumping... If there is no water it will stop... It checks for water every 2 minutes or so yes...

Ok great, my concern was , let’s just say that the pump has just checked the water, then you spring a big leak, then you have to wait approx 2 min for the next check before the pump starts. By that time it could be too late.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gocman View Post
    Ok great, my concern was , let’s just say that the pump has just checked the water, then you spring a big leak, then you have to wait approx 2 min for the next check before the pump starts. By that time it could be too late.
    Yes, this is unfortunately the case... Unless you pick it up (that you are taking in water) and then either switch the pump to "ON" manually, or switch it "OFF" and back to "AUTO", then it will check for water...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SinWolf View Post
    According to the description on Amazon, this pump has a built in float switch and NOT 2 points that detects the water? I also use the auto Rule... It has nothing to do with the volume of water in the ski... If there's water, it will keep pumping... If there is no water it will stop... It checks for water every 2 minutes or so yes...
    "electro-magnetic float switch" there is no mechanical float that goes up and down with water level.

The Rule pumps turn on and check for resistance on the water pump impeller, if there is resistance they assume there's water and they stay on.

+1
    "electro-magnetic float switch" there is no mechanical float that goes up and down with water level.

The Rule pumps turn on and check for resistance on the water pump impeller, if there is resistance they assume there's water and they stay on.
    The word "FLOAT SWITCH" still forms part of the switch type... They try and disguise is with the "electro-magnetic" part

So the switch still contains a float, the float has a magnet that switches a reed switch...

On this video, it's the second pump... The guy clearly says it's a reed switch...

Then, the rule... Yes, it measures "resistance" of the impeller... By "resistance of the impeller" we actually mean that the pump is checking the current (amps) being drawn by the pump motor to determine if it is pumping water or air.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information